OGS.....

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

Pogba has been playing well only recently. It's been 5 years and he's been mediocfr for most of the time. I've not forgotten this. Hope the club doesn't too while renewing his contract.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago Pogba has been playing well only recently. It's been 5 years and he's been mediocfr for most of the time. I've not forgotten this. Hope the club doesn't too while renewing his contract.
No, it’s just like when Ole first took over. When given license to roam forward, Pogba is consistently excellent. His stats when he’s not a DM are consistently phenomenal.The numbers are real, and I’ve pointed this out for years.

So what you’re actually saying is that Pogba is consistently being played in a more attacking role lately. Nothing to do with form, nothing to do with his effort. He’s an attack minded player, always has been been.

I’d prefer that Ole was playing him in a more advanced role in a 4-3-3, hopefully we get the reinforcements in the summer that would allow that.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago And yet against some the leagues shitest teams we've looked toothless.... Bruno, Pogba and Cavani make it happen. Take 1 out, we stutter. Take 2 out, we're impotent.
Ole's playing way better football than our last few managers. Ole >>> Jose > Moyes > Gaal in terms of entertaining football. And the last 3 were all boring as hell.

Gaal was something else though. I remember us playing with zero urgency even when we were behind. :))
That nut.
Yea it was super boring under Gaal. But it was also very obviously phase 1 of creating a team that played like Guardiola teams: dominate possession, play the opposition’s half, and suffocate them.

We’re playing ok now. But we have a very strong squad. I don’t really see a tactical project. We have six players who defend and four who attack. The poor interplay between them is what gives us that disjointed, frustrating feeling. But the four attackers players are way better than most teams we meet, so we usually get a win in the end.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago And yet against some the leagues shitest teams we've looked toothless.... Bruno, Pogba and Cavani make it happen. Take 1 out, we stutter. Take 2 out, we're impotent.
Ole's playing way better football than our last few managers. Ole >>> Jose > Moyes > Gaal in terms of entertaining football. And the last 3 were all boring as hell.

Gaal was something else though. I remember us playing with zero urgency even when we were behind. :))
That nut.
Yea it was super boring under Gaal. But it was also very obviously phase 1 of creating a team that played like Guardiola teams: dominate possession, play the opposition’s half, and suffocate them.

We’re playing ok now. But we have a very strong squad. I don’t really see a tactical project. We have six players who defend and four who attack. The poor interplay between them is what gives us that disjointed, frustrating feeling. But the four attackers players are way better than most teams we meet, so we usually get a win in the end.
Yeah, its clearer to see that now, with hindsight. And he delivered the most dominant performance at Anfield I've seen in years. You look at the players he wanted and if we'd got 3 or 4, where could we have been? As always, its the higher ups who fucked this club over, not Gaal.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago

That nut.

Yeah, its clearer to see that now, with hindsight. And he delivered the most dominant performance at Anfield I've seen in years. You look at the players he wanted and if we'd got 3 or 4, where could we have been? As always, its the higher ups who fucked this club over, not Gaal.
Gaal was one of the original game changers like Fergie and Jose. He's regarded as a pioneer that nudged the game on a notch in the 90s. And I agree with you two that he had the principles of modern football nailed. Not just with his high possession high pressing football, but the changes he made to Carrington.

He made the Glazers fork out millions to replace all of the pitches to those silky, semi-plastic ones that are standard now. Most top teams had them, including City, but we didn't (Glazer neglect). They don't cut up so you can always pass the ball on the deck. They're also quicker so you can move the ball quickly. He also built banks around the pitches so players didn't have to run miles to get the ball back wasting energy, planted trees to stop the wind blowing the ball about and installed floodlights so players could train at night (which was an expectation)

It was all done to aid possession based football.

That was the route to go down. But Ed went with Jose and his anti football anti possession football instead, rendering all that stuff useless. We might as well have had a wet bog at Carrington cos we never used midfield under him. It was the populist choice that made little football sense cos of the football Jose plays and the recent investments we'd made.

But imagine if we'd have got Klopp, Pep or Poch instead of Jose... It was set up perfectly for them to implement their aggressive high pressing possession based football. We would then have been a part of this glorious era were assertive attacking teams win all of the big trophies. But instead we had to make do with the league cup and the Europa under Jose.
Last edited by Fuck the Glazers 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I don't think Gaal at his age would have been able to go up against Pep and Klopp. We had to replace him. But we should have hired a manager that continued down the path Gaal built, cos it was a path to modern football and trophies. Jose took us back to the stone age.
bman2
Legend

Yeah I totally agree with all of that. Obviously some of the games under Gaal were beyond frustrating, but that’s because we were essentially watching training. He’d gone back to basics. So that hard work was thrown out when we signed Mourinho.

What frustrating is that OGS has now been given the kind of license to start from scratch that Gaal didn’t have. But Gaal was better suited to it tbh. Much as I like Ole, we’ve never once seen anything like the clear tactics or style of play that Gaal was going for. I think Gaal was more like Klopp, where you could see early on how he wanted Liverpool to play, but it took a while and a few transfer windows for the whole thing to really come together. But the plan was obvious.

Our plan just seems to be “we need more, better players”.
bman2
Legend

The best signing we could make this summer would be a top tactical assistant manager, to do for Ole what Queiroz did for Ferguson. There were lots of complaints about Queiroz’s tactics in the first few seasons as well, just like Gaal. People
moaning about 4-5-1 and all that. But that laid the foundation for an amazing defense, that only had Carrick as a deep playing midfielder. Better players helps, but we have for more players dedicated to defending now and we’re still pretty shit at it. That’s we’re crap tactics is showing.
fat maradona
Legend

Spot on Sid
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago The best signing we could make this summer would be a top tactical assistant manager, to do for Ole what Queiroz did for Ferguson. There were lots of complaints about Queiroz’s tactics in the first few seasons as well, just like Gaal. People
moaning about 4-5-1 and all that. But that laid the foundation for an amazing defense, that only had Carrick as a deep playing midfielder. Better players helps, but we have for more players dedicated to defending now and we’re still pretty shit at it. That’s we’re crap tactics is showing.
Ole has achieved more than Gaal and Jose with less money spent. So were Gaal and Jose tactically naive or did Ole charm the players into consistently better performances over 3 seasons?
It can't be because of his transfer record since it was shit.
Last edited by dozer 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.