Vs Southampton

Forum for match day threads
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

5 years ago

That can be the problem with the 4231 system. If the two holding midfielders sit too deep, it creates a big gap between back and front. Until Schweini came on that seemed to be what was happening.
dozer
Legend

5 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:Nobodys denying Rooney's shitness Siddles. but the real picture was evident again today. Not only has he returned from injury but he was clearly under instruction to cover arses in the midfield. No matter how its dressed up, its not his position, but he got on with it.
He's not a no 10 eh? His best position is on the bench. :))
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:Nobodys denying Rooney's shitness Siddles. but the real picture was evident again today. Not only has he returned from injury but he was clearly under instruction to cover arses in the midfield. No matter how its dressed up, its not his position, but he got on with it.
Well it seems like you are, like here you're implying that Rooney wasn't shit, he was covering arses aka it was others players' and Gaal's fault, as well as blaming his injury

Carrick and Schneiderlin being the same player and sitting too deep meant there was a big gap between Rooney at the front of the diamond. But he should have just sat deeper and become the midfielder when he needed to be, then got forward and played in the hole in support of Martial when he could. But he did neither. He didn't do much tbh. Look at his stats and it's about 50 completed passes - almost all sideways or backwards. No assists, crosses, throughballs, shots etc.

Also the formation isn't the reason he gave the ball away often, it isn't the reason he failed to make a simple pass on the counter which would have led to a one on one with the keeper
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

So... missed the game... just watched the MotD highlights... saw nothing of Rooney... and it looked to me like we were lucky to win... aside from some class play from Martial and a couple outstanding saves from De Gea, we'd have lost...

Van Gall don't give a fuck though... he got one over on Koeman, so he's happy... still waiting for the "philosophy" to impress me... it doesn't... dropping points, or just scraping wins against teams we should beat, isn't impressive at all... Van Gall and his bullshit football can fuck off!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

5 years ago

I told you we had this. Pretty nervy at the end. Before we bury Roon, Nev said this as well, he never plays well after an injury layoff. He needs games to get back into shape. It will be fine.....
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:I told you we had this. Pretty nervy at the end. Before we bury Roon, Nev said this as well, he never plays well after an injury layoff. He needs games to get back into shape. It will be fine.....
FFS he missed a whole two games. But you're right, with luck he'll recovery the scintillating form he showed before that prolonged absence from the game. The excuses are getting absurd now. He may well come good again, but it's an objective fact that he's been fucking useless for a dozen or so league games in row now, stretching well back into last season. He doesn't score, he doesn't create chances, he doesn't retain possession. Martial's done more in one and half games than Rooney's done for close to half a season.
Lazarus
Legend

5 years ago

Sid wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Sid wrote:Gaal apparently bollocked or had strong words with Rooney during the game

There are photos on the Caf but no video
It was caught on the live broadcast. It looked like an ordinary conversation. Stop looking for shite Sid. Your worse than the tabloids ffs. Can't see a win, very few will beat Southhampton, we signed the wrong Dutch manager. :-$
I was going by what they said on the Caf because I missed it when it happened. But strong words sound pretty accurate by the sounds of it, as much as you'd like to gloss over Rooney's shitness.

Southampton are a good team though. A couple of brain farts and some top keeping stopped em getting a point. We did well to beat em.

The wrong dutch manager was a joke btw

Ffs

Have you been hanging around the Caf long? It's getting hard to know when your joking, that happens on the Caf as i remember.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Anantax
Legend

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:So... missed the game... just watched the MotD highlights... saw nothing of Rooney... and it looked to me like we were lucky to win... aside from some class play from Martial and a couple outstanding saves from De Gea, we'd have lost...

Van Gall don't give a fuck though... he got one over on Koeman, so he's happy... still waiting for the "philosophy" to impress me... it doesn't... dropping points, or just scraping wins against teams we should beat, isn't impressive at all... Van Gall and his bullshit football can fuck off!
I dunno...i reslly thought we played really well.

We were horrible for first 25 minutes and deserved to be behind, but controlled the game afterwards. Nervy at the end, but to be expected given the poor way we conceded

We squandered away a couple of fast breaks (one in particular where Rooney just had to nudge the ball forward for 5 yards for Memphis but ended up passing it to the only defender around was particularly frustrating

And as I mentioned before our defending of non set piece crosses is horrible. Horrible vs PSV and horrible here. If we defended a little bit better, and took our fast breaks, its easily a 4-1 game
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

Thought we played well too. McNair should have done better for their second goal, but fair dues to Louis for bringing him on.
Also - despite the criticisms about the transfer window you've got to say that, on current performance, bringing in Martial was a very good move. Credit where it's due.
Rooney dropping back to the 10 slot will start to work for us now too I suspect. Not arguing that there are legitimate questions about his performance, but a few more games and I think he'll likely be firing again.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

5 years ago

Anantax wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:So... missed the game... just watched the MotD highlights... saw nothing of Rooney... and it looked to me like we were lucky to win... aside from some class play from Martial and a couple outstanding saves from De Gea, we'd have lost...

I dunno...i reslly thought we played really well.

We were horrible for first 25 minutes and deserved to be behind, but controlled the game afterwards. Nervy at the end, but to be expected given the poor way we conceded

We squandered away a couple of fast breaks (one in particular where Rooney just had to nudge the ball forward for 5 yards for Memphis but ended up passing it to the only defender around was particularly frustrating

And as I mentioned before our defending of non set piece crosses is horrible. Horrible vs PSV and horrible here. If we defended a little bit better, and took our fast breaks, its easily a 4-1 game
Bit of rose tinted specs, but not a million miles away. Bascially, when we're comfortable, we're comfortbale. If we're in front in games, and the opposition lose a bit of bite and their shape, we're ok. But when the opposition have the wind in their sails, playing with urgency or taking the game to us, we lack self confidence and look vulnerable.