Vs Newcastle

Forum for match day threads
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago The sheer top heavy quality in attack won us that. Our defence is shite. Its gonna be a rollercoaster season.
I don't think its the defence, I think its entirely down to those 2 midfield roles in front.
Yeah tbf, the defence is arguably one of the best in Europe except for Wan-Bissaka whose game has dropped off a cliff.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Imagine that game with Lindelhoof at CB, Fred at DM and no Ron up front. Newcastle would have had more chances and probably scored. And we'd have struggled to break them down. It would have been the usual slog against a low block, and probably ended in a draw.

So we have made progress cos in the end it was a routine win.
dozer
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago Imagine that game with Lindelhoof at CB, Fred at DM and no Ron up front. Newcastle would have had more chances and probably scored. And we'd have struggled to break them down. It would have been the usual slog against a low block, and probably ended in a draw.

That was our team last season and we come second. I get that it would have been a lot tougher obviously.
fat maradona
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago Imagine that game with Lindelhoof at CB, Fred at DM and no Ron up front. Newcastle would have had more chances and probably scored. And we'd have struggled to break them down. It would have been the usual slog against a low block, and probably ended in a draw.

That was our team last season and we come second. I get that it would have been a lot tougher obviously.
You and us finishing 2nd last year and it being a step forward and achievement and that bollocks. Reality is we were lucky the rest of the big 6 didn’t turn up otherwise we’d have struggled to make top 4.
bman2
Legend

Well that was fun. You can’t help feeling that’s how we’re going to be this year — fun to watch in attack, but leaky at the back and dodgy in midfield. On current form Lingard deserves to start ahead of Sancho.
swampash
Legend

...still want to see Sancho starting on the right.
bman2
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 years ago ...still want to see Sancho starting on the right.
Yeah it’s funny that after years of talk that he’d solve the right wing problem! I wonder if Ole wants him to link up with Shaw? Like Shaw gets up there more than AWB, so maybe Ole wants a creative player who can cut in and make passes, like Pogba did in the first game. Then on the right he’ll pick between someone who directly attacks the goal, like Greenwood, or someone who’ll act more like a more traditional winger or full back, covering a lot of ground, like Lingard will do if he’s asked. I think of Lingard as kind of the new Park: he can cover a lot of ground and he’ll play whatever tactical role the manager asks. His basic skill is better though.
bman2
Legend

I can definitely see things shaking out that gives Lingard a lot of starts. Because Ronaldo and Bruno will probably always have fewer tactical responsibilities, and Lingard is very mobile and very technically solid.