Vs West Ham (FA Cup)

Forum for match day threads
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

Sid wrote:Payet did fuck all, we did well keeping him quiet.

Fondue was class tbf. I agree with Keown, he can play anywhere across the backline

Also Gaal's football clearly works better away from home, amd especially in big games. It's just not good for home games where the emphasis is on us to break them down.
Our home form is much better though. We've lost more than we've won away this season.
Lazarus
Legend

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Fondue was class tbf. I agree with Keown, he can play anywhere across the backline

Also Gaal's football clearly works better away from home, amd especially in big games. It's just not good for home games where the emphasis is on us to break them down.

"clearly works better away from home", " just not good for home games".

Sid come on, nothing is clear about LVG's football and nothing is good about his football, home or away. Last night wasn't a great game. We played a West Ham team that didn't show up like they did at Arsenal. Anything good was down to young players who know they'll only have to put up with him for one more year, if they are unlucky. The only consistency we have is that we are consistently inconsistant and rarely, if ever, dominate anyone. DeGea kept us in it again.
Wrong... it's the young players who are backing him most... they know they're seeing action under Van Gall, and whether United succeeds or fails, it's good for their careers... a top manager, with ambition to make us great again, and given the budget to improve the squad to a level that we could compete properly in this league and Europe, might keep some of them on, but they'd see much more of the bench than they are now... Van Gall is getting the backing of the players who wouldn't cut it under a better manager with a better squad...

This is the worst United squad in years... major investment, would cost many of them their places... and they know it!

Talk about splitting hairs. I agree with you, my point was, one way or another whatever they think of him he'll be gone in a year. If not before. They were just taking their chances to play well, which is class regardless of LVG.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

Lazarus wrote:

Sid come on, nothing is clear about LVG's football and nothing is good about his football, home or away. Last night wasn't a great game. We played a West Ham team that didn't show up like they did at Arsenal. Anything good was down to young players who know they'll only have to put up with him for one more year, if they are unlucky. The only consistency we have is that we are consistently inconsistant and rarely, if ever, dominate anyone. DeGea kept us in it again.
West Ham did show up, just not for the first 45 minutes. But that was partly down to some decent defending (Fondue) but also the mdifield asserting itself well; nicking the ball and getting it to the forwards. Even Keown who hates United and really hates Gaal said United got their tactics spot on. And even when they came back in to it we kept the main players quiet like Payet who resorted to a couple of desperate dives in the box to get a pen.

The high press plus possession football suits the away team. And now we look for goals on the counter, and have 3 very quick players up front, so there's a threat there. That's another reason West Ham were quiet yesterday, the fear of the counter and two in form players in Rashford and Martial.

"They didn't show up" is overused. For one most teams turn up at some point over 90 minutes and you have to deal with it. And we've had some class away wins like the two league wins at Anfield and City the other week. It's not always because the other team are shite or because we got lucky.
Last edited by Sid on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

I still can't do bold yet.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

West Ham haven't lost at home since august last year. They've beaten Tottenham, Liverpool twice, Chelsea, drew with City.

And then Rashford found the top corner

Fucking love him
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

Lazarus wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Wrong... it's the young players who are backing him most... they know they're seeing action under Van Gall, and whether United succeeds or fails, it's good for their careers... a top manager, with ambition to make us great again, and given the budget to improve the squad to a level that we could compete properly in this league and Europe, might keep some of them on, but they'd see much more of the bench than they are now... Van Gall is getting the backing of the players who wouldn't cut it under a better manager with a better squad...

This is the worst United squad in years... major investment, would cost many of them their places... and they know it!

Talk about splitting hairs. I agree with you, my point was, one way or another whatever they think of him he'll be gone in a year. If not before. They were just taking their chances to play well, which is class regardless of LVG.
Apologies... the way I read it, it sounded like you were saying the youth were just as fed up with him as the rest, eager to see the back of him... which I don't agree...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."