Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
bman2
Legend

Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:Got to love Carragher's spin on the Sterling situation. He sounds delighted that they have lost the second of their top 3 players

He said it was a "great deal for Liverpool", which in money terms is true. But to Rodgers and any Liverpool fan, he was priceless

But then he said that it 'sends a message to other clubs that they won't let their best players go easily.' Both of them have gone though, within 2 seasons, so they do let them go easily. They got a bit more for Sterling than they should have but in today's market with the new TV deal that's to be expected.

The message it sends is that Liverpool can't keep the top players they now probably can't attract

Some bias is fine, but if he goes too far down the scouse delusion route then you have to axe him as a pundit because he would be unable to do his job properly
Personally, I think he's spot on... Sterling is over-rated to fuck... you're right that Liverpool are struggling to keep/attract the talent necessary to compete at the top level, and that's a serious issue... but Sterling is a pissy little fuck... no way should a kid his age be throwing tantrums like that to get his way... Liverpool need top players, but they're well shot of a problematic little brat, and well paid for it...

Now, they just need to spend that money well, and they're better off without him...

Sterling will get dogs abuse from the Dippers when City play there... and he'll fuckin deserve every bit of it...
His tantrums are pathetic but they're born of Liverpool's shitness, which is self imposed

He wants Champions League football and to play in a team that doesn't sell its best players (as well as more money tbf). Rodgers and the rest of em have failed in these 2 key things, and that results in these millionaire spoilt cunts bitching and whinging. It probably goes on at every team but is not usually as high profile as Sterling

The point I'm making is that they have no one to blame but themselves. And for Carragher to be happy that one of their best players has left, the second in 2 seasons, is daft. He should take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Yeah it's good that they got rid a little wanker, but why was he being a wanker in the first place
I'd have a worse view of Sterling if he had retreated and taken Liverpool's pay raise instead. At least he's shown that he kicked up a fuss in order to play football at a higher level, not just to get bought off. England supporters should be happy, because for that money City must surely intend to play him, he's not just a quota-filler. He could go on to be City's Rooney.
Spudiator
First Teamer

bman2 wrote:I think people are buying into the "ungrateful brat" storyline too much. Sterling's "tantrum" was just a performance that he had to do to make the move happen. For all we know, it could even have been the Liverpool management that asked him to make a spectacle of himself so that the supporters would forgive them for letting him go. I'm sure more cynical stunts happen every summer. If he goes out now and plays a big part in City winning the league this season, his decision will be vindicated just like Pogba's move to Juve or Van Persie's move to United.

The reality is that young players like Pogba and Sterling are impatient, and they've got big time, serious outfits like Juventus and City telling them that they don't need to wait, don't need to demonstrate their loyalty to the cult of Liverpool or Manchester United, and don't need to accept being put in their place by Rodgers or Ferguson when they know they're ready now to compete on the main stage.
I don't buy that. Before last season was even finished he was conducting an interview for the BBC without permission from his club. Between that, calling in sick from training while all this was going on and apparently asking to be excluded from Liverpool's pre-season tour, none of it strikes me as a pre-meditated scheme to dupe the fans, it just seems like a player lacking a bit of professionalism. Now I don't entirely blame Sterling for that, he's a young, impressionable kid with half the world telling him he's already hit the big-time before he's even won anything, it's hardly a wonder if he's got a bit full of himself, but at this age he needs to actually work on developing, if he thinks he's already made it and stops putting in the effort, he's gonna crash and burn very quickly!
bman2
Legend

Spudiator wrote:
bman2 wrote:I think people are buying into the "ungrateful brat" storyline too much. Sterling's "tantrum" was just a performance that he had to do to make the move happen. For all we know, it could even have been the Liverpool management that asked him to make a spectacle of himself so that the supporters would forgive them for letting him go. I'm sure more cynical stunts happen every summer. If he goes out now and plays a big part in City winning the league this season, his decision will be vindicated just like Pogba's move to Juve or Van Persie's move to United.

The reality is that young players like Pogba and Sterling are impatient, and they've got big time, serious outfits like Juventus and City telling them that they don't need to wait, don't need to demonstrate their loyalty to the cult of Liverpool or Manchester United, and don't need to accept being put in their place by Rodgers or Ferguson when they know they're ready now to compete on the main stage.
I don't buy that. Before last season was even finished he was conducting an interview for the BBC without permission from his club. Between that, calling in sick from training while all this was going on and apparently asking to be excluded from Liverpool's pre-season tour, none of it strikes me as a pre-meditated scheme to dupe the fans, it just seems like a player lacking a bit of professionalism. Now I don't entirely blame Sterling for that, he's a young, impressionable kid with half the world telling him he's already hit the big-time before he's even won anything, it's hardly a wonder if he's got a bit full of himself, but at this age he needs to actually work on developing, if he thinks he's already made it and stops putting in the effort, he's gonna crash and burn very quickly!
Right, but I think his convincing response to the argument that he's arrogant without ever winning anything is that he's not going to win anything if he stays where he is. I don't see any indication that he's going to "stop putting in the effort" -- quite the opposite in fact. At City he'll have to fight for his place, but at 19 he's already good enough to be the star at Liverpool, so he's more likely to coast and stagnate as a player if he stays.
Steggo
First Teamer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ol-6054005

Pass the sickbag! I wonder if Raheeeeeeem will reply?
bman2
Legend

Haha. Always banging on with the delusion that a young player should be so honoured to play for Liverpool that they should shut up and not cause trouble, no matter what club comes in for them.
redzebs
Legend

bman2 wrote:
Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:Got to love Carragher's spin on the Sterling situation. He sounds delighted that they have lost the second of their top 3 players

He said it was a "great deal for Liverpool", which in money terms is true. But to Rodgers and any Liverpool fan, he was priceless

But then he said that it 'sends a message to other clubs that they won't let their best players go easily.' Both of them have gone though, within 2 seasons, so they do let them go easily. They got a bit more for Sterling than they should have but in today's market with the new TV deal that's to be expected.

The message it sends is that Liverpool can't keep the top players they now probably can't attract

Some bias is fine, but if he goes too far down the scouse delusion route then you have to axe him as a pundit because he would be unable to do his job properly
Personally, I think he's spot on... Sterling is over-rated to fuck... you're right that Liverpool are struggling to keep/attract the talent necessary to compete at the top level, and that's a serious issue... but Sterling is a pissy little fuck... no way should a kid his age be throwing tantrums like that to get his way... Liverpool need top players, but they're well shot of a problematic little brat, and well paid for it...

Now, they just need to spend that money well, and they're better off without him...

Sterling will get dogs abuse from the Dippers when City play there... and he'll fuckin deserve every bit of it...
His tantrums are pathetic but they're born of Liverpool's shitness, which is self imposed

He wants Champions League football and to play in a team that doesn't sell its best players (as well as more money tbf). Rodgers and the rest of em have failed in these 2 key things, and that results in these millionaire spoilt cunts bitching and whinging. It probably goes on at every team but is not usually as high profile as Sterling

The point I'm making is that they have no one to blame but themselves. And for Carragher to be happy that one of their best players has left, the second in 2 seasons, is daft. He should take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Yeah it's good that they got rid a little wanker, but why was he being a wanker in the first place
I'd have a worse view of Sterling if he had retreated and taken Liverpool's pay raise instead. At least he's shown that he kicked up a fuss in order to play football at a higher level, not just to get bought off. England supporters should be happy, because for that money City must surely intend to play him, he's not just a quota-filler. He could go on to be City's Rooney.

What? He's fuckin shite, Rooney was better at 16 at Everton than Sterling is now ffs!
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Spudiator
First Teamer

Don't get me wrong, Bman, nobody (except the Liverpool fans, evidently) would begrudge Sterling being ambitious and wanting to join a more successful club, but the fact is, he's done nothing of note in his career yet to be acting like he's already an established superstar, or as Alf put it, a "pissy little fuck". Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but he hasn't exactly conducted himself with dignity this past few weeks.
redzebs
Legend

And he's fuckin shit!! Id rather have James Milner even if they were both free agents.

He thought he was class because he could pass the ball to Suarez and do step overs, when Suarez went and Sturridge was injured only Ballotelli took the bad look of him.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: I'd have a worse view of Sterling if he had retreated and taken Liverpool's pay raise instead. At least he's shown that he kicked up a fuss in order to play football at a higher level, not just to get bought off. England supporters should be happy, because for that money City must surely intend to play him, he's not just a quota-filler. He could go on to be City's Rooney.
Ha! He'll be City's SWP, nothing more.
It's not as bad as Welbeck being the new Henry though, Sterling is a much much better player than dat guy.
bman2
Legend

Spudiator wrote:Don't get me wrong, Bman, nobody (except the Liverpool fans, evidently) would begrudge Sterling being ambitious and wanting to join a more successful club, but the fact is, he's done nothing of note in his career yet to be acting like he's already an established superstar, or as Alf put it, a "pissy little fuck". Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but he hasn't exactly conducted himself with dignity this past few weeks.
I get what you're saying, I just think that if he does well at City and City do well, this will be forgotten quickly enough except by Liverpool supporters (and I fully understand them being pissed off). His behaviour has been pissy, but that's just sort of what you have do it seems when you want a move and the club you're with is determined to put on a good show of "standing proud" for their supporters. City is a CL team with basically limitless funds -- if they want a player from a club like Liverpool and the player wants the move, it's going to happen. The insiders probably knew what the price would be before the window even opened, they just drag it out to make it look good and feed journalists with bollocks stories of "City submitting an increased bid", so that club shills like Carragher can come along and peddle the line that "Liverpool did well out of it in the end". It wouldn't surprise me if the deal was done months ago and Liverpool's owners/director/whoever the fuck is in charge said "ok, 50M, but you've got to make it look good, and Sterling has to make a cunt of himself in the public eye, otherwise supporter outrage will not make it worth our while". At the very least, the deal was done before they signed whatshisname the Brazilian, Firmino.

And I'm not having a go at Liverpool in particular, I'd say it plays out like this at least 50% of the time for these supposed "sagas". It's all a bit of a dance for public consumption with some level of understanding already in place. The supporters' enthusiasm for the club has a financial value of its own, after all.