The new rules

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Site Admin

swampash wrote:Just a thought - what if a banned member just re-registers under another handle? Pretty sure, for instance, that PV was banned previously (twice I think?) under other names.

As you rightly point out, there is always this possibility and it requires a certain amount of me paying attention. at the moment, registrations require the admin to activate them - it's been this way for a long, long time due to excessive spambot registrations (i'm deleting around 5 to 10 a day). I also need to do a major upgrade to the forum (more on that later but Ed and I are in the middle of discussing how we should go about this.

Sid wrote:An IP should ban their IP meaning they couldn't just create a new username and start posting again. You can get around it but it requires a bit of computer suss. But then if we have active mods they can just re-ban em.

No. I wasn't prepared previously to post a set of instructions on how to circumvent an IP ban whilst everything was kicking off... but, in the end, it is so unbelievably trivial I might as well de-mystify that since people seemed to think it was some amazing computer skills at play. Not so... just reboot your router and it'll likely pick up a new dynamic address from your ISP. So, an IP ban is completely ineffective in my opinion... but then so is a username ban, ultimately.

I can do rudimentary checks on where someone is registering from and/or posting from but it's not infallible and we might as well just assume that the knobends will re-register since it's evident that wumming this forum is the only thing they live for nowadays. in that event, we'll just have to rely on the mods and other users to identify them and deal with them as and when.

To this end, it would be really helpful if we could collate together and agree on all the ideas that have been posted in this thread so that I can publish a set of rules and the mods actually have something to apply.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I expect they'll try and rejoin too. They'll think Ed is in on the "agenda" now so they'll be raging. There's also the political differences as well, no doubt they'll think Ed is part of the PC brigade.

Anyway, in terms of rules, the stuff I posted on the first page (no racism etc) is what I agree with. Seems most others do as well. I'm happy with that if everybody else is
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

Sid wrote:We need to nail down some actual rules

For me it's piss; no racism, homophobia, misogyny, suicide shit or disability slagging. Basically stick to the the rules that the majority of social media platforms do

We can still tell each other to shut the fuck up, fuck off and call each other cunts etc.

And for the sake of the forum no "agenda" LVG shite because everybody is fed up with it

Anything else?

I think it is now time to push ahead and establish these rules as our own. I alongside Fub and the other mods will now implementing them from now on.

I have asked Fub to join as Mod and help out. I am currently having a busy time of it and with Alf taking a break (I assume) Robbo, myself and Fub will now go ahead and give this place a revamp. I have asked Fub to go ahead with new theme and get this place decent again.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
swampash
Legend

:ymapplause:
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Good stuff
Snoopcousins
Legend

Well - maybe don’t put posts yourself calling God a “cunt”.... that’s pretty bad tbf
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
FuB
Site Admin

Snoopcousins wrote:Well - maybe don’t put posts yourself calling God a “cunt”.... that’s pretty bad tbf

I'm all for a mature discussion about the rights and wrongs of religion but I think we can all agree that belief systems are going to involve even more polarised opinions than football.

I'm appreciative as to why you are pissed off with brian's post in the other teams' thread and i'm in agreement that it's likely to offend. I don't think it was calculated to offend anyone, though.

I think we also need to consider that Unitedroad's post invoking a creator and fatalistic approach to existence can also be somewhat offensive to anyone who doesn't have a religious belief system. Again, I don't think there was any intention to offend.

For me, this is a clear example of how a throwaway remark can offend so can we try and consider that in the future but also draw a line under this particular episode?
Snoopcousins
Legend

Pints statement about Ghe Big man having the final say is a common statement in regards to unexplained deaths and the suddenness of it all...even families will just say it must have been their time and Gods work on a bigger picture etc- as trying to make sense of it

I understand some don’t believe in god but that’s not as bad as calling God a “cunt”....that’s inflammatory

Anyway - I’m not even offended personally , just pointing it out
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
FuB
Site Admin

yes, i'm in broad agreement with you, Snoops.

However, something people need to bear in mind is that Pint's "common statement" is wrapped up in a belief system that plenty of people don't subscribe to and could, feasibly, be annoyed by. Plenty of things can go both ways and often in ways that the original poster didn't expect. we all need to be mindful of that and it's already been stated in this thread that leeway needs to be given unless a comment is so overt and obviously designed to offend that leeway isn't deserved.

thanks for being understanding, Snoops, and you were right to point it out.
swampash
Legend

I’ve lost the plot here...what’s all the God stuff? I’d rather we kept religion out of here to be honest...