The new rules

The original Den of Iniquity
Snoopcousins
Legend

I thought it was Drivel who mentioned the ‘Paddy’ thing?!
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Robbo
First Teamer

Most important I think the following are a ban and a permenent one at that.

Racism
    Homophobic
    Sexist
    Disability

Then as Bman says give people a chance to move on and apologise if needed, if the poster continues then either warnings or ban.

This is why this thread is here to set guidelines but not castrate the forum to point of Rd Cafe and thats speaking as someone who remembers when you could have fun at RedCafe.

Plus as seen Ed will if needed obliterate you from the Forum :-ss
-----------------------------------------------------
FuB
Site Admin

I have to say that there have been some truly excellent and eloquent posts in this thread. Looking back through all of them, even with a theme of applying restrictions on the forum, the overriding message from all of you is one of tolerance and respect.

Anyone who's been involved with this forum for a while, whether they've spent the time posting a lot every day, they sporadically post or they just lurk will surely have (assuming they actually read anything) a fair idea of the other members' personalities and probably their general politics and where their metaphorical "lines" and limits are. Every one of us will have different limits and so, as Ed said, some of this is binary and some of this is subjective. There's always going to exist the possibility of unintentionally offending someone so there will always need to be an element of tolerance.

Still, the knowledge each of us has about each others' characters can be used in one of two ways. We can argue, rant, wind up, have banter, etc. with half an eye on not offending the others or we can argue, rant, wind up, have banter with full intention of offending the others. For me, most of the recent issues on this forum have been due to individuals choosing the latter path.

I'm in complete agreement with bman in that any moderation of this forum needs to be so light handed that it will hopefully not even be needed. Even then, any moderation has to take context into account and, unless the situation is so obviously binary (i.e. who the fuck here thinks that someone could use the 'n word' in 2018 and be able to argue good cause?), there needs to be a warning system set up. This doesn't always have to be in the form of an official formal warning flag on a user's account... maybe just a private "can you cut it out, please?" message. Even then, I'm not sure I think mods should get involved unless there's (a) a post reported to them by a user or (b) an obvious interpersonal flame war developing that's spreading over several threads.

Sid wrote:I see, Swamp. Wrong thread though pal.

@ swampash: I might be wrong but I think this might be Sid's inimitable style in pointing out that you've highlighted thread discipline earlier and then posted that you're off fishing (hope you have a great time by the way!) in a thread about deciding on new rules. I did respond to your post with some questions because I think, since you've brought it up as an issue, it does need clarifying along with any other rules we might want to implement.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

Sid wrote:Good post, Bman.

I see, Swamp. Wrong thread though pal.

Hoho...
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote:I have to say that there have been some truly excellent and eloquent posts in this thread. Looking back through all of them, even with a theme of applying restrictions on the forum, the overriding message from all of you is one of tolerance and respect.

It restores your faith in humanity a bit, doesn't it

Reading through this thread I think it's clear some people didn't want to speak out until Harry and Pint were gone, because it would have just added fuel to the fire and created more division as they would have been lumped in with the "agenda" lot
FuB
Site Admin

that's something else that just has to be knocked on the head right away... this concept of "gangs". For a start, this isn't primary school so, really, get over it! To suggest that people here aren't capable of independent thought is ridiculous and, even on a forum where fierce debate and controversial opinion is welcomed and encouraged, can it really be such a shock that sometimes a group of people might have similar views?
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
marlon
Legend

Sid wrote:We need to nail down some actual rules

For me it's piss; no racism, homophobia, misogyny, suicide shit or disability slagging. Basically stick to the the rules that the majority of social media platforms do

We can still tell each other to shut the fuck up, fuck off and call each other cunts etc.

And for the sake of the forum no "agenda" LVG shite because everybody is fed up with it

Anything else?

Robbo wrote:Most important I think the following are a ban and a permenent one at that.

Racism
    Homophobic
    Sexist
    Disability

Then as Bman says give people a chance to move on and apologise if needed, if the poster continues then either warnings or ban.

This is why this thread is here to set guidelines but not castrate the forum to point of Rd Cafe and thats speaking as someone who remembers when you could have fun at RedCafe.

Plus as seen Ed will if needed obliterate you from the Forum :-ss

Basically agree with this. Not fussed about manners and people can make mistakes. Bans come in when it's deliberate and sustained.
marlon
Legend

I suppose I should add I came back because Harry got deleted. Felt weird being here while he was, even though plenty called him out on his bigotry.
swampash
Legend

Just a thought - what if a banned member just re-registers under another handle? Pretty sure, for instance, that PV was banned previously (twice I think?) under other names.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

An IP should ban their IP meaning they couldn't just create a new username and start posting again. You can get around it but it requires a bit of computer suss. But then if we have active mods they can just re-ban em.