Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
sheesh
Legend

If Pogba goes next summer, we'll need to buy 2 top class midfielders. A DM and a Pogba replacement.

Can anyone see us spending the sort of money we'll need to spend? I can't. We might get one, at best.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago If Pogba goes next summer, we'll need to buy 2 top class midfielders. A DM and a Pogba replacement.

Can anyone see us spending the sort of money we'll need to spend? I can't. We might get one, at best.
And a top number 9. Unless Ronaldo really can still give 2 full seasons in the PL, or Greenwood grows into a number 9 role and Sancho shows a shit ton more than he has early doors.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago Ole wants a certain DM, clearly. He wasn’t available during this window so they’re waiting. This is not FIFA 2021 or Football Manager.

How some can be disappointed with Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo is mental and quite simply, fucking laughable. We’ve binned off James for nearly £30 million.

YES, we need a DM, everyone knows that. We now have January and next summer to really go big on that position.
OK, so another season of “rebuilding” then. Ronaldo is about to turn 37. Isn’t it a waste of time paying him if we’re not going to make a serious go at winning a title?
EVERY SEASON is a rebuild, for all teams mate. Even Man City are rebuilding with Jack for £100 million. Ole wants Rice (apparently) so they couldn’t do it this summer so I’m assuming he’ll go for him next summer or an alternative.

Ronaldo’s “nearly 37” is still better than 90% of forwards out there. Let’s make it clear, Ole has absolutely NO excuses for not going for a serious title challenge, ONE position can obviously hinder to some degree but Fred/Matic/youth player can be masked by tactics and good coaching. If we don’t win the league or a trophy then it’s not because of our DM position. Pressure is on Ole big time.

Also as a side note, I reckon Scott McTom can be our DM!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
dozer
Legend

Ronaldo at 37 is better than Kane.
bman2
Legend

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago EVERY SEASON is a rebuild, for all teams mate. Even Man City are rebuilding with Jack for £100 million. Ole wants Rice (apparently) so they couldn’t do it this summer so I’m assuming he’ll go for him next summer or an alternative.
Yeah of course. The difference is, since Ole took over, the club has this official policy of not trying to win titles because we’re “rebuilding”.
Jason
Star Man

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago EVERY SEASON is a rebuild, for all teams mate. Even Man City are rebuilding with Jack for £100 million. Ole wants Rice (apparently) so they couldn’t do it this summer so I’m assuming he’ll go for him next summer or an alternative.
Yeah of course. The difference is, since Ole took over, the club has this official policy of not trying to win titles because we’re “rebuilding”.
Listen we just have to wait 8 more years, then the rebuild will be complete, and we might just have a title push, if we are lucky. Keep the faith.
Jason
Star Man

dozer wrote: 2 years ago Ronaldo at 37 is better than Kane.
I don't disagree with you as mad as it seems.

Kanes injuries will probably only get worse as he gets older, glass ankles, and Ronnie could keep his level for at least another 2 seasons.
swampash
Legend

What seriously worries me is the hobbit's complete failure to recognise, and act on, our principal needs: RB and DM.
Fred and Metic are not automatic first team choices [far from it in Fred's case]. McTominay is better further upfield, but can fill in at DM, but is injured.
I fear the hobbit will press Pogba into the DM, to keep his standard, highly questionable, 4231 format, which will take Pogba out of his best position, add to his disillusion and hasten his departure. The only alternative, as I see it, is to repurpose someone else to play DM. Lindelof is an obvious candidate, as is AWB. In AWB's case that means fielding someone else at RB, which brings Dalot into contention and might work. Personally, I would shift away from 4231 anyway and play just a singe holding DM, but that's another story...
We are left in the ridiculous position of having two DMs who should not be in a United squad, a talented attacking midfielder who could be pressed into playing a position he obviously hates and is also pretty crap at, a RB who can tackle but is crap in attack.
Meanwhile the club is obsessed with trophy signings in positions where we are already well-served.
This is the sort of shamble that one would not expect to see at any PL club. That it is happening at United is deeply concerning.
dozer
Legend

All clubs seem to start with 2 holding midfielders. We have 2 crap ones.
City, Chelsea, Pool all have 2 holding players.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago All clubs seem to start with 2 holding midfielders. We have 2 crap ones.
City, Chelsea, Pool all have 2 holding players.
The point is that Ole plays two midfielders who barely contribute at all to the attack or to controlling the game. They just don’t have the quality, especially in passing. The position is not as important as what they do. Pirlo and Carrick were holding midfielders because they sat deep, but they were obviously very important to building the attack and to controlling possession.

We’ve also tended to sit very deep defensively, which exacerbates the situation.

Jorginho, Fabinho, Rodi etc are plainly very different players to Fred and McTominay.