Rangnarok: vorsprung durch coaching

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more direct action from the fans due to the absolute shambles of the club despite all the promises & changes (new manager, philosophy, DoF etc)

The Glazers are taking another 11m out of the club on Friday

I also saw some ridiculous pro european super league propaganda in the guardian yesterday, so they might be laying the foundations to try and get the ESL through again
I think so too. Where else do we go from here? We've got nothing. We're a shambles. We're no longer a football club.

all that said, I think the fans will turn on these players too. They've run out of excuses for abdicating their own responsibility to perform and show professional levels of effort.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more direct action from the fans due to the absolute shambles of the club despite all the promises & changes (new manager, philosophy, DoF etc)

The Glazers are taking another 11m out of the club on Friday

I also saw some ridiculous pro european super league propaganda in the guardian yesterday, so they might be laying the foundations to try and get the ESL through again
Despite spending more than almost any other club on players and salaries, United can’t even regularly secure top 4. It’s ridiculous. No wonder they’re desperate for the ESL racket.
This is apparently the second most expensive football squad ever assembled.
sheesh
Legend

The concern for me is that Ralf will end up walking. We'll end up stuck with these players.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Phelan on the case? We're fucking saved.

I'm done with this lot of players. Bruno, Varane and Greenwood aside, the rest can fuck off.
bman2
Legend

Well, I suppose the good news is that this is what cleaning things up looks like: lots of complaining.
bman2
Legend

I suppose what’s really happened is that, until now, United was this island where players could act and get paid like they were at a top club, without having to do the hard work that other top clubs now do. The big change in football over the last ten years or so is the arrival of “systems” coaches that have the players working really hard in athletic terms, while being rigidly stuck to a detailed tactical scheme.

Jose brought a new level of tactical precision and discipline, but it was defensive and preserved players’ stamina. Then the likes of Pep came along and said you can be just as disciplined, but also play in the opponents’ half by running them down constantly. A side issue here is how that’s possible. Has athletic medicine really progressed so much, or will it one day be shown that at some point in the last twenty years, football became as doped as cycling was.

But anyway, United sort of ignored that over the past decade or so. The Glazers obviously don’t know and don’t care, they think they’re in the entertainment business.

But obviously constantly being a losing team can only go on for so long. And now United has hired one of the guys who started all this, Rangnick. It used to be the way guys like Rangnick could make poorer clubs compete with richer ones. Now they richer ones are making their superstars do the same disciplined spadework. And it’s obviously shit for many of our players to have this sprung on them.

A lot of the shit we’re seeing in the press now is also an obvious reaction to Rangnick plainly saying that the likes of Pogba and their agents are unprofessional. Him jetting off to UAE is obviously ridiculous. But these twats and their entourages are livid that some bloke from Germany is just telling the press what everyone already knew.

I think Raif’s attitude is great. Burn it all down if need be. But in reality it’s probably just a few cunts who need shifting for everything to change.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago I suppose what’s really happened is that, until now, United was this island where players could act and get paid like they were at a top club, without having to do the hard work that other top clubs now do. The big change in football over the last ten years or so is the arrival of “systems” coaches that have the players working really hard in athletic terms, while being rigidly stuck to a detailed tactical scheme.

Jose brought a new level of tactical precision and discipline, but it was defensive and preserved players’ stamina. Then the likes of Pep came along and said you can be just as disciplined, but also play in the opponents’ half by running them down constantly. A side issue here is how that’s possible. Has athletic medicine really progressed so much, or will it one day be shown that at some point in the last twenty years, football became as doped as cycling was.

But anyway, United sort of ignored that over the past decade or so. The Glazers obviously don’t know and don’t care, they think they’re in the entertainment business.

But obviously constantly being a losing team can only go on for so long. And now United has hired one of the guys who started all this, Rangnick. It used to be the way guys like Rangnick could make poorer clubs compete with richer ones. Now they richer ones are making their superstars do the same disciplined spadework. And it’s obviously shit for many of our players to have this sprung on them.

A lot of the shit we’re seeing in the press now is also an obvious reaction to Rangnick plainly saying that the likes of Pogba and their agents are unprofessional. Him jetting off to UAE is obviously ridiculous. But these twats and their entourages are livid that some bloke from Germany is just telling the press what everyone already knew.

I think Raif’s attitude is great. Burn it all down if need be. But in reality it’s probably just a few cunts who need shifting for everything to change.
Spot on. We're 10-15 years behind the rest. The first step to solving any problem is recognising you have one. No more quick fixes. This needs a root and branch overhaul. I also agree re. attitudes - We clearly have players that want out because they're not playing - Henderson, Bailly, Beek, Lingard, Martial. None of which will be a loss. We have players who are at the end of their careers and need to go, such as Mata, Matic, Jones. Again, no real loss. And then we may have one or two who's behaviours and mentality are a problem - Pogba and Rashford come to mind.

So it needs an overhaul, and even if we're aggressive in how we go about it, it'll take a couple of years. So be it. Get it done, work to a proper 2-3 year transformation plan, do it properly and have it led by football men who're charged with nailing a progressive, modern style and culture - and so be it.

I'm done with circling the toilet bowl and kidding ourselves that we're not that far away.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

https://www.football365.com/news/rangni ... e-revealed

Similar point here. Specific players casting a shadown because their not featuring, and a damning indictment to our squad management approach. What we're seeing is an accumulation of shitty management and rotten culture, built over a period of years. It needs the same, bullish and authoritative approach that Fergie showed when he got rid of 'the big drinkers'. Get rid of the cunts, and the dross.
swampash
Legend

I agree there are a whole bunch of players that need to be dumped. That will be hard over the January break, so will have to wait until the end of the season. On the positive side there are players in the squad who can adapt to Ralph's modern game and there are also glimmers of hope amongst those who have clearly signed up to his project. I'd include Telles, Dalot, DDG, Greenwood, Sancho, McT and Shaw in that list.
The issue, for me, is that you need to start by having a very mobile back 4. For me that would mean pushing McT into the back 4 alongside, probably, Lindelöf. Telles, Dalot and Shaw look more than capable of playing the new system, but with McT moving into a back 4 you would probably have to look at either Shaw or Telles moving into midfield. I'd probably go for Telles, who might partner well with Fred, who also seems to have improved under Ralph. Ahead of that you've got 2 from Bruno, Greenwood and Sancho. Bruno hasn't got great pace but has a very quick mind, which is often a better asset that straight-line pace. Ahead of that we're a bit stuffed. I agree that Ronaldo has the winning mentality but he's not suited to the modern game at his age. Same problem with Cavani. Solution is probably to move Greenwood forward as a striker and rotate Cavani and Ronaldo in the short term while developing Elanga.
Big unknown is whether donny is saveable?
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ronaldo go back to Lisbon in the summer.