Rangnarok: vorsprung durch coaching

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

I think we should have a new thread for the Rangnick era.

He feels like a breath of fresh air. United has been full of bluffers and chancers for too long. I’m not assuming he’ll be successful, but however things works out, it will nice to have a manager who actually talks about football and tactics in order to explain his decisions. I can’t take any more empty “DNA” or “fine margins” drivel. It hasn’t been worth listening to anyone from United speak in public for a few years.
bman2
Legend

David Gil leaving was the beginning of an era of total incompetence at United. Hopefully Woodward leaving will bring in more common sense at the top. Van Gaal came in and tried to install a style of play, but the club didn’t support him at all. Galactico signings, player power, and Mickey Mouse bullshit. Rangnick will only get anywhere if the club actually follows through behind the scenes, and doesn’t just leave everything at the level of image and bullshit. The way the press has been briefed on things over the last week or two, it does at least sound like the other suits around Woodward at least recognize that they’ve run the place into the ground and need to get their act together.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago David Gil leaving was the beginning of an era of total incompetence at United. Hopefully Woodward leaving will bring in more common sense at the top. Van Gaal came in and tried to install a style of play, but the club didn’t support him at all. Galactico signings, player power, and Mickey Mouse bullshit. Rangnick will only get anywhere if the club actually follows through behind the scenes, and doesn’t just leave everything at the level of image and bullshit. The way the press has been briefed on things over the last week or two, it does at least sound like the other suits around Woodward at least recognize that they’ve run the place into the ground and need to get their act together.
Everyone supported Gaal. His problem was every player he bought was crap for us.
Literally everyone. Look at this list
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/louis-v ... n_id/93863

He also had too much sideways and backwards passing and our team created no chances, and lacked urgency even when we were behind.
We can argue that his system needed time to evolve. But his transfers were just terrible. He spent a lot of money.
Other managers also bought crap but there were some decent purchases.
fat maradona
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago David Gil leaving was the beginning of an era of total incompetence at United. Hopefully Woodward leaving will bring in more common sense at the top. Van Gaal came in and tried to install a style of play, but the club didn’t support him at all. Galactico signings, player power, and Mickey Mouse bullshit. Rangnick will only get anywhere if the club actually follows through behind the scenes, and doesn’t just leave everything at the level of image and bullshit. The way the press has been briefed on things over the last week or two, it does at least sound like the other suits around Woodward at least recognize that they’ve run the place into the ground and need to get their act together.
Everyone supported Gaal. His problem was every player he bought was crap for us.

He also had too much sideways and backwards passing and our team created no chances, and lacked urgency even when we were behind.
We can argue that his system needed time to evolve. But his transfers were just terrible. He spent a lot of money.
The main issue for all those players on that list is that they couldn't cut it at United. Well most of them, some were just broken and past their best but the club took a cheap punt (Bastian, Falcao). Di Maria and Depay were quality players but they didn't settle. Schneiderlin was very decent when at Southampton, he was a regular in the national team etc.

Arnold has already come out and said he doesn't want to learn on the job and seems to prefer handling the general running of the business and leaving the footie side of things to those who know. Hopefully Ralfie will spend the next 2-3 years teaching Murtough and Fletcher and any other cunt who wants to learn how to manage the footballing side and hopefully this is the start of the promised rebuild.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago

When a manager you don't like bought shite players (Gaal), it was all his fault. When a manager you do like bought shite players (Jose), it was Eds fault.

This is half the problem with United; the recruitment is all over the place. But now we have Rangnick to sort it out.

The way Rangnick works is going to trouble top philosophers like Dozer cos he's not all about signing world class players, rather improving good players and putting them into a system that's highly effective. When asked what he does, he said "we simply develop players"

I go back to when Poch had just taken over at Southampton and they battered us at Old Trafford. We won 2-1 but got traumatised by their approach. There were no big names in that team, just lots of good players playing in a ruthlessly effective system. Another lesson we got taught was by Bielsa's Bilbao in the Europa. We got battered then too. That's hopefully what we can emulate but with higher quality players.
sheesh
Legend

I'm really interested to see what he will do with Donny and Sancho, despite the short space of time he will be managing the side for.

You'd think Bruno will enjoy working with him as well.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago I'm really interested to see what he will do with Donny and Sancho, despite the short space of time he will be managing the side for.

Me too. I'm properly up for having a modern system that goes before any individual or name, and for our recruitment to be properly centred around specific types of player rather than 'names'. I'm hopeful that Ralf has a little black book of hidden gems that we can tap into.

Fuck me, when you think about it, its 8 years since we were led by a proper football man. Motivated by winning trophies and working to a proper plan. Possibly even longer, given Fergie's last 2 years were all about squeezing out the last drops of value from his aging stars.

I'm very interested in how he deals with Ronaldo and Pogba too.
bman2
Legend

Apparently he said at a meeting in 2016 that he wouldn’t sign Ronaldo then because he was too old! So that doesn’t sound promising. But I’ve also heard that he can be practical and flexible when it comes to tactics.

No idea how Pogba will get along.

I would think that Sancho and Beek are the obvious good fits, since they’ve come from Rangnick-like systems. Fred’s work rate is a good fit too. Hopefully more structure can reduce the frequency that players like Fred shit the bed. I think Lingard would be a good fit too.

I’m hearing reports that Ole was too soft on some of his favourites, like Rashford and Greenwood. Like maybe they’ve stagnated a bit because he wouldn’t put his foot up their arse. Then we’ve got Bruno and Pogba, who are both only seem to press when they’re in the mood.

By the end Ole seemed to have created a system where 4 or 5 players thought they were the “luxury” player with reduced tactical obligations. If Rangnick fires a rocket up their backsides, that would help a lot. And to be fair, I’m sure some of the players didn’t work too hard pressing because they could see it wasn’t being coached effectively, so there’s not much point in pressing if everybody isn’t on the same page.
bman2
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
sheesh wrote: 2 years ago I'm really interested to see what he will do with Donny and Sancho, despite the short space of time he will be managing the side for.

Me too. I'm properly up for having a modern system that goes before any individual or name, and for our recruitment to be properly centred around specific types of player rather than 'names'. I'm hopeful that Ralf has a little black book of hidden gems that we can tap into.
Yeah we got a bit galactico under Ole. The answer for every problem was always promised to be some big signing in the next window. Not all Ole’s fault I’m sure, but some of it was his fault.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Apparently he said at a meeting in 2016 that he wouldn’t sign Ronaldo then because he was too old! So that doesn’t sound promising. But I’ve also heard that he can be practical and flexible when it comes to tactics.
Depends on the context of the question/response. He was asked the question about whether he’d take Ronaldo or Messi, and he said ‘no, they’re too old and expensive’. Now, he was asked whilst in charge of RB Leipzig and their whole model was based on only signing players 24 and under, for resale opportunity. So it may just be that he was making a point that however good Ronny and Messi are, they don’t fit the model.