The Managerial Merry-go-around.

Manchester United chat
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

So who's next?

Poch seems to be the favourite... I'm not sure what I make of him as a manager. Didn't tend to watch Spurs!

Just going by what I've read, I’d take Ten Hag...
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

What I'd really like to see the club do is appoint a proper structure and ethos that lends itself to modern, attacking, high press football, with a recruitment strategy centered around buying players that fit that system and a coach who's given the time and support to embed that philosophy. That's never going to happen in a million years.

Ten Hag seems like a very capable, bright young coach - exactly the sort who'd fit my statement above. But I think he'd be left completely isolated if he were to come.

Given the mess that the new man would inherit, I think we need more of an older school manager with a bit of devilment about him. That's probably more up Poch's street.

If we were anything like a professionally run, football driven club, we'd do something akin to bring Rangnick in as interim, let him use the next 6 months to part lead and part assess and set a proper vision for the club and identify a permanent successor before stepping up to a technical director/DOF type role.

Either way, we're fucked. Because the people making the decisions aren't football people. And who makes the decision? Woodward? His track record is appalling and he's apparently leaving the CEO role anyway. So does the new guy make the decision before he's actually arrived? Whoever does make the decision, not only is there a massive capability problem, the fact is we're not driven by footballing principles. There needs to be fundamental change and that will need a very strong character which the Board won't like and won't support fully. For example, suppose the new manager comes in sets a playing style that's high energy, high press. And then says 'we can't succeed in playing that way with a 37 year old striker, no matter how good he is. So Ronaldo has to go, or at least be limited to a role in coming off the bench'. Good luck with that.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

We spend so much time talking about philosophies, approaches, structures - I'm not sure I can do it again cos the club don't give a fuck. We don't even have an interim manager let alone a long term manager. No short term plan, no long term plan, no interest in modernising the behind-the-scenes structures... If Carrick does well they'll give it to him. It's all populist, reactionary decisions.

All I know for certain is that the Glazers & Ed will prioritise a manager that will play Ronaldo because he's crucial to the commercial operations. It's the Ronaldo show for the next couple of years.
swampash
Legend

Keep on posting guys, because I am totally convinced that some of the guest lurkers here are football journalists who come here to test the water. Whatever you say will turn up in due course their articles.
bman2
Legend

“Carrick is in charge until we hire someone until we hire someone else” has got to be the worst press release yet from the clowns that run this club. It’s just boring and depressing at this point. We have an exciting bunch of players at the club, and it’s just pointless and going to waste.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Mauricio Pochettino open to leaving Paris St-Germain if Man Utd make approach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59372826

Posting it cos it's on the BBC so presumably more informed than the rest of the speculation going around, but then not if their political news reporting is anything to go by
sheesh
Legend

sheesh
Legend

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 2 years ago So who's next?

Poch seems to be the favourite... I'm not sure what I make of him as a manager. Didn't tend to watch Spurs!

Just going by what I've read, I’d take Ten Hag...
Ten Hag is my first choice, then Poch.

We've also been linked with Julen Lopetegui, but I don't know much about him.

dozer
Legend

What are Ten Hag's credentials?
He was never considered as an elite manager. Its only recently when Ole's sacking rumours started that his name had come up. So how is he qualified to manage United and get us to compete for the title? Genuine question. I have no idea about Ten Hag.
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 years ago What are Ten Hag's credentials?
He was never considered as an elite manager. Its only recently when Ole's sacking rumours started that his name had come up. So how is he qualified to manage United and get us to compete for the title? Genuine question. I have no idea about Ten Hag.
Well his main credential is that he has Ajax playing great football that is very competitive at the CL level. He did it once, got to the CL semis, than half his team was snapped up by other clubs, but now he’s rebuilt the team and is doing it again. So it’s not a very long track record, but it’s definitely impressive.