The Managerial Merry-go-around.

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago I've no idea whether Ragnick will be successful.
The crucial thing will be just how much 'power' Ralf is given......if it's just a token gesture, to appease the fans, then nothing will change and Ralf will fail. He needs to be given total control on the footballing side, working to a budget of course.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago I've no idea whether Ragnick will be successful.
The crucial thing will be just how much 'power' Ralf is given......if it's just a token gesture, to appease the fans, then nothing will change and Ralf will fail. He needs to be given total control on the footballing side, working to a budget of course.
He's clearly been given those assurances. And based on his history, if those assurances aren't kept then he won't hesitate to walk away.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 years ago Agree with all of that Joel - I wonder what/who brought about the change of view in the owners?
I can only think its down to a power shift with Woodward moving out. Either that, or sacking Ole just 12 weeks after giving him a 3 year contract was the final straw for the Glazers. Not that they'll give a shit about the football, but we're at a point whereby even they must be worried about future revenues unless we get back to properly competing.
bman2
Legend

FWIW, I think Gaal throwing himself to the ground in front of the fourth official is still the club’s greatest post-Ferguson managerial moment. That still makes me smile.
dozer
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
swampash wrote: 2 years ago Agree with all of that Joel - I wonder what/who brought about the change of view in the owners?
I can only think its down to a power shift with Woodward moving out. Either that, or sacking Ole just 12 weeks after giving him a 3 year contract was the final straw for the Glazers. Not that they'll give a shit about the football, but we're at a point whereby even they must be worried about future revenues unless we get back to properly competing.
I think Fergie didn't recommend the director of football role.
But that was because he was one himself without realising it. The club had grown so much along with him over 3 decades. A new manager couldn't do all the roles.
Now that United are a sacking club, just like everyone else, then they decided to hire a director of football and it's only now they got someone with actual experience.

I'm assuming/hoping that's what Rangnick will bring, although he's just a consultant after 6 months. I don't even know if it's a full time role.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago
Could be both tbf. It wouldn't surprise me if the Glazers have finally called time on Ed for pissing away so much money. It's all they care about after all.

Also the brilliantly effective anti EDL demos, and then subsequent anti Glazer demos definitely put the shitters up em. Reclaiming Old Trafford & cancelling the scouse game, marching into Carrington, the mob that tried to get to Ed at the Lowry and the sponsor boycott - those 4 actions in particular were hugely effective IMO. It's forced them to take notice and make more of an effort. It's as if the leach has learned to respect the host a bit more to keep it alive.

We're not far off what we want, in name at least; a DoF, Ed gone, a modern manager / philosophy, a quality squad and a club that spends it's own money (remember the no value years?)
bman2
Legend

About Carrick, I’d say it was always known it was going this way. Normally the assistant would leave with the manager, but I guess Ole and Carrick figured it would be best for the club to handle it this way.

The players knew. The Ole situation clearly affected them badly, because everyone really liked him, but more and more lost faith. My impression is that the past few results come from the players just trying harder. They still weren’t better organized, or any differently organized, shipped goals, but heaved and shoved until they just about got each result just over the line.
bman2
Legend

The three most likely managers for next season seem to be Poch, Ten Hag, and Rangnick. Though I don’t get the impression that the club is serious about Rangnick. I’m certain the club will hire Poch, because he has a record at Spurs of delivering regular top 4 with relatively little spend on players. I like all three possible managers more than the managers we’ve signed since SAF. At least they are progressive, playing good football, and except for Rangnick they are youngish. Even Rangnick, despite being in his sixties, seems like a guy who’s hungry.

I don’t really know which would be better for us, but at least for once the club seems to be choosing between decent options, instead of being totally clueless. Took them 10 years to get the slightest clue.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

The squad is primed for a real rebuild this summer. We have lots of players who’ll be moving on, a few young lads like Garner, Laird and Hannibal who’ll be added to the first team ranks. It’s time to go balls out, get Ten Hag in, with Ragnick as a DoF and implement a properly modern style throughout the club, targeting players under 26 who’re primed for their first big contract.

We won’t though. We’ll go for Poch, Rice and Kane, and throw 500K per week at Pogba.
bman2
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 2 years ago The squad is primed for a real rebuild this summer. We have lots of players who’ll be moving on, a few young lads like Garner, Laird and Hannibal who’ll be added to the first team ranks. It’s time to go balls out, get Ten Hag in, with Ragnick as a DoF and implement a properly modern style throughout the club, targeting players under 26 who’re primed for their first big contract.

We won’t though. We’ll go for Poch, Rice and Kane, and throw 500K per week at Pogba.
Yeah I think you're right.