Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

To be fair Gaal did seem like he might have been too dogmatic around the opposition penalty box. There was a narrative that he wanted our players to wait for the perfect shot, and not lose possession making low percentage shots. And it did often look that way watching the games. I remember supporters shouting “shoot!” And “442” (that last one was fucking embarrassing though).

I imagine the truth was somewhere in between. Maybe he was too dogmatic in some ways, but we also had too much player power and celebrity culture, so the club eventually backed the current and former players that were too obsolete to get Gaal’s football. But the overall style of play I thought was absolutely the way forward. Gaal was very clear that he was rebuilding a football philosophy from the ground up. Maybe after another season the narrative about him would have been very different. People forgot that Ferguson initially had mixed results, because he was also trying to change the fundamental philosophy of the club.

TH will be given a better chance because now it’s clear there’s nothing worth saving!
fat maradona
Legend

He reminds me of an 18 year old Giggs, which is fucking exciting tbf. Goal no6 in particular, I hope ETH sees something in him like Fergie did with Guggs.

The only thing keeping me excited about United at the moment is the quality of the youth we have coming through and that we have a Manager who has a track record for wanting to work with youth.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago

He reminds me of an 18 year old Giggs, which is fucking exciting tbf. Goal no6 in particular, I hope ETH sees something in him like Fergie did with Guggs.

The only thing keeping me excited about United at the moment is the quality of the youth we have coming through and that we have a Manager who has a track record for wanting to work with youth.
That's the first I've seen of him after hearing loads. He does look like Giggs aye - even the way he runs. His close control was the thing I noticed, in the box, in front of goal. You would hope Ten Hag can work with him. He'll be 18 in 2 days, so hopefully we'll see him play a bit next season.
sheesh
Legend

dozer
Legend

sheesh wrote: 1 year ago
Good lord! Another clean slate!
I hope this news is bullshit. That channel usually has a load of it.
sheesh
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago
ESPN are pretty good for football news. They're not really in the business of reporting tittle tattle.
swampash
Legend

ESPN are pretty good for football news. They're not really in the business of reporting tittle tattle.
I think that’s the right approach from a new manager.
dozer
Legend

swampash wrote: 1 year ago
I think that’s the right approach from a new manager.
Clean slates won't work when we have so much churn in managers.
Every one gives players clean slates and we have the likes of Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Bailly, Lingard etc becoming club legends because of their long service to the club.
This also leads to player power.
bman2
Legend

Well at least it does say a “clean slate for preseason”. Give them until the end of July to prove themselves, otherwise flog them.

But yeah otherwise the reality is that the very best case scenario is that we sign 4 players.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Ten Hag was always going to back some shite players - he has to, he can't get 22 new players in. And he can't say "fuck me my CBs are shite" cos it will destroy their confidence from day one.

United fans need to understand the position a manager is in. If he still has them in 3/4 windows then you can moan. But not now.