Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

Goalkeepers:
Romero is leaving. I’m not that convinced by either De Gea or Henderson. And De Gea is the best paid GK in the world! The obvious thing to do would be to sign Donnarumma who is out of contract now, though he is another player managed by Pogba’s agent, Raiola. Could we sell De Gea given his wages?

Defenders:
Right across the back line, maybe the only defender we currently have that I really rate is Maguire. And I don’t like Maguire that much, he’s too fucking slow. I really like Telles going forward, which is something we need. Seems a bit shit defending though. I think we seriously lack quality and competitive character in defence. This is also the area where the poor quality of our coaching is the most obvious.

Central midfield:
Fred is bang average, would be happy to sell him. Matic has some great qualities but is past it. McT I like, keep him as a squaddie, have him in rotation. But we have no proper defender nor proper playmaking in the deeper midfield areas, which is unforgivable.
Pogba is the only player that passes for a deep lying playmaker in our squad. Pogba wants to leave, we should sell him.

Attacking midfield:
Situation is better here. Fernandes is one the few players we have who has the necessary quality and competitive nature. Backups are thin on the ground though. Mata is obviously on the way out. De Beek was good for Ajax, but doesn’t seem to be working out at all.

Forwards:
Where we’re best. Cavani is class, but we only have another season of him. Rashford is very good, but he’s clearly being overplayed and carrying several knocks. Greenwood class. Diallo looks promising. Martial I’d sell to put towards another quality forward, like Sancho.

We probably need three significant signings this summer just to stay competitive. I think Ole’s team might have peaked tbh.
swampash
Legend

If we could somehow meld Wan-bissaka’s defensive ability with Telles’ attacking ability we’d have a decent player. I wonder if Telles could be a midfielder?
dozer
Legend

Pogba isn't a top quality deep lying playmaker though. He himself said in a recent post match interview that he can't defend and he's an attacker.
Seems true. He's done better on the left but is he better than a top left winger? No.
He's useful but if we can get a good price for him and a replacement I'll take it. Pogba hasn't improved in the last 6 years.
dozer
Legend

I don't want a right winger anymore. Greenwood has cemented that spot. Sure if we're looking at competition for places we need one. Bur we're lacking elsewhere...

We need a centre back, midfielder and left winger. Perhaps a striker too.
If we can buy more I'd take an other striker and one more centre back. Statistically for any manager there is almost a 100% chance that half of the new players will be duds. Usually only one signing turns out to be good. So buy more. Pep knows this. He buys 2 players per position.

This is just an other transfer thread isn't it?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

If we go into 2022 with one or both of Jose's CBs playing regularly, then we should all stop bothering
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Jason
Star Man

Sid wrote: 2 years ago
Pretty good highlights of the el final tbf.

I was tearing my hair out by this point, tweedle dee passing to tweedle dum, back and again over and over again.
bman2
Legend

Can’t see the Glazers allowing more than one CB brought in. But it’s a shame we can’t just get two and sell all the rest that are sellable. There are plenty of decent ones available this summer, we could get a good pairing if we hadn’t blown so much on Maguire.
bman2
Legend

I’m thinking about the wing/wide forward positions. Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James, Diallo, Lingard, Pellistri, Chong, Pereira, plus Pogba and Mata sometimes. Do you think we have it covered? The bloat in our squad is unbelievable.
swampash
Legend

Yup.
Just need to drop McT into CB and maybe AWB into DM and we might be getting there. Still worried though about our back line options and MF.
Major priority though is a new manager...not going to happen though as long as the owners think the EPL might still be on.