Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

We should have kept Rojo, here he is chinning a security guard after Boca lost a game

bman2
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago We should have kept Rojo, here he is chinning a security guard after Boca lost a game

Keano would approve. You can’t accuse him of not caring at least.
sheesh
Legend

There are a few players we could happily sell, but won't do so.

On the flip side, there are players we could bring in, but won't do so because we're quibbling over a few million here and there.

The people running the club have a very weird mindset when it comes to money. Why are we keeping players like Mata, Matic and Lingard? Dan James? Phil Jones - why did he get a contract extension 2 years ago? I also think the owners and Woodward been incredibly naive with the Pogba contract situation. This should have been resolved one way or the other a year ago, not now. Ridiculous.
bman2
Legend

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago There are a few players we could happily sell, but won't do so.

On the flip side, there are players we could bring in, but won't do so because we're quibbling over a few million here and there.

The people running the club have a very weird mindset when it comes to money. Why are we keeping players like Mata, Matic and Lingard? Dan James? Phil Jones - why did he get a contract extension 2 years ago? I also think the owners and Woodward been incredibly naive with the Pogba contract situation. This should have been resolved one way or the other a year ago, not now. Ridiculous.
Well, in the club’s defence, we did need to change the (accurate) perception that we are suckers in the market who pay far too much for the players we buy and sell our own players for peanuts. So now we haggle when we buy and sell. The downside is that you lose out on a few deals, but I suppose it’s worth it if other clubs finally get the message that the early Woodward years are over.

We still give out stupid wages though it seems, which makes it even harder to sell players.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

There is of course a lot of deadwood. Let’s just worry about getting Varane done, and another midfielder of world class ability. Once that’s done, who cares what our squad numbers are - it’s their worries not ours. We just want the best starting 11!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
sheesh
Legend

Yep, fair enough.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Varane's pace should transform our play. It means we can play with a high line and press the opposition, which in turn means greater control of games and not relying so much on counterattacks

It'll make Maguire better too

And just not having the thick cunt that is Lindelhoof doing dumb stuff, being slow on the half turn, losing every single one v one, not winning headers etc

It's a fucking exciting signing tbh
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

We're building a top team at a time when English clubs are set to dominate Europe (in theory anyway) as Madrid and Barca are fucked. You never know, there might be a European cup waiting for us in the next few years.
fat maradona
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago Varane's pace should transform our play. It means we can play with a high line and press the opposition, which in turn means greater control of games and not relying so much on counterattacks

It'll make Maguire better too

And just not having the thick cunt that is Lindelhoof doing dumb stuff, being slow on the half turn, losing every single one v one, not winning headers etc

It's a fucking exciting signing tbh
I agree, Varane should transform the backline and help us play with a high line. One of his weaknesses mind is that he has a tendency to loiter behind the back line when everyone else is pushing up, and so he'll end up playing the oppo wingers onside. No one is perfect but he's as close to as we can expect at United. Imagine what he'll do for the likes of Tuanzebe and Mengi, those young lads learning from the best sets up nicely for the future too.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I still think we have some big gaps.

Big question marks over the keeper spot, which is scandalous given how much we’re shelling out. I can see the sense in going after Trippier, and we should be able to get him for 15-20m.

Then, we’re missing a top drawer CDM and in a years time we’ll need a top striker. Assuming Varane comes in, we’re still looking at needing to spend 200m on top of that over the next 12 months.

I do think we have some quality youth though. Hannibal, Elanga, Pellestri, Shoretire, Diallo. They all have a shot.