Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago Cristiano Ronaldo hero worship does not mask Manchester United’s flaws

Returning star gave fans their money’s worth in 4-1 win over Newcastle but club would have been wiser investing in midfield

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... dApp_Other
I agree with his analysis. We’re basically still the same wonky team that doesn’t really have a style of play other than counterattacking against big clubs, and the key issue is the midfield. Ronaldo helped paper over those cracks yesterday. We were struggling, but he got two goals, and then Newcastle fell apart a bit at the end and we put a nice gloss on things with two more goals. But realistically, Newcastle are shit, and they still scored against us. We’ve had a really soft opening to the season in terms of opposition, and we’ve gotten a good points return, but obviously struggled in every game except Leeds.

But even if I agree with the analysis, Wilson does come across here as being too invested in Ronaldo not working out. Like, I think his basic analysis is right, but he’s not the only pundit recently who gives me the impression that he wants Ronaldo/United/Ole to come up short. In contrast, every pundit suddenly loves Lukaku now. I do think Lukaku has clearly improved in his couple of seasons in Italy — and that does ask very serious questions about the quality of coaching at United — but he’s not a different player. If the same pundits couldn’t see his potential two seasons ago, they need to ask themselves why.

What should really worry us is that Pogba has 7 assists so far from 4 games. But I’m assuming he’s off in a year’s time and that any hope that he might sign a new contract with us is slim and desperate. So our midfield is about to get a lot shitter than it already is.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Yeah Wilson has been getting shitloads of flak for his United / Ron stance, and I think he's doubled down and is now hoping Ron doesn't work out.
bman2
Legend

Obviously it’s very early days. But City, Chelsea, and Liverpool look on their game. I feel like at least two of them will finish with more than 80 points, at least. It’s good for us that our relatively soft opening games give us more time to “click” without dropping a lot of points. The midfield situation definitely can’t get any worse than it’s been.
fat maradona
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago Yeah Wilson has been getting shitloads of flak for his United / Ron stance, and I think he's doubled down and is now hoping Ron doesn't work out.
Wilson is a one track pony
bman2
Legend

The fact that Ole subbed Beek for Bruno in the last ten minutes probably means he’s not very convinced by Beek’s suggestion that he could play as a 6 or 8.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that Ole subbed Beek for Bruno in the last ten minutes probably means he’s not very convinced by Beek’s suggestion that he could play as a 6 or 8.
Yeah well tbf Beek only played there a few times for Ajax. That doesn't prove he can do it in the Prem. But Ole should have at least given him a few gos, especially given how shit Fred and Matic are in that position.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

We have a glaring problem in midfield, but the biggest problem isn’t the squad, its the manager. I love Ole, but he’s an amateur compared to Koop, Pep, Tuchel.
fat maradona
Legend

Some bizarre decision making going on
Jason
Star Man

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago Some bizarre decision making going on
It is a bit weird, and lingard shouldn't be near the starting 11, but as a squad player he's a decent bench option, can play in several positions.

I just wouldn't be offering him massive wages!