Manchester United to break away from the Premier League

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

I wonder if Flick quitting Bayern is indicative that Bayern are plotting to join?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Florentino Perez did an interview and mentioned games in the ESL being shorter because young people don't have a good attention span, apparently. Considerably shorter is the rumour, like 40/50 minutes. They've lost their fucking minds, honestly.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Ed held a meeting with the players this morning who were reportedly pissed off that the club didn't tell them about their ESL plans. Apparently Maguire confronted Ed on behalf of the players. They've all grafted to get a place in next season's CL, then the owners go and take that away from them and in doing so threaten their careers in the Prem if they're banned.

I'm feeling more positive that the ESL won't happen.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

swampash wrote:
1 month ago
I wonder if Flick quitting Bayern is indicative that Bayern are plotting to join?
Don't they have to get it passed by the fans who own a controlling stake? The spanish clubs still have to consult the socios too, apprently. They've only 'agreed in principle'
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
I actually think the players could have a HUGE say in this. Imagine a joined up, universally agreed position of 'we will not play in any ESL games'. Now, the chances are very slim, but it'd kill it dead. And as I say, if this really does impact on their ability to play for their country, players will absolutely start to give a shit and take a position. There's security in numbers as well. A small number of players speaking out are isolated, but doing it as a collective is a different matter.
The players are going to double their wages in this new format. At least.
I'm not counting on it. That's not how capitalism works.
Take a 100 random people, most of them won't say no to more money. Even if those 100 are rich. Most here in this forum won't either.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Boris Johnson is due to hold a virtual meeting imminently with officials from the FA and the Premier League, as well as representatives from fans’ groups, to discuss the government response to the ESL. The prime minister has said he will examine “everything we can do” to stop the ESL, with possible measures including recourse to competition laws, and as-yet unspecified ways of withdrawing official support for teams involved, potentially connected to areas like work permits, travel or even policing.

We are promised a Downing Street summary of the meeting, due to start more or less now, once it is over.
The meeting is over. This from the guardian:

Boris Johnson told Richard Masters, the chief exec of the Premier League, that he is committed to the free market but that the ESL is “anti-competitive”, saying “we should drop a legislative bomb to stop it – and we should do it now.”
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Also from the guardian, Guardiola carefully spoke out against the ESL:

He wants the best, strongest competition possible, but that it’s not sport when success is guaranteed – “Sport is not a sport when the relation between the effort and reward don’t exist. It’s not a sport when it doesn’t matter if you lose. It’s not fair if teams fight at the top and cannot qualify”.”
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
swampash wrote:
1 month ago
Don't they have to get it passed by the fans who own a controlling stake? The spanish clubs still have to consult the socios too, apprently. They've only 'agreed in principle'
I think they would only need to persuade enough to then hold a simple majority. I'm not familiar with the exact constitutional position on voting at the club and how much actual power the fans have - I'll try and check it later today.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Also from the guardian, Guardiola carefully spoke out against the ESL:

He wants the best, strongest competition possible, but that it’s not sport when success is guaranteed – “Sport is not a sport when the relation between the effort and reward don’t exist. It’s not a sport when it doesn’t matter if you lose. It’s not fair if teams fight at the top and cannot qualify”.”
Interesting. Nev thinks City will be the first to cave in to the pressure, followed by Chelsea.