Manchester United to break away from the Premier League

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The 12 clubs who instigated the breakaway European Super League are not expected to be directly punished by Uefa but could be hit by changes to the new Champions League format that would remove the proposal to award places based on historical performances.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... per-league

They should definitely do this. Fuck em. If we could scale back some of he CL reforms and get fan representation at clubs it would be a massive win.

For all peoples moaning about how terrible football is, now's the best chance we've got to change it for the better
bman2
Legend

I think there have been two big changes to the competitive landscape among clubs. 1) the infinitely wealthy oil clubs like PSG and City. 2) the increased professionalism that has seen some clubs get consistently good results in the transfer market and other aspects of the sport, as demonstrated by Leicester, Dortmund, etc. Manchester City is both infinitely wealthy and well run.

Barca and Real have basically bankrupted themselves trying to keep up with PSG and City. Others like Unites, Arsenal etc have failed to regularly qualify for the CL.

The ESL was an attempt to level the playing field among big clubs.

The thing United needs most is better management. And I don’t mean Ole, I mean transfers and all the rest of it. This ESL crap is what the likes of the Glazers came up with because they don’t have the brains or interest in actually running the club well. You don’t need to actually be good at what you do if you’re in a cartel.
swampash
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago I think there have been two big changes to the competitive landscape among clubs. 1) the infinitely wealthy oil clubs like PSG and City. 2) the increased professionalism that has seen some clubs get consistently good results in the transfer market and other aspects of the sport, as demonstrated by Leicester, Dortmund, etc. Manchester City is both infinitely wealthy and well run.

Barca and Real have basically bankrupted themselves trying to keep up with PSG and City. Others like Unites, Arsenal etc have failed to regularly qualify for the CL.

The thing United needs most is better management. And I don’t mean Ole, I mean transfers and all the rest of it. This ESL crap is what the likes of the Glazers came up with because they don’t have the brains or interest in actually running the club well. You don’t need to actually be good at what you do if you’re in a cartel.
Interesting observations bman
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

All but 2 of the ESL clubs have ruinous debts. Madrid and Barca were allowed to spend on the premise they wouldn't have to pay it back. That changed after 2008 crash. And the debt by the top 3 english clubs who're all owned by yanks could and should have been paid off as these clubs turnover 4/500m a year. But neolib yanks aren't interested in doing that.

So yeah the future of football is perilous because these clubs are fucked post-covid. Changes have to be made. But those changes aren't supporting euro super league monopolies or the unfair sharing of TV money, it's fan ownership. United turn over enough profit to vastly reduce their debts / interest repayments within 5 years, not to mention the hundreds of millions pissed away by Ed's incompetence (Sanchez, GK wages etc). And if fans had the chance to vote for that, they would, cos it frees up money to put back into the club while securing its future.

Anyone supporting an ESL or TV monopoly scenario has their priorities wrong. It's shitting on the rest of football to protect yourself. It's the same thinking the Glazers have.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago I think there have been two big changes to the competitive landscape among clubs. 1) the infinitely wealthy oil clubs like PSG and City. 2) the increased professionalism that has seen some clubs get consistently good results in the transfer market and other aspects of the sport, as demonstrated by Leicester, Dortmund, etc. Manchester City is both infinitely wealthy and well run.

Spot on.
Imo we can't say Glazers out without knowing who's coming in.
All owners seem terrible so unless we're looking for oil money, how do we benefit from Glazers out?
Jason
Star Man

John Barnes pretty much nailing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56829809
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

What the fuck

So either the gov new about the ESL or Woodward kept it a secret from them too. The latter wouldn't surprise me given how many people Woodward has lied to throughout this.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 2 years ago
What the fuck

So either the gov new about the ESL or Woodward kept it a secret from them too. The latter wouldn't surprise me given how many people Woodward has lied to throughout this.
Figuring out whose most likely to lie between a Tory Govt and Ed Woodward is like choosing between a kick in the balls and a punch on the nose
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... league-row

A fine letter and great suggestions, but it won’t happen.