Manchester United to break away from the Premier League

Manchester United chat
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I was just about to post this too. What the fuck.

So it's a new league to replace the CL, and will run alongside the Prem? But not for very long presumably, before they ditch it and get the european super league they've always wanted.

Ed made a great point on the latest pod about how Project Big Picture was the big 6 opening a window for something like this to happen. Because it was so bad, it makes shit like this seem more reasonable.

United & Liverpool need to ditch their yank asap owners cos their particular capitalist approach is fucking shit and it's gonna change the game for the worse. Fuck the fascist dictator clubs but at least their attempts to wash their image results in investment in the club. The yanks just extract money then try and ruin the entirity of european football at the same time.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Football is eating itself. And unless we have major change on the Football Leadership, Recruitment and Coaching side of things, we’ll end up being embarrassed in playing regularly with the big boys.

Zero fucking time for this. tbh if it happens, I think I’ll be done.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

The game is moving more and more away from what I fell in love with.

It's clear the big boys want a 'super league' style set up. For one reason - money. Depressing.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The cost of watching a european super league will be mad cos they'll say the product is premium with the best v the best in europe. Increased season tickets, subscription packages, merch, travel (planes instead of trains) - it's gonna be unaffordable for most fans. But then football has been going after affluent fans for years. A european super league is the culmination of that.
dozer
Legend

United aren't breaking away from the Premier league. It's replacing the champions league. Read the article bri.
Jason
Star Man

dozer wrote: 3 years ago United aren't breaking away from the Premier league. It's replacing the champions league. Read the article bri.
Its how these things work. All these clubs cant just switch directly from their national league to this super league in one move.

This is the first step, and if it comes to pass its the end of the English Premier league as we currently know it, within 10 years of this all those clubs will have made the move permanently.

Its also backed by FIFA which is as big as a red flag as you need.
swampash
Legend

Agree with Ed, this is the beginning of football eating itself.
bman2
Legend

Might be football eating itself, but I don’t think the PL clubs have any interest in leaving the PL. They’ll just be in two leagues, or at least that’s the plan. Europe on Wednesdays, Prem on the weekend. The PL is great business for them, no reason to walk away from it.

Some of the big European clubs might be more interested in ditching their home leagues. PSG most obviously.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 3 years ago Might be football eating itself, but I don’t think the PL clubs have any interest in leaving the PL. They’ll just be in two leagues, or at least that’s the plan. Europe on Wednesdays, Prem on the weekend. The PL is great business for them, no reason to walk away from it.

Some of the big European clubs might be more interested in ditching their home leagues. PSG most obviously.
But the PL will be superseded by a european league pretty quickly cos it's much more prestigious. There's gonna be no Hull v Burnley, it's massive games every weekend, big club v big club. There's only so much broadcast money, and it will be spent on the more prestigious, exciting product. It's curtains for the Prem. Their own tactics used against em tbf.