Maguire

Manchester United chat
sheesh
Legend

I must admit that I'd written Maguire off as ever being good enough at United, but his performances for England have given me some hope that we can get the best out of him.

If we can get this Varane signing done, we'll have someone much more reliable he can partner with than Lindelof.
Jason
Star Man

sheesh wrote: 2 years ago I must admit that I'd written Maguire off as ever being good enough at United, but his performances for England have given me some hope that we can get the best out of him.

If we can get this Varane signing done, we'll have someone much more reliable he can partner with than Lindelof.
He had a great tournament to be fair to him, and he had the balls to step up on the biggest occasion and put himself up for a pen ahead of other established attacking players. Says a lot about his mentality.

His penalty would have been absolutely iconic had England won the shoot out. Absolute thunder-bastard of a pen.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I think England have conceded 2 goals? Stones is a good partner for him because he's quick. They're also great mates coming up through the ranks together. He just needs the right partner to put in performances like that for us.
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 2 years ago I think England have conceded 2 goals? Stones is a good partner for him because he's quick. They're also great mates coming up through the ranks together. He just needs the right partner to put in performances like that for us.
I agree for the most part. Someone like Stones - or Varane - is the right sort of foil for him and compliments his strengths and weaknesses.

However, we ought not to forget that, for England, he's had two DMs (that can actually do the job and move) in front of him as well. Not knocking him. He was a definite positive part of the campaign.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
bman2
Legend

He did have a good tournament. I do think Maguire and Varane could be a strong combination. Hopefully good enough that Ole won’t feel the need to usually play 2 DMs in front of them.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote: 2 years ago
Sid wrote: 2 years ago I think England have conceded 2 goals? Stones is a good partner for him because he's quick. They're also great mates coming up through the ranks together. He just needs the right partner to put in performances like that for us.
I agree for the most part. Someone like Stones - or Varane - is the right sort of foil for him and compliments his strengths and weaknesses.

However, we ought not to forget that, for England, he's had two DMs (that can actually do the job and move) in front of him as well. Not knocking him. He was a definite positive part of the campaign.
He has those 2 DMs in front of him at United a lot of the time though, and him and Lindelhoof are still awful. But then those DMs are Jose's Fred and fucking Matic. Rice is overrated but he's better than those two clowns.

Think this tournament has shown Maguire's metal. He didn't shit himself against Germany, or in the semi which IMO was a harder game because history was on our backs, and it's made every player since 1966 crumble under the pressure. He was faultless in the final against a top team including 3 fast as fuck forwards which are his nemesis. And of course stepping up and scoring a brilliant pen in a final, which is something many great players have failed to do for 50 odd years.

After this tournament I'd trust him in a CL final or a title decider. But I wouldn't Lindelhoof. I wouldn't even want him in the country.
fat maradona
Legend

Aye, fair play to the cunt for having a good tournament and for not being a pussio. Just wish he'd play like that for us more regularly and like has been said above, perhaps a new CB partner and better DMs would bring the best out of him. It's a bit like sticking premium unleaded in your ford fiesta, doesn't make a noticeable difference but it'll run smoother.
FuB
Site Admin

fat maradona wrote: 2 years ago Aye, fair play to the cunt for having a good tournament and for not being a pussio. Just wish he'd play like that for us more regularly and like has been said above, perhaps a new CB partner and better DMs would bring the best out of him. It's a bit like sticking premium unleaded in your ford fiesta, doesn't make a noticeable difference but it'll run smoother.
Nice analogy, fatty, but it's clear as day that Maguire runs on diesel. Loads of torque but no acceleration, more costly to buy and occasionally dirty and smelly.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago He did have a good tournament. I do think Maguire and Varane could be a strong combination. Hopefully good enough that Ole won’t feel the need to usually play 2 DMs in front of them.
Problem is Varane will bring his French temperament which plagued arsenal. What if he's not in the right mood on match day?

Didn't pogba, Mbappe and others have issues during the euros? Was in the papers. Idk if it's true.
FuB
Site Admin

dozer wrote: 2 years ago
bman2 wrote: 2 years ago He did have a good tournament. I do think Maguire and Varane could be a strong combination. Hopefully good enough that Ole won’t feel the need to usually play 2 DMs in front of them.
Problem is Varane will bring his French temperament which plagued arsenal. What if he's not in the right mood on match day?

Didn't pogba, Mbappe and others have issues during the euros? Was in the papers. Idk if it's true.
What is Varane's 'French temperament' and how did it plague Arsenal?