Maguire

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

OliverB wrote: 2 years ago He's an average player, yes he looked good at Leicester but that was in a team with limited expectations, he is a good defender for clubs who want to finish 7th and below but he doesn't have the technical side to his game to be a top, top defender.

That celebration when he scored for England against a crap team the other day shows the mentality of the man, you'd think he had struck the winner against Manchester City, he thought he was the man scoring against a team of league one equivalent players.

Unfortunately we have this trend of trying to spend big on an English player every summer, Shaw, Zaha, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, we can get two foreigners for the price and one of them could be a proven winner, we have good talent in the academy so it's not like we can't just promote some of them to fill the home grown player thingy.

I've nothing against English players, it's just we know their prices are automatically double just because they are English, this is why English teams buy from abroad but only a few foreign teams can afford to buy English players unless they can't break into the first team at their Premier League club.
I don't know.
Fred was 50m. Pogba 85m. Sanchez was the highest paid in the Premier league. They are all expensive and mediocre.
bman2
Legend

The biggest problem with Maguire, apart from turning like an oil tanker, is him being captain. That’s just weird and screams of dinosaur-like unconscious bias. A new signing who was literally the least accomplished member of the squad. Everyone else had at least just won the Europa, while he was bouncing around between the Prem and the Championship. And plenty of our players have won a lot more than the Europa. So on what possible basis was he a choice for captain? It’s worse than anything Moyes did in terms of signalling the manager was totally out of touch. It’s not that important, but it was very telling as an indicator that Ole was out of touch and out of his depth:
FuB
Site Admin

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago The biggest problem with Maguire, apart from turning like an oil tanker, is him being captain. That’s just weird and screams of dinosaur-like unconscious bias. A new signing who was literally the least accomplished member of the squad. Everyone else had at least just won the Europa, while he was bouncing around between the Prem and the Championship. And plenty of our players have won a lot more than the Europa. So on what possible basis was he a choice for captain? It’s worse than anything Moyes did in terms of signalling the manager was totally out of touch. It’s not that important, but it was very telling as an indicator that Ole was out of touch and out of his depth:
To be honest, i think it's one of the most important points. It's clearly just one more slab of pressure (amongst other things) weighing down hard on his slabhead. The fact that he has so eminently shown how he is not up to the task to all and sundry, not least his more accomplished team mates surely has an unnecessary detrimental effect on morale. If it wasn't the start of the rot, it's definitely been a contributor.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
sheesh
Legend

Apparently he's been having private chats with the players. He doesn't have any credibility to tell a Ronaldo, Cavani or Fernandes anything, as has been mentioned above.

In cricket, if the captain is under performing, you take the role away from him so that he can focus on sorting out his form. He wields this completely undeserved influence all because we spunked £80m on him. It begs the question: how much power does a United manager have over these players? Maguire will probably replace Jones in the side tomorrow.

fat maradona
Legend

Fuck me, that twitter clip really does bring it home just how much we mugged ourselves off. He’s not worth £40m let alone double that. He may have gone on to becoming quite decent if he’d stayed at Leicester but I think the United badge wears too heavy on him.
bman2
Legend

Andy Mitten said in some podcast that one of our defenders was complaining about having to cover another one all the time, making him look bad. Sounds a lot like what I’ve always said about Lindelof and Maguire. I think part of what’s gone wrong for Maguire this season is that other players have stopped carrying his load, and now he looks exposed.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

He's a good defender in the right team. He was class for England when he could sit deep and rely on players in front for protection. But that's not us. And as we saw with Jose, who desperately wanted Maguire, it doesn't win major trophies anymore at club level because the game has advanced.

Have to say it's looking like a stupid decision to make Rangnick manager for 6 months when all he has to work with is a mismatched squad that's spent the last 5/6 years playing defensive counterattack football. What can he do with the likes of Maguire exactly. And what can Maguire do - he can't un-fridge himself.

We have to hope Rangnick's consultancy role actually has influence. I'm sceptical though, cos we already have a DoF who doesn't seem to have any power. And then there's Ed whose also taking up a consultancy role. So which of these is going to steer the clubs identity & philosophy?

And while we're at it, Darren Fletcher is the technical director, but he's on the touchline giving instructions. That's not what a technical director does, that's what a coach does. So what's his actual job role?

Honestly, it's fucking chaos behind the scenes
sheesh
Legend

The look Henderson gives him at the end of the clip.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Apparently he was booed throughout England's 3-0 win against Ivory Coast

He's been good for England but it seems as though he's become a symbol of overrated English shite that earn too much money - something that pisses all fans off

His career really has tanked since moving to United, it's getting quite cruel now. We really know how to fuck players up. I can see it happening to Shaw, Rashford and others soon n all
bman2
Legend

I’ve always thought Maguire was an ok player who got famous because he’s English (which happens a lot). But getting booed by the England fans is shitty, and he’s done well for England.

But the pundits talking about how well he played against Ivory Coast… FFS an international friendly against an African team at the business end of the season. That’s how players like English players like Maguire get overhyped in the first place.