Coronavirus

Political Debate
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

it was bad enough when it was just a very shit beer...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

The whole of Italy in quarantine now, wow. 60 million people.

How are you holding up, Fub?
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

i'll be brutally honest here...

my life hasn't really changed from day 1. i certainly lead a different life than most in that i work from home and have done for more than the last 10 years i've lived here. In effect, my life has literally been like being in quarantine anyway so i'm likely to have a warped view of things and less of a feeling of being restricted. I also have a science background by education and once upon a time worked in a microbiology lab in a former life. i wouldn't want to present myself in any way as an expert but i'd like to think i have more than a layman's understanding of things. That may well come back to bite me of course

i popped out to the supermarket early this evening. i do this regularly, most often simply as a way to get out the house. I have to admit that the last few weeks has been quite fascinating in that there's been occasional but little sign that anything was really going on (even with one of the main closed off small towns within 5km). i live quite close to university halls of residence and probably the most notable thing was less students about - university has been closed for weeks now after all - but i hadn't really noticed any real difference in numbers of other people around. maybe a little bit but it's hard to decide if that was because i was looking for a difference and therefore seeing it.

this evening was markedly different. people actually looked scared and, given the sensible advice of staying 1m away from each other, it was almost comical how people would dodge away from you or suddenly realise they were close and jump away. i had to stop myself laughing a couple of times... not because i think they are being idiots as such but mainly because i think they HAVE BEEN idiots. This was how people should have behaved two weeks ago... not now when it's suddenly become "real".

it's quite clear that most people thought "oh, school's closed... let's go on holiday/let's go skiing". The restrictions on movement are so obviously because of this. It's not so much about people coming in, it's about people going OUT. It's all too late by now anyway and i said that in my earlier posts.

All in all, it's so far been a fascinating example of how people will live in denial even when the shit is hitting the fan just across the road.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Agree, Fub. It's got out of hand in Italy and now a nation wide quarantine is probably too late. Mad though, that it's come to this. Do you think people will continue to stick to it? Cos Yesterday the UK gov briefed that phase 2 will kick in 10-14 days. Phase 2 being isolation. So we'll be in the same boat soon. Not entirely sure it works at this stage.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Some clubs will be fucked if games are played behind closed doors

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... oors-games

This is when having clubs run by rich idiots and a lax attitude towards finances comes back to bite you on the arse
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Agree, Fub. It's got out of hand in Italy and now a nation wide quarantine is probably too late. Mad though, that it's come to this. Do you think people will continue to stick to it? Cos Yesterday the UK gov briefed that phase 2 will kick in 10-14 days. Phase 2 being isolation. So we'll be in the same boat soon. Not entirely sure it works at this stage.
Not my areas of expertise obviously, but if you're going to lock down a country, why not do it now (UK) when you might genuinely stop the thing from spreading? We've seen the pattern that when this virus gets a proper foothold so you'd have to assume that we're not far behind Italy.

I saw a news report on Sky News earlier from a Doc in one of the Italian treatment centres who's basically saying it's worse than being reported and likened what's hes seeing to a 'war zone'.

I dread to think how bad this might get both through a combination of the illness and the impacts of the reaction to it.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Not my areas of expertise obviously, but if you're going to lock down a country, why not do it now (UK) when you might genuinely stop the thing from spreading? We've seen the pattern that when this virus gets a proper foothold so you'd have to assume that we're not far behind Italy.

I saw a news report on Sky News earlier from a Doc in one of the Italian treatment centres who's basically saying it's worse than being reported and likened what's hes seeing to a 'war zone'.

I dread to think how bad this might get both through a combination of the illness and the impacts of the reaction to it.
Yeah there's an unwillingness to act from the gov, and a shitload of incompetence. They said don't worry we've spoken to hospitals and we're prepared. The same afternoon docs came out and say it's a lie and there's no plan. The gov said they'd spoke to supermarkets regarding food shortages. The supermarkets came out and said we've had no contact with the gov.

The gov is trying to hide behind PR to make it look like they're doing something. But resentment is growing, not just from terrified people but parliament and tory MPs. Like the UK isn't even screening people coming from northern Italy where the bug is running riot let alone putting em in quarantine. Madness. They're going to let it run riot here too. It's outrageous

Capital won't be happy either. We're looking at a recession as bad as the great crash of 2008.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

4 kids in North Lincolnshire suspected of having corona cos the government let em fly to Italy and back again

Now Nadine Dorries, a fucking health minister, has it 😂

The incompetence is stunning
bman2
Legend

1 year ago

My sense from what the experts are saying is that, unless something major changes the situation, 50-70% of people everywhere are going to get coronavirus in the next few months. So Italy is sort of just further along. Governments just seem to be trying to slow the rate of transmission so that the sheer number of people who need hospitalisation at any given moment is manageable. I think they were a bit unlucky in Italy. Maybe they fucked up in some ways, but they were also one of the first places to have a major problem, and they have one of the largest populations in the world. From what I've read, coronavirus tore through all these small towns and villages in northern Italy where almost everybody is old, so the amount of people who needed hospitalisation was incredibly high. I think they're just trying to slow the spread to the rest of the country now.

I can't really tell how well governments like the UK and Ireland are doing, only time will tell. At least they haven't fucked up like the USA, where is directly contradicting the experts and the shit is obviously already getting out of control. Hopefully they are using the extra couple of weeks they have to learn the right lessons and prepare the system as well as they can. The British chief of medicine seems quite honest and forthcoming about their strategy -- he's said that their calculation is that you can only maintain the most draconian quarantine measures for a certain amount of time, so they are going to gradually ratchet up the quarantine in response to the number of cases.
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

Still seems like a lot of hysterical nonsense to me.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...