Manchester United chat
danniitronix
Legend

6 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
Great to see people organising. What would really hurt em though, is not buying the tickets in the first place.
Agreed. If its done properly though, with near enough everyone taking part - the press coverage would be significant. Stuff like that starts to capture the attention of corporate sponsors. Could be a catalyst for a meaningful campaign centred around hitting them in the pocket, because that's the only way to drive change
Completely agree. Unless fans have the bollocks to empty the stadium week in week out, this will be like every other attempt to outstrip owners as soon as things are not going well.
Pikey McScum
Legend

6 months ago

So I haven't been to a game in ages, obviously I have to travel a bit to get to OT, but I'll tell you something - if it were me going to the Wolves game I would NOT be walking out in protest. And that's simply because of the effort, time and money it takes to get to a game when you don't live in Manchester, or even England. It's fine if you're local and those factors aren't a consideration, but there'll be enough people there who had to make a real effort to get to the game who won't walk out. Can't begrudge them that, but they'll probably be slated for not being "real fans"....
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
bman2
Legend

6 months ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
6 months ago
So I haven't been to a game in ages, obviously I have to travel a bit to get to OT, but I'll tell you something - if it were me going to the Wolves game I would NOT be walking out in protest. And that's simply because of the effort, time and money it takes to get to a game when you don't live in Manchester, or even England. It's fine if you're local and those factors aren't a consideration, but there'll be enough people there who had to make a real effort to get to the game who won't walk out. Can't begrudge them that, but they'll probably be slated for not being "real fans"....
Yeah it's important that the supporters not start turning on one another.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
6 months ago
It's a bit like crossing a picket line though, not quite as bad as in scum of the earth, but it's still poor form. Cos we're nothing if we don't act as one. Individualism will get us nowhere. If they see some fans willing to stay / pay, they'll not bad an eyelid.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
6 months ago
It's a bit like crossing a picket line though, not quite as bad as in scum of the earth, but it's still poor form. Cos we're nothing if we don't act as one. Individualism will get us nowhere. If they see some fans willing to stay / pay, they'll not bad an eyelid.
That's exactly how I see it too. The greater good. Unless sacrifices are made and people are united on this, nothing will change.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
Pikey McScum wrote:
6 months ago
That's exactly how I see it too. The greater good. Unless sacrifices are made and people are united on this, nothing will change.
Innit. I'd walk out too tbf no matter how far I'd travelled because taking part in a protest is as important if not more than watching the game. You're acting backing up your words, doing something useful. And it's a chance to be a part of the third anti Glazer movement, so you can hold your head high.

Also, if you walk out you're not missing much are you? Phil fucking Jones and Static playing it backwards?
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Newcastle's saudi takeover 'sportswashing, plain and simple', says Amnesty

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... _clipboard

Mohammed bin Salman, aka the bloke that owns Aramco, the richest company in the world, and the bloke who butchered Khashoggi and hacked Bezos, is funding the takeover.

So if the Glazers were planning on selling to him, they might have missed their chance.
jason_uk
First Teamer

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
Newcastle's saudi takeover 'sportswashing, plain and simple', says Amnesty

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... _clipboard

Mohammed bin Salman, aka the bloke that owns Aramco, the richest company in the world, and the bloke who butchered Khashoggi and hacked Bezos, is funding the takeover.

So if the Glazers were planning on selling to him, they might have missed their chance.
Well, as bad as the Glazers are as owners, I don't think they have blood on their hands, so missing out on the Saudis isn't a massive loss from a moral view.
It does mean we will have 1 more team being bankrolled by blank cheques, so in the longer run will likely see Utd drop further behind the very top clubs, and more difficulty in signing new players.
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley in advanced talks to sell club for £310m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... b-for-350m

Staveley, who divides her time between Dubai and London, has been backed by the UK-based Reuben Brothers, run by Simon and David Reuben, whose property empire includes extensive interests in Newcastle such as the city’s racecourse, and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund. The latter is one of the world’s wealthiest sovereign wealth funds and the original plan involved PIF assuming an 80% stake in the club, Reuben Brothers 10% and PCP Capital the remainder.

Puzzlingly, and perhaps significantly, the Saudi investment is not mentioned in the Companies House documents made public on Tuesday, although Reuben Brothers’ involvement is detailed. However it is understood PIF, whose role is likely to be the subject of not merely Premier League but government interest amid sports–washing and human rights concerns, remains part of the consortium.

The Saudi's could bankrolling the purchase of Newcastle, which to my knowledge means they couldn't buy United cos you can only own one club
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

It's not like we've not spent bucketloads in the last decade. We've done badly inspite of these investments.
Post Fergie I think only City have spent more than us. Slightly more.