So how do we fix it?

Manchester United chat
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Kunal, every manager has a philosophy. A philosophy is just a way of playing, and you need a way of playing if you're picking a team

I know fans don't like to hear it but United has a philosophy as well, and it's very very strong, tied in with the brand, so the new manager has to conform to that a bit, or a lot.

"With the ball and run towards the goal" is massively simplistic

Pochettino won't give you that either. Remember he has been heavily criticised up until recently for playing boring solid football. He almost got the boot last season when it was grim. It's only in the last couple of months that Spurs have started looking better. But the main plaudits he is getting is for making Spurs more solid, were before they crumbled like wimps. So it's built on a solid foundation - too boring for United possibly. I think if you don't like Gaal you won't like Pochettino.

Controversial but what about sparky Sid
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Nah Redz, he didn't pull up trees at City when they were on the way up
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Nah Redz, he didn't pull up trees at City when they were on the way up

He kinda did though when you look at the players he had tbf, it wasn't mega rich city, in fact they'd have been better keeping him on for a year with the mega bucks and he might still be there today.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Felwin
First Teamer

3 years ago

kunal4622 wrote:We need a modern young manager and proven premiership players with legs & hunger rather than Bale, Ronaldo etc. hollywood signing. Hungry players, hungry manager will see at least start fighting for the ball & will earn the club some respect. No bullshit tactics or philosophy but a clear message, win the ball & run towards the goal.. I would rather go with manager like Pochettino & that Bournemouth manager than Ancelotti. United also need to look at their scouting network as how they have missed so many young english players that Spurs, Southampton and Everton are signing.
Can see us getting caught in a ping pong situation though going back and forth between two ways of looking at the game...

Say we get this "modern young manager" with his simple tactics and hungry players. It'll go tits at some point and then everyone will be saying we need a clever, experienced cunt like Ancelotti or LvG.
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:
Sid wrote:Nah Redz, he didn't pull up trees at City when they were on the way up

He kinda did though when you look at the players he had tbf, it wasn't mega rich city, in fact they'd have been better keeping him on for a year with the mega bucks and he might still be there today.

That's how i remember it, he'd had a few bad results but he'd rallied them around. He wasn't glamorous enough for them.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Kunal, every manager has a philosophy. A philosophy is just a way of playing, and you need a way of playing if you're picking a team

I know fans don't like to hear it but United has a philosophy as well, and it's very very strong, tied in with the brand, so the new manager has to conform to that a bit, or a lot.

Pochettino won't give you that either. Remember he has been heavily criticised up until recently for playing boring solid football. He almost got the boot last season when it was grim. It's only in the last couple of months that Spurs have started looking better. But the main plaudits he is getting is for making Spurs more resiliant, were before they crumbled like wimps. So it's built on a solid foundation. And we don't need that, we're already solid. We need creativity. So I think if you don't like Gaal then you won't like Pochettino.
Are we though Sid? I'm really not so sure about that. DeGea has dug us out plenty this season.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Laz, the nature of football is that even if you're totally dominant the other team will get chances. Also this style of play means you look vulnerable at times though because the game is so restricted and controlled, occasionally it breaks out and it becomes free and more chaotic, and that's when you need a top keeper to do his thing.

But generally we are utterly solid for long periods of the game. Recycling the ball around the half way line were we begin lumbering forward again.

I like Pochettino a lot. I wouldn't mind him here tbh. I just don't think he's the "let em off the leash" manager a lot of fans want.

Also his system is very reliant on a top centreforward that scores. Without Kane for long periods they'd struggle, like we have done.
kunal4622
First Teamer

3 years ago

Felwin wrote:
kunal4622 wrote:We need a modern young manager and proven premiership players with legs & hunger rather than Bale, Ronaldo etc. hollywood signing. Hungry players, hungry manager will see at least start fighting for the ball & will earn the club some respect. No bullshit tactics or philosophy but a clear message, win the ball & run towards the goal.. I would rather go with manager like Pochettino & that Bournemouth manager than Ancelotti. United also need to look at their scouting network as how they have missed so many young english players that Spurs, Southampton and Everton are signing.
Can see us getting caught in a ping pong situation though going back and forth between two ways of looking at the game...

Say we get this "modern young manager" with his simple tactics and hungry players. It'll go tits at some point and then everyone will be saying we need a clever, experienced cunt like Ancelotti or LvG.
There is always a risk with new manager but look what happened / is going to happen with proven LVG.

There seems to be a very lazy approach taken by United CEO and board. They want quick fix but one thing I am personally realizing is that United needs rebuilding for that they need some mid table manager than a manager who will spend another 250 Mil. In short term it might work but in long term it will not. United CEO is winning points with owners by bringing new sponsorship deals and big name players who can sell shirts but I am convinced success on pitch will not come that way.

United have plenty of money for re building now but they need to give it to the manager who can first take most out of existing players and then spend. I am afraid all big name big ego managers are going to come to United to fulfill their fantasies and leave blaming everyone but themselves.
kunal4622
First Teamer

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Laz, the nature of football is that even if you're totally dominant the other team will get chances. Also this style of play means you look vulnerable at times though because the game is so restricted and controlled, occasionally it breaks out and it becomes free and more chaotic, and that's when you need a top keeper to do his thing.

But generally we are utterly solid for long periods of the game. Recycling the ball around the half way line were we begin lumbering forward again.

I like Pochettino a lot. I wouldn't mind him here tbh. I just don't think he's the "let em off the leash" manager a lot of fans want.

Also his system is very reliant on a top centreforward that scores. Without Kane for long periods they'd struggle, like we have done.
I don't think this season it's true. How many points Kane has won for spurs this season? Hardly. Look at Dier, Alli, that Korean player everyone of them from mid field to defense have chipped in for goals.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:

Pochettino won't give you that either. Remember he has been heavily criticised up until recently for playing boring solid football. He almost got the boot last season when it was grim. It's only in the last couple of months that Spurs have started looking better. But the main plaudits he is getting is for making Spurs more resiliant, were before they crumbled like wimps. So it's built on a solid foundation. And we don't need that, we're already solid. We need creativity. So I think if you don't like Gaal then you won't like Pochettino.

"LISTEN TO FUCKIN SID!!!" :-?

"If you don't like Van Moyes you wont like Pochettino"

"If you don't like Van Moyes you wont like Ancelotti!

"If you don't like Van Moyes you wont like Mourinho"

"If you don't like Van Moyes you wont like Guardiola"

Sid. I'm not playing golf in the pissing down rain and freezing cuntin cold for 4 hours to come back and listen to that shit.

So what the fuck do we do? Stick with this shovel faced fuckin dinosaur who no cunt else wants apart from you.

Where's this "solid foundation" you talk about. Cant fuckin wait to here this!! :-?
Max, calm down

There's only one top manager that can apparently fit within the United philosophy, and that's Ancelotti. Although there huge queston marks, like how his football at Milan wasn't very attacking, and the fact he's only won 3 league titles in 15 years.

But the rest all do things similar to Gaal - things we don't like. Like Mourinho and Guardiola are totally off limits, they're too negative and too possession based. So we're limiting ourselves to one manager. That's where we're at right now.