vs Palace

Forum for match day threads
Anantax
Legend

6 years ago

madredmonkey wrote:missed the match was on the M5 coming home,
Nice result, but how did he match go,
whats all this controversy about the penalty?
We dominated the macth, but final pass/ creativity lacking

Got bit lucky with penalty and red card - a bit soft imho

After januzaj and fella came in we actually looked much better and scored a cracking rooney free kick
Anantax
Legend

6 years ago

Moyes on Januzaj

"I considered playing him from the start," said Moyes. "His performance when he came on showed it would have been merited.
madredmonkey
Legend

6 years ago

Anantax wrote:
madredmonkey wrote:missed the match was on the M5 coming home,
Nice result, but how did he match go,
whats all this controversy about the penalty?
We dominated the macth, but final pass/ creativity lacking

Got bit lucky with penalty and red card - a bit soft imho

After januzaj and fella came in we actually looked much better and scored a cracking rooney free kick
thanks Anantax
LEFT THE SITE SADLY GOT BORED OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS, NOT WHAT IT USTED TO BE, GOODBYE TO THE FELLOW MEMBERS.
JUST NEED SOMETHING NEW.
Lazarus
Legend

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Really??? Zaha is a 20 year old exciting top shelf prospect who needs games and experience now. Nani has had years of this and he is endlessly disappointing still, should we flog this dead horse for another 2 years?
Yes, really. Nani did give us one very good season, even though it was made of two halves from consecutive seasons. Lord knows I wanted him gone, but we re-signed him, five years on more money. You don't do that for someone you don't intend to play. Unfortunately, there is every chance, due mostly to Young being utter shite, that Nani will then be asked to play on the left. I'm not saying that Januzaj deserve the chance more than Zaha, but he is left footed, can play on the left, and is already better than Young. Zaha does need games and experience, but that's what cup ties are for.

It's not that i really disagree with anything your saying, they're all fair points. I'm just sick of Nani and would rather blood Zaha and give him his chance.

Nani has looked like he could be great in flashes but mostly he's bollocks.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

6 years ago

Wasn't able to watch this one, glad to hear Jacuzzi's the business though. Was he on the left or the right? Nani will be sold in the summer, or even at Christmas. Only given a new deal as a last minute holding pattern.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

Anantax wrote:Is it cnfmd the contract for more money (higher salary?)

i used to ink that the contract is good piece of business more than anything : Nani gets a chance to prove himself, but United has a long window in which to sell him without his value decreasing
I have not seen the details of Nani's new contract published, but I doubt he turned down offers to move in order to stay and sign for less money. Since Nani believes he is worth more, I can't see him signing a five year deal for the same money, either. Even if it was a token amount which allowed him to save face, I can only see Nani signing a contract of that length for more money. I could be wrong, but it's beside the point. Nani was not re-signed in order to sit on the sub's bench. The question is, will he play on the left and keep Januzaj out of the side, or will he play on the right?

As for being a smart move by United, I'm not sure that there's much to that. A five year deal means that the decision to keep or sell the player should be made by the end of the third year. Do we really need three more years to determine if Nani is going to make it or not? What kind of price would he fetch in three years? He'd be older and still not have been good enough for United. The clubs that now see him as having potential, would surely begin to lose interest by then.

To me, it looks a lot like the same kind of brilliant business that had us exercising the option on Berbatov's contract (keeping him, rather than letting him move for £25M), not playing him, and then selling him for £8M.
bman2
Legend

6 years ago

But he would have been able to leave on a free next summer no? As for wages, a wage bump soothes his ego and increases the chance that he might actually play well. But even if you flog him next summer, you're going to make more on the sale than you'll spend on the extra wages. I doubt the clubs interested in him, like Roma supposedly, were offering him huge wages -- Roma in general pays much less than us, and you didn't get the sense that Nani was pushing hard for the move.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

bman2 wrote:But he would have been able to leave on a free next summer no? As for wages, a wage bump soothes his ego and increases the chance that he might actually play well. But even if you flog him next summer, you're going to make more on the sale than you'll spend on the extra wages...
I understand that United had to either sell or re-sign Nani this summer, but surely a five year contract is overkill if the plan is to sell him next summer. I don't see any cleverness in this signing. United remain where they have been for a couple of years now: stuck with a player who's getting older and still hasn't made the breakthrough to greatness.

If the plan is to flog him, his value needs to rise, and that can only be done by playing him and hoping he does well. We already know that that isn't going to happen with him playing on the left, but no matter where he plays, he is blocking a youngster from getting the chance to show what he can do. Also, a five year contract removes any incentive for Nani to accept a transfer to a 'smaller' club or one that doesn't pay what he believes he is worth. All the risk is on United's side as far as I can see, which doesn't strike me as a good bit of business.
Sid
Legend

6 years ago

People love talking about Nani more than the actual football

Give it up, he's just signed a 5 year deal, he's staying
Lazarus
Legend

6 years ago

We boring you?
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X