Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
Dosdamt
First Teamer

Parker is looking for football in a World Cup year, like any two bit player who's had a sniff of Internationals or maybe been to a tournament.

Hence, if we did sign Parker, it would infer he'd be starting. Not. Good.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

bman2 wrote:Maybe what's happening is that Woodward has proven to be so incompetent that Moyes is forced to push for players from his former club, where he knows the situation and can ensure the deal gets done. But in terms of the rumoured bids and timing, the strategy seems sound to me. The club sounded out Everton with a fairly low bid for Baines earlier in the summer and Everton said no. So United waited to see what happened before the expiration of Fellaini's buy-out clause -- if another club had come in for him then maybe we would have outbid them. But the buy-out clause came and went, which is the market saying nobody wants to buy Fellaini for that amount (24M?), so it's only logical to bid less than the buyout clause now. It's now basically a question of how much do Everton need the money? They might have been counting on selling one or both of them this summer, which Moyes would know of course. Which would explain why their press release about this bid is so angry sounding -- there's a good chance they'll end up taking less than they were hoping to get for the players.
FFS... that's some desperate reasoning...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
marlon
Legend

He's had no time to do any proper scouting. All he can do is bid for well known players or bid for the players he knows (from Everton). If we're not willing to overpay for world-class players, we're going to overpay for Everton players.
bman2
Legend

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
bman2 wrote:Maybe what's happening is that Woodward has proven to be so incompetent that Moyes is forced to push for players from his former club, where he knows the situation and can ensure the deal gets done. But in terms of the rumoured bids and timing, the strategy seems sound to me. The club sounded out Everton with a fairly low bid for Baines earlier in the summer and Everton said no. So United waited to see what happened before the expiration of Fellaini's buy-out clause -- if another club had come in for him then maybe we would have outbid them. But the buy-out clause came and went, which is the market saying nobody wants to buy Fellaini for that amount (24M?), so it's only logical to bid less than the buyout clause now. It's now basically a question of how much do Everton need the money? They might have been counting on selling one or both of them this summer, which Moyes would know of course. Which would explain why their press release about this bid is so angry sounding -- there's a good chance they'll end up taking less than they were hoping to get for the players.
FFS... that's some desperate reasoning...
I don't see why. Why would the club have bid before Fellaini's get-out clause deadline passed if nobody else was bidding on him? If there's a sticker price on something and you're interested but nobody's buying, then wait for the price to come down. Whether or not Fellaini was plan A, B, or C, it doesn't change that calculus.
bman2
Legend

marlon wrote:He's had no time to do any proper scouting. All he can do is bid for well known players or bid for the players he knows (from Everton). If we're not willing to overpay for world-class players, we're going to overpay for Everton players.
There might be something to the rumours that Moyes bottled it on Thiago -- if so, someone should have reminded him that Fergie spent as much or more on the likes of Young and Anderson. On the other hand, it might also have come down to a "pay off the agent" situation the same way it did with Hazard, whose agent reputedly got 4 or 5 million from Chelsea. Apparently there's been substantial complaining in the German press that Guardiola's purchase of Thiago stinks of corruption because his brother got a big pay out.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Well I suppose that makes sense... if you're a banker, whose only concern is being a tight fisted cunt!... but a football man would say, "quit fuckin about and get me a fuckin midfielder".

Come on Bernie... grab a mitt and get in the game Mate... this is a farce, quit trying to find ways to make it, make sense!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Bill2
First Teamer

It is a farce. No question. We paid 30 mill for Rooney and Ferdinand when they were the best talent on offer. That was almost ten years ago. Why we think 35 mill plus isn't the going rate now is nonsense. 40 mill for Fabregas or 35 for Modric would have seen the job done.
marlon
Legend

We haven't spent that kind of money outside the league since Veron. There was De Gea and Anderson/Nani more recently (Hargreaves was English), but we rarely spend a lot outside the PL. Guess that was the attraction of Fabregas.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

we wont get baines, we'll get fellaini for more than his release clause, then we'll watch as the second coming of oshea in midfield destroys every passing move we try and start by elbowing someone in the face (atleast oshea only ended moves by hoofing it up the line to no one in particular)
lkhm

hoofing
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

Has anyone ever heard of the "market?" It's this little thing in the real world that determines the true value of something irrespective of emotion.I realize this the unrealistic transfer wankfest but I read words on this forum like "embarrassing" bids and Utd must be a "player"in the market, and Moyes "bottled" it. Bman2 is absolutely right. No one paid Fellaini's 23.5 million release clause because he's not worth that. So offer less and see. Daniel Levy wins every transfer window doing that and last time I checked, his roster man for man matches up with Utd. We'll negotiate with another party until we arrive at a fair figure. Right, we stumped up near 30 million each for Rio and Roon 10 years ago. They were both at the height of their value at the point we bought them. Can you say the same for Fabergas or Modric now? Two bench players? Hell, let's lowball Bayern and Real for any midfielder surplus to requirements. They'd all be an upgrade. That's what Levy would do. I'll get over my "embarrassment" over our negotiating tactics while I'm celebrating title #21.