Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

We could do with a lefty in attack and in defense.
fat maradona
Legend

dozer wrote: 3 years ago Barcelona's three most expensive signings are Griezmann, coutinho and Dembele. None of them are working out. Coutinho is doing well but for Bayern.

Throwing silly money at a player is a bad idea. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be complaining if we were bidding huge for Mbappe for example. He's clearly top quality. Players like Sancho are second tier compared to him and isn't worth this kind of money. It's silly money for Sancho. It's too much of a risk. And isn't it risky? Dortmund players usually don't do well outside. If he flops we'll go backwards. This galactico strategy isn't working for us either. We lured Sánchez wjth crazy fees. Pogba is at best average to good. Di Maria, Falcao, Mkhi etc were huge names but crap for us.

We must buy players in the 40-60m range. That seems to be the sweet spot. City and pool do that and it works for them. I'm happy to spend 100 - 150m for the next Ronaldo, Messi level talent but Sancho isn't considered that talented even by his fans.
Agreed, the Sancho money can be spent on 2.5 decent players that would really improve the squad more than Sancho alone can.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

We still need Sancho though cos we need more options in attack and he's the best young talent in europe. There's virtually nothing on the bench so when the 11 doesn't work, and when teams figure us out next season, we need to be able to mix it up.
swampash
Legend

We ain't gonna be 'mixing it up' as long as the hobbit is in charge Sid. He doesn't know what mixing it up means.
Imagine what is going to happen next season when Fernandes is expected to play a whole PL, CL and FA cup season. He'll get injured or exhausted - and then what? Sancho as the answer to a maiden's prayer? Me thinks not...
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago We still need Sancho though cos we need more options in attack and he's the best young talent in europe. There's virtually nothing on the bench so when the 11 doesn't work, and when teams figure us out next season, we need to be able to mix it up.

Exactly. We shouldn't be chasing big money signings as a strategy, we need to be going after the right players. And if the right player happens to involved a big fee, so be it.

We need 5-6 players before we can compete at the top. That's probably 250-300m of spend, even if we could land some prudent buys.

Sancho, Van de Beek for 40m, a centre back and a young left back should be our summer shopping list.
fat maradona
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 years ago We ain't gonna be 'mixing it up' as long as the hobbit is in charge Sid. He doesn't know what mixing it up means.
Imagine what is going to happen next season when Fernandes is expected to play a whole PL, CL and FA cup season. He'll get injured or exhausted - and then what? Sancho as the answer to a maiden's prayer? Me thinks not...
And that's the next challenge. Ole has done well to improve morale but apart from the 'go enjoy yourselves lads' tactics, he ain't got much else to offer. I was gobsmacked that he waited until the 87th minute to make subs when it was obvious to see that the lads on the pitch were knackered. And he didn't have the tactical nous to stop the Seville full backs. Picking Fred in midfield means that Pogba feels the need to stay deep, which is a waste of his talents. All in all, Ole has shown just how limited he is and I hope the Board see that.

Back to the 'to Sancho or not to Sancho', I'd prefer we added Grealish, VdB, a left winger and a LB/RB than spend £100m+ on Sancho. We need that depth way more than we need Sancho just now.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Tactically I thought we were fine. We controlled the game and created chances. Poor finishing/good keeping, and a couple of comical defensive lapses are what did for us.

He could have made changes earlier and some of the players looked fucked, but I have sympathy. What the fuck's he supposed to do with that bench? As much as anything, it underlines the message to the board that we need much more quality and depth to this squad.

Ole probably ain't the long term answer, but he still needs to be backed with quality players, players who can be part of a modern, technical, high energy side. So even if Ole doesn't last, the squad continues to improve.

This summer's recruitment is essential. 3 quality players needed, minimum. Chelsea aren't fucking about and neither will City.
fat maradona
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago
This summer's recruitment is essential. 3 quality players needed, minimum. Chelsea aren't fucking about and neither will City.
And that's the frustrating thing. We seem to be devoting all of our resources to trying to sign Sancho when there are other positions to fill. Thomas Partey has a £45m release clause. Donny VdB can be had for less than £40m. Why aren't we looking at these players?

Read we were on the verge of signing Filip Stevanovic, a 17 year old LW from Partizan Belgrade. Looks half decent - - but another one for the future.
dozer
Legend

Jesus. Give me Sancho over Greazylish any day.
dozer
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 years ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago
And that's the frustrating thing. We seem to be devoting all of our resources to trying to sign Sancho when there are other positions to fill. Thomas Partey has a £45m release clause. Donny VdB can be had for less than £40m. Why aren't we looking at these players?

Read we were on the verge of signing Filip Stevanovic, a 17 year old LW from Partizan Belgrade. Looks half decent - - but another one for the future.
He looks fantastic. If we're signing him we better play him next season.