Not just a shit beer: Corona and football

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

Hey dozer - Fellaini has apparently recovered from corona...
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

swampash wrote: 4 years ago So what happened to that PL players NHS charity idea then?
Did I miss it or was it just another load of PR bollox?
It was launched. Says they aim to raise over 4m, which is piss poor when you think how much a squad like United or City earn.

In other news Arsenal's players have agreed a 12.5% pay cut, which is pretty small tbf, and they've negotiated a CL bonus to counteract it.

I expected a bigger wage cut as it looks like the season will be voided, and research suggests Prem clubs are set to lose over a billion quid. The TV rebate package alone is expected to be over 700m.

Clubs need to be careful or else they'll fuck themselves
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 4 years ago
swampash wrote: 4 years ago So what happened to that PL players NHS charity idea then?
Did I miss it or was it just another load of PR bollox?
It was launched. Says they aim to raise over 4m, which is piss poor when you think how much a squad like United or City earn.

In other news Arsenal's players have agreed a 12.5% pay cut, which is pretty small tbf, and they've negotiated a CL bonus to counteract it.

I expected a bigger wage cut as it looks like the season will be voided, and research suggests Prem clubs are set to lose over a billion quid. The TV rebate package alone is expected to be over 700m.

Clubs need to be careful or else they'll fuck themselves
...doubly so when a 99 year old man can walk round his garden 100 times and raise 18m in donations.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

Yup...unbelievable really. Could put you right off football.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Chelsea negotiating a 10% pay cut. It's nowt. Barca players are taking a 70% cut. Surely these figures won't counteract the loss of TV rights. It's as if they think the season is gonna finish.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Chelsea negotiating a 10% pay cut. It's nowt. Barca players are taking a 70% cut. Surely these figures won't counteract the loss of TV rights. It's as if they think the season is gonna finish.
The coordination, planning and communication from the football authorities, both in this country and across Europe has been shocking. Theres a level of delusion that's clear - they're deferring to 'hope'. I work in the gas industry and weve have the same briefing from the government for the last month; assume lockdown until end of may, then at least 3-6 of significant social distancing measures. But the PL have a plan that's based on lockdown ending in a couple of weeks. They're desperate, on the back foot and completely disjointed. No is leading, no ones looking to make a difficult decision. Poor stuff.
swampash
Legend

They'll probably go for ghost games to keep the broadcast revenues and hope the players stay clear of the virus.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 years ago They'll probably go for ghost games to keep the broadcast revenues and hope the players stay clear of the virus.
If football is anything like boxing you need medical staff (docs and ambulances) at a fight in case someone gets injured, or else you can't insure the event. I imagine will be similar for football (eg in a case a player gets injured) cos you always see medical staff next to the pitch. But docs should in hospitals treating patients. And there aren't many going spare tbf. And then if there is a serious injury the player is gonna take up a bed, possibly even in ICU. So it ain't great
bman2
Legend

I’ve read that there are still a couple of hundred people at a minimum involved in a ‘ghost game’. The chances of doing that covid-free is zero. There’s no way they could pull it off if they actually did test everybody.

Article in the Guardian about how United’s transfer kitty will be cut back and we’re not in for expensive players like Kane. Reads like a Woodward briefing.
fat maradona
Legend

bman2 wrote: 3 years ago I’ve read that there are still a couple of hundred people at a minimum involved in a ‘ghost game’. The chances of doing that covid-free is zero. There’s no way they could pull it off if they actually did test everybody.

Article in the Guardian about how United’s transfer kitty will be cut back and we’re not in for expensive players like Kane. Reads like a Woodward briefing.
Makes sense though, if the club aren't furloughing non-playing staff and will continue to pay their salaries, that money has to come from elsewhere. Anyway.......Kane would be great but not at the silly money Levy will want and not when he is giving Sicknote a run for his money.