vs Wolves

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

Wolves have a great midfield so they'll dominate possession, so we'll have to play on the counter. But if we do more of that one & two touch football we'll tear em apart. I hope Ole goes with the same 11 and keeps Jones, Smalling, Matic and Young away from the 11.
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

Sid wrote:
3 months ago
Wolves have a great midfield so they'll dominate possession, so we'll have to play on the counter. But if we do more of that one & two touch football we'll tear em apart. I hope Ole goes with the same 11 and keeps Jones, Smalling, Matic and Young away from the 11.
I think it will be the other way round -- they'll sit and play on the counter. With Neves they can ping it long. Under Ole we've done better against teams that try to control possession, and struggled when we need to dictate the game more.
Davey-boy
Legend

3 months ago

Worried about this game, they beat us 3 times last season didn't they?
At least we might be a bit harder to score against. Back five surely won't change and hopefully they've spent all week getting a decent understanding of each other. I have high hopes for Maguire and Lindelof forming a good partnership moving forward.
FuB
Legend

3 months ago

Davey-boy wrote:
3 months ago
Worried about this game, they beat us 3 times last season didn't they?
At least we might be a bit harder to score against. Back five surely won't change and hopefully they've spent all week getting a decent understanding of each other. I have high hopes for Maguire and Lindelof forming a good partnership moving forward.
no we drew 1-1 at home (under Jose) and lost away 1-2 in both the premier league and FA cup.

so nuno had ole's number last season at their place.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

3 months ago

Wolves will be a decent test, because of the strength of their midfield they can play multiple style very well and are able to take advantage of even small errors. We will need to keep their midfielders occupied, they can have the ball (especially in their own half) but I don’t want them having time and space pasted the halfway line. We will also need to force their midfielders to help out on defense.

DeGea
AWB Maguire Lindelöf Shaw
McTominay
Pereira Pogba
Lindgard Martial Rashford

No need to mess around with the lineup and keep Jones, Smalling and Young at Carrington.
FuB
Legend

3 months ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
3 months ago
Wolves will be a decent test, because of the strength of their midfield they can play multiple style very well and are able to take advantage of even small errors. We will need to keep their midfielders occupied, they can have the ball (especially in their own half) but I don’t want them having time and space pasted the halfway line. We will also need to force their midfielders to help out on defense.

DeGea
McTominay
Pereira Pogba

No need to mess around with the lineup and keep Jones, Smalling and Young at Carrington.
I totally agree. There really is no need to keep Jones, Smalling and Young at Carrington. There must be somewhere else we can keep them instead.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

FuB wrote:
3 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
3 months ago

DeGea
McTominay
Pereira Pogba

I totally agree. There really is no need to keep Jones, Smalling and Young at Carrington. There must be somewhere else we can keep them instead.
At another club, preferably

Ole hasn't had enough credit for not shitting his pants vs Chelsea. He could have easily gone with the "experience" against a top 4 team and played Smalling, Young, the big old dosser Matic - especially when Chelsea were dominating midfield. Jose did. Chelsea battered us 4-0 in his first game against em. But then he even shit himself against division 1 Derby at home.

But Ole did the Fergie thing of riding his luck with a young attacking team, and it paid off.

So on that basis I'm hoping the likes of Jones are kept firmly on the fucking bench until they're needed for rotation or injuries. So far the signs are good, Ole seems committed to his vision.
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

Sid wrote:
3 months ago
Ole hasn't had enough credit for not shitting his pants vs Chelsea. He could have easily gone with the "experience" against a top 4 team and played Smalling, Young, the big old dosser Matic - especially when Chelsea were dominating midfield.
I agree with that, I was very surprised not to see Matic start. But it also raises the point -- if Ole himself doesn't rate the likes of Matic, then why the fuck did we not sign another midfielder? I think Matic was the only central midfielder on the bench wasn't he? The fact that we only renewed Pereira's contract at the last minute quite late in the summer suggests Ole wasn't convinced he was an important player.
Lazarus
Legend

3 months ago

Sid wrote:
3 months ago
It would be nice to see a settled 11 and 5 or 6 bench players that swap in and out. But a settled, hard to shift 11 is what we need. It'll take 5 or 6 games to get a real feel for what Ole is doing. Winning will help greatly.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

3 months ago

The biggest problem from the transfer window is that nothing, absolutely nothing, was done to address the massive hole we call our midfield. The improvement shown by Lindelöf last season, the arrival of Wan-Bissaka and Maguire and a return to form for DeGea and Shaw gives us a very solid foundation for a really good defense. However, we are very light on quality replacement and monitoring of their minutes will be needed as the season progresses. Up front, letting Lukaku go was a good move because I do not think he was capable of playing the style of football the Ole want the team playing. Not replacing Lukaku will be good for the team; it will put a lot of pressure on Martial, Rashford and to a lesser degree Greenwood but it should determine if the faith Ole has shown in them is warranted or if this is another area where we will need to bring in talent over the next few windows.

Our midfield, which had problems to begin with, got no help whatsoever during the summer. The hope appears to be that;
  • Pogba will stays and not be negatively affected by not getting a move to Real Madrid,
  • Pereira and Fred find consistently good form that eluded them last season,
  • McTominay can step up and fill part of the whole in midfield,
  • Mata and Matic can be used in certain situations to give Pogba and McTominay a break.
That's a lot of questions and unfortunately a few injuries and we will be forced to start Matic, Mata, Smalling, Jones, Young et al.