Legend

4 months ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Woodward and the Mad Men have sold United based on its history and potential of returning to glory. Companies are not going to continue to fork over millions to be associated with a club fighting to get into the Europa Cup. They will want their "Brand" associated with a winner because that's what sells.
7 years of shite suggests otherwise. Like Woodward said "playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business." Relying on commercial markets to save us isn't a good idea.
Corporations are not fans; so do the shell out millions to a title winner or to an also ran?
I'm not saying the theory is wrong, just that it hasn't been proven yet. After 7 years of shite the United brand is still super strong. Turnover is still higher than all but the 2 spanish clubs. So presumably those corporations are seeing a return on their investment.

Question is will it last last?
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Woodward and the Mad Men have sold United based on its history and potential of returning to glory. Companies are not going to continue to fork over millions to be associated with a club fighting to get into the Europa Cup. They will want their "Brand" associated with a winner because that's what sells.
7 years of shite suggests otherwise. Like Woodward said "playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business." Relying on commercial markets to save us isn't a good idea.
Corporations are not fans; so do the shell out millions to a title winner or to an also ran?
I'm not saying the theory is wrong, just that it hasn't been proven yet. After 7 years of shite the United brand is still super strong. Turnover is still higher than all but the 2 spanish clubs. So presumably those corporations are seeing a return on their investment.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Chevy deal expires.
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
4 months ago

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Chevy deal expires.
Yeah that's the one big one int it. If we're still shit by then, can Woodward still attract the big money.
bman2
Legend

4 months ago

Well, if you look, for example, at the number of comments on Guardian football stories, United stories generally still get by far the most comments. And by far the most stories. So I don't think commercial appeal is going to collapse. Your logo on a united shirt is still going to be seen more than it would be on almost any other shirt. But not winning and not having the positive associations of winning must hurt a little bit and lower the value of the brand.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 months ago

Nothing scientific here, just an observation. In the USA the premier league is broadcast by NBC. The majority of games are broadcast on their sports network, NBCSN and the streaming service NBC Gold, both of these services are additional cost to your regular "cable" service. The big game of the week is usually carries on the main NBC station which is a free "over the air" network. This season the main NBC station was much more likely to carry the City or Liverpool game than United.

Just an observation, who know if it signifies anything.
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

The Glazers rejected a valuation by the saudis of 3.8bn for the club, so clearly 7 years of shitness hasn't devalued it

I think 3.8bn makes it the most expensive sports entity in the world, and it still wasn't enough
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 months ago

If I find a spare 3.8B in the couch I'll put in an offer. :|
fat maradona
First Teamer

4 months ago

A decent listen re our possible transfer strategy and DoF etc https://www.spreaker.com/user/skysports ... d-overhaul
sheesh
Legend

4 months ago

For anyone hoping for a clearout, look away now:

http://www.sportbible.com/football/reac ... n-20190521
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

4 months ago

He can have the arm band, Valencia had it for most of this season so draw into that what you want. What I object to is Young getting a starting role game after game - t has the effect of us playing against 12 men.