7 months ago

FuB wrote:
7 months ago
<chopped some bits for brevity>
Sid wrote:
7 months ago
FuB wrote:
7 months ago

Again, I think you are missing the point of the legislation. It doesn't seem to me that it is pushing for privatisation INSTEAD OF a public-owned service. Just making sure that there are opportunities to compete with one. The privatisation of the railways in the UK is the former whereas the model in Italy is not. They just let a private company run a competing, similar service on the same routes. It's the consumer's choice whether they want to support that and, given both services seem to be running ok and generally on time, it would suggest that there is a demand for both. As I say, i almost always use the state-owned services and I want them to persist. They don't appear to be having a problem doing so and, if someone wants to pay more for a premium, private service that doesn't impede or damage the public one (and that's a fucking key point!), then I don't have an issue with it.

If all this makes me a tory or a liberal and therefore someone who you no longer have any respect for then I'll just have to suck that up. Sorry.
Then why are EU countries privatising the fuck out of everything? Why is Macron selling off france to the highest bidders and his mates like Thatcher did? Once you change that bit of legislation that lets private companies in, they take the lot - the water, communications, healthcare, transport. No one but the most naive are daft enough to think the neolibs are not going to sell off the NHS in its entirity, and replace it with private healthcare like in america. The only committment they've ever given is that treatment will be "free at the point of service"... yeah, because your bill is in the post.

You're just on dodgy ground if you reject privatisation / profiteering off public services in the UK but not in the EU

The question isn't whether that is right or wrong - it's wrong. It's more how can it be changed within the EU when you have so many neolib capitalist states like germany and france all pushing in the same direction. Not only would it challenge the founding principles of the EU but like Varoufakis said when he tried to negotiate with them in Syriza, "the Eu don't negotiate". In meetings with finance ministers he said they absolutely will not talk about finance. It's their way of the highway, which is why he quit. But then he's also an EU reformist. I've just not heard his arguments for reforming it.
Yeah, ok. I do broadly agree with you on most of that. There's always the possibility that legislation isn't created with the intention of doing what people manage to do with it. You levelled "naivety" on me earlier and i'll also have to take that on the chin because I suffer from this general wish to not see the worst in everyone. I appreciate that it's naïve but all this cynicism is just making me feel tired and depressed.

Anyway, I think my point is that you can't necessarily blame the legislation nor, in the odd case, those who make it for the evils it, in turn, allows for. I'll caveat that with the obvious fact that we're long past the point of putting people in the position to create legislation with a cynical intention... so, sadly, you're more than likely right. I just wish you weren't.
I thought you'd agree, that's why I stopped short at calling you a tory that believes in privatisation because no decent person would

Anyway in other news May refuses to rule out resigning if the EU demand a longer extension than june, which looks likely
Lazarus
Legend

7 months ago

8-X :vampire: :YMDEVIL: (~~)
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

7 months ago

Richard Branson's Virgin Group has made £300m from rail franchises https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... _clipboard

Cunt
Sid
Legend

7 months ago

The EU monitor their privatisation of EU nations assets. This is their data on the railways

No wonder Richard Branson wants to stay in the EU. He made 300m from britains railways which he's run into the ground, who knows how much he can make across the EU. Cunt.
swampash
Legend

6 months ago

What the fuck is going on...the government got another extension, but don't appear to be actually doing anything.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

swampash wrote:
6 months ago
What the fuck is going on...the government got another extension, but don't appear to be actually doing anything.
They are, you just have to keep up with it. Tory and Labour are having talks, yesterday labour said

“There has been movement in specific areas – we’ve had fantastic discussions on workers’ rights, for example, and the government seems quite amenable to moving towards what I’ve been asking for.“

Whch I just can't believe. Something’s not right.
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

There's a significant battle going on in labour between Corbyn / the left and neolib shithead Tom Watson, who like Laz predicted is making moves on Corbyn to steer Labour back to 'fuck the poor' Blairite centre ground

There's been an internal vote of no confidence in the cunt after he's been literally unwilling to work with lefties, leaking stuff to the press, undermining left wing policy and plotting with neolibs. Basically he's in the wrong party. But he's the centrist/neolibs last hope of taking back control of the party they hijacked 30 years ago, and making it the party for middle class careerist cokeheads again.
swampash
Legend

6 months ago

Do you think then Sid that the Tories and Labour will actually hammer out an agreement soon?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

swampash wrote:
6 months ago
Do you think then Sid that the Tories and Labour will actually hammer out an agreement soon?
Not soon, but eventually. It's all well and good agreeing stuff months before the deadline in autumn, so it could all go to shit. But there's definitely will within parliament to get it done, because the government that gets it done - even if it's a shit deal which it will be - will be praised by the electorate who just want this shit to end.
Lazarus
Legend

6 months ago

But it won't be Brexit so there'll be more MAYhem but without May. This shit is far from over.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X