vs Barcelona

Forum for match day threads
FuB
Legend

7 months ago

bman2 wrote:
7 months ago
Ole: "At times it felt like a proper Man United team. We got wide, got crosses in the box. Sometimes those crosses end with headers on goal, sometimes you miss them."

I'm not in love with that perspective tbh.
not so long ago you could put 81 crosses in and still not get a goal
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
fat maradona
First Teamer

7 months ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:
7 months ago
As well as that team could've done. Just not enough quality... can't wait for the summer window to see if we buy genuine world class.
I can't see anyone with genuine world class turning up in the summer, as the transfer policy could be that of signing very promising young players. Tbf, I'd be happy with that. We are going to be a 'team in transition' for the next season or two and a couple of genuine world class players won't turn us into title contenders with the state of the current squad as it is.

McTominay looked pretty decent last night, he should be picked over Matic every time. I didn't watch the first half and only caught the last 30 mins of the 2nd half but we looked like a team bereft of ideas or maybe even confidence. And Ashley Young is a utterly shite.
fat maradona
First Teamer

7 months ago

Sid wrote:
7 months ago
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
7 months ago
That’s about as well as this group of players can do, so no real complaints on that score.

Too many not good enough.

Fair fucks to McTominay - he’s come on a lot under Ole and was probably our best player.
Agree with that. It wasn't the hammering we were expecting. We were the better team and shit Barca up a couple of times. We're not that far off.
If you say so.......
marlon
Legend

7 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
7 months ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote:
7 months ago
As well as that team could've done. Just not enough quality... can't wait for the summer window to see if we buy genuine world class.
I can't see anyone with genuine world class turning up in the summer, as the transfer policy could be that of signing very promising young players. Tbf, I'd be happy with that. We are going to be a 'team in transition' for the next season or two and a couple of genuine world class players won't turn us into title contenders with the state of the current squad as it is.

McTominay looked pretty decent last night, he should be picked over Matic every time. I didn't watch the first half and only caught the last 30 mins of the 2nd half but we looked like a team bereft of ideas or maybe even confidence. And Ashley Young is a utterly shite.
We were better between their goal and the subs, so if you only saw the end you missed our ~good bit. Dalot's chance was about as good as the Suarez goal.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

7 months ago

"Tonight, Ashley Young lost possession a total of 32 times and attempted 11 crosses with 0 meeting their target. No player on the pitch lost possession more or had a worse crossing rate than him."

Dreadful.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
bman2
Legend

7 months ago

This match shows again how much we suffer for having no threat from the right. Apparently only 30% of our attacks come from the right side, the lowest level in the PL, and I bet the percentage of our goals that are scored from attacks coming down the right is even lower. We're too dependent on Pogba, and probably our second most important creative player, Martial, also plays on the left. Opposing teams now know that they can focus on compressing the centre-left side of our attack, compressing the space, fill it with defenders, and basically crowd out the likes of Pogba and Martial, make it very difficult for them to create something. And if we knock it out to the right... well there's not too much danger there. If we had someone on the right that could consistently take on and beat a defender in a one-on-one situation, that would give most teams too much to handle, defenders would have to shimmy over to our right, opening up opportunities.

It's why we're so much better away from home, so much better on the counter. McT's recent emergence is a result of him genuinely improving, but it's also a result of the fact that opposing teams are focusing more on the zone around Pogba. If he scores a few more goals, that's going to help a lot.

Funnily enough Barca have similar problems in the post-Neymar era, but obviously they're still better than us overall.
Sid
Legend

7 months ago

Fergie has travelled with the team for this. He's basically managing the team for this one.
Lazarus
Legend

7 months ago

We had to score anyway so not much has changed with the 0-1 they got. A one off game can go either way, this isn't impossible if we get at them. I'm looking forward to this!!!
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

7 months ago

Sid wrote:
7 months ago
Fergie has travelled with the team for this. He's basically managing the team for this one.
Whatever it takes! :))
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

7 months ago

Lazarus wrote:
7 months ago
We had to score anyway so not much has changed with the 0-1 they got. A one off game can go either way, this isn't impossible if we get at them. I'm looking forward to this!!!
Give it 15-20 mins....