Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, not disputing that. The main point was that if you didn't like Gaals football you wouldn't like Joses because they're cut from the same cloth, that's proven to be true.

But anyway, there's a proper debate to be had about Jose's success. He will always be considered one of the all time greats. But greats in the game today, he's definitely up there, but he's not what he was. Compare the trophies he won in the first 8 years of his career compared to the last 8 years - it's stark, there's been a big drop off. It'd be worth talking about why that is. Maybe not in this thread though
yeah... not in this thread but it is a truly salient point. in the end, though, it's moot because we're only concerned with his tenure here and that's been shit even though the statisticians would say it wasn't. maybe we should just forget watching the games and go back to the grandstand vidiprinter just for the results.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote: 5 years ago
Sid wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, not disputing that. The main point was that if you didn't like Gaals football you wouldn't like Joses because they're cut from the same cloth, that's proven to be true.

But anyway, there's a proper debate to be had about Jose's success. He will always be considered one of the all time greats. But greats in the game today, he's definitely up there, but he's not what he was. Compare the trophies he won in the first 8 years of his career compared to the last 8 years - it's stark, there's been a big drop off. It'd be worth talking about why that is. Maybe not in this thread though
yeah... not in this thread but it is a truly salient point. in the end, though, it's moot because we're only concerned with his tenure here and that's been shit even though the statisticians would say it wasn't. maybe we should just forget watching the games and go back to the grandstand vidiprinter just for the results.
Yeah or checking the score on teletext inbetween playing bamboozle
Lazarus
Legend

FuB wrote: 5 years ago
Lazarus wrote: 5 years ago
Sid wrote: 5 years ago Vidal agrees terms with Barca, 27m

So he's not coming here then
I'm glad we didn't sign him but I wonder why we didn't get him if Jose wanted him?

The Barca fans are not delighted, one of them called him a washed up alcoholic with dodgy knees..... X_X

did Jose actually want him or was this silly season bollocks to force a better offer from where he wanted to go?

… and he had "dodgy knees" for the last world cup (meaning 2014) where him and sanchez playing together were a fucking joy to behold despite him supposedly playing through injuries to said knees. I agree with the sentiments from others that, if we were to sign him, we should have done it sooner so i'm not that bothered.
That's why I said 'if'..... :-B
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
swampash
Legend

I can't help thinking though that he's got the sort of 'grit' that we seem to be missing. I think he would have been a useful addition.
marlon
Legend

He would've been great for a year or two, but he would've pushed one of Mourinho's £200m midfield out of the team and we have some serious holes in the squad to fill before then.

I like us buying young players, but Young/Shaw and Valencia/Dalot is a problem. Young and Valencia need to be replaced, not phased out.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

The right back West Ham have just signed from Fulham - Fredricks - he’s a player. In 12 months one of the big boys will be after him.
bman2
Legend

Twats at City set the precedent of £50-60M being the going rate for any senior level fullback, and none of the names being put about seemed all that compelling to me. Your man Sandro at Juve doesn't seem to have ever put in a full season's worth of minutes, didn't make the Brazil squad, and was put about as our great LB hope.

Think going for a younger promising lad is the right way to go in the circumstances. Sessegnon and Tierney look good too, we should go in for them after they've had another season under their belt.
Lazarus
Legend

bman2 wrote: 5 years ago Twats at City set the precedent of £50-60M being the going rate for any senior level fullback, and none of the names being put about seemed all that compelling to me. Your man Sandro at Juve doesn't seem to have ever put in a full season's worth of minutes, didn't make the Brazil squad, and was put about as our great LB hope.

Think going for a younger promising lad is the right way to go in the circumstances. Sessegnon and Tierney look good too, we should go in for them after they've had another season under their belt.
Jose could try to get something out of Darmian, coach him, play him, encourage him. He did look good once upon a time. But i agree with your points. That Liverpool kid that went to the WC is a real prospect.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
marlon
Legend

bman2 wrote: 5 years ago Twats at City set the precedent of £50-60M being the going rate for any senior level fullback, and none of the names being put about seemed all that compelling to me. Your man Sandro at Juve doesn't seem to have ever put in a full season's worth of minutes, didn't make the Brazil squad, and was put about as our great LB hope.

I disagree. That would be the better way of doing things ordinarily - if we were preparing to repalce Sanchez or Matic in a couple of years - but Young and Valencia are already past it. We've already gone young with Dalot so there's no point getting another RB, but Shaw is just a question mark and we know Young's not good enough. We need a left back who will be an upgrade this season. If there's a 20 year old who can do that, great, but it shouldn't be the limiting factor.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

* cough cough *

Young made team of the World Cup! So apparently he’s the best left back on the World Cup stage. Past it?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts