vs City

Forum for match day threads
just1n
Legend

6 years ago

You can add Evra to that list. He was constantly out of position. Jogging like an overtired weekend warrior instead of sprinting back to position like professional athlete.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

6 years ago

Fergie has to take some flack for that debacle today too. He left a legacy of trophies, but a combination of senility (final years) and obtuse Glazer pandering left his successor with a squad that was nowhere near as good as it should have been, despite being reigning champions. His legacy SHOULD have been a squad that was so good that whoever came in wouldn't have needed to make any changes for 12 months and could have found his feet against a backdrop of an undoubtedly strong side. We've been gong backwards since 2008 and only a premier league of diminishing quality has prevented our frailties from really being shown.

It may sound churlish, but it needs some fairly significant surgery. Rio's done, Evra's not far behind, Young should never have been bought, Valencia, Anderson, Cleverley, all a mixture of dross or substandard squaddies being asked to perform as top class players.

I don't know how much of today was down to Moyes and its way too early to judge, but I'd have to say that his performance in the summer was better than anything Fergie did in his last 2-3 years. At least he's had a go at addressing the problem areas.

Ah fuck it. It seems that its our turn to spend a few years in the footballing wilderness. I've clearly lost a bit of interest too because today actually didn't hurt as much as it should have done.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

Minus The Bear wrote:In fairness that was always going to happen with a new manager coming in. He took an axe to the staff, but was always likely to stick with all the players because at the end of the day they had just won the premier league. Had he sold some of them and we'd gone on to be as distinctly average he would have been lambasted for 'dismantling' a winning team.
See, that argument would carry more weight if, Pelligrini-like, Moyes had just arrived from abroad, but he's been required to study United at least twice a season for a decade, assessing its strength and weaknesses and trying to find a way to beat them. He should already know that Young and Anderson are total crap, etc.. As it is, he was always going to get lambasted either way. It's just a shame that he didn't have the courage to risk trying to win. I wouldn't have chosen this match to give Zaha a start, and certainly not Januzaj, but had he played Nani on the right, Welbeck on the left, and Kagawa behind Rooney and lost, I doubt most of us would be quite so angry.
dozer
Legend

6 years ago

Its not so bad. I still don't think arsenal will win this considering that they've been playing the easiest teams so far and at the end of last season. That leaves us 3 points behind city with tougher fixtures. Isn't so bad.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

tbf that was probably worse than the 6-1, this was like that 1-0 that park started in, we were battered here from the word go but this time they got their goals, them with their foreign passing and moving and high tempo football, and us with our subbuteo straight line 442 overhit crossing shite with nobody except the front two trying to play actual football

and them with their physical ball winning superb passing bollocksy box to box midfielder, and us with fellaini, thank god we bought him to make tackles and stop teams running through us at will
lkhm

hoofing
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

dozer wrote:Moyes' substitution actually brought back the game in our control. The lack of further subs however was baffling.
he brought on a midfielder who could pass the ball, wed started the game with only one
lkhm

hoofing
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

Minus The Bear wrote:
RobDiablo wrote:Today's loss was a result of not just Moyes' timid team selection and idiotic substitutions, but also of United's brilliant strategy of not selling any of the dross in the summer, choosing instead to buy more of it (overpaying in the process), and then playing the dross in match after match.
In fairness that was always going to happen with a new manager coming in. He took an axe to the staff, but was always likely to stick with all the players because at the end of the day they had just won the premier league. Had he sold some of them and we'd gone on to be as distinctly average he would have been lambasted for 'dismantling' a winning team.

That being said, they've got to be looking to shift the below come January:

Anderson - fat and constantly knackered
Lindegaard - average and not doing himself any favours
Young - one trick, which every man and his dog knows he does. And it's not even that fucking good.
Fletcher - Admit he's fucked.
Valencia - if anyone will have him.
Giggs - (no get rid, but just emphasis the coach element of the player coach role)

The crux is always going to be that this is a difficult season, but i'd rather we brought through the promising youngsters than toil with the same old shit. Because lets face it, we've shown ourselves to be fucking inept at signing people so should our youngsters rightly decide to fuck off, we'll be the first OAP premiership team. And unable to sign anyone.
rios looking like a spent force an all tbf
lkhm

hoofing
sheesh

6 years ago

It's a real shame that Rooney scored such a brilliant free kick but few will remember it after such a heavy defeat.

Our man of the match today by a country mile and our standout player of the season. I cannot question his attitude thus far. He's been magnificent. Like the Rooney of old.

Felt sorry for the fans who paid to watch that shite. Not the first time City have humiliated us in their own back yard.
Calvino
Reserves

6 years ago

I have to say that for the first time in a long time a United defeat has not filled me great pain. Each goal was bad to take but am actually very calm.

First things: David Moyes had a stiker with his starting shape. Absolutely shocking. His Everton side rarely ever played with a two wide men starting so how on earth could have gone into this game with both Young and Valencia? City play with all their midfielders tucked in brilliantly and out number our two so why allow that? We should have started with the team that finished the match.

We should have made it hard for City from the off. Stay and play rope-a-dope with them. Frustrate the life out of them and make them make mistakes. To be fair, the 2nd goal at the end of first half was a killer.

A more important thing is that we have a problem in the overall team shape when we have both Rio and Neman. Both of them are now too old for us to hold a high line and squeez the game up. Ashley Young's United career should be well and truly over now. At least not for any big game.

Anyone telling me this was worse than the 1-6 is blowing a bubble.

We move on. We have lost three points. We now have start accumulating points from the lesser lights of the league.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

6 years ago

Yes let's pin all our hopes on being able to beat the shit teams in the league!

FFS. Today was nothing short of a disgrace.

Moyes is not the man for us. May take a few years of decline before we let him go.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars