Vs Southampton

Forum for match day threads
senna
Legend
Posts: 2561
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

Sid wrote:Gaal apparently bollocked or had strong words with Rooney during the game

There are photos on the Caf but no video
Probably this

User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5207
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

senna wrote:
Sid wrote:Gaal apparently bollocked or had strong words with Rooney during the game

There are photos on the Caf but no video
Probably this

It didn't look like LVG was angry at Rooney; it looked like he was upset in general and was discussing it with Rooney.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23552
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

Yeah tbf not upset, just giving strong instructions
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13448
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

Anantax wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:So... missed the game... just watched the MotD highlights... saw nothing of Rooney... and it looked to me like we were lucky to win... aside from some class play from Martial and a couple outstanding saves from De Gea, we'd have lost...

Van Gall don't give a fuck though... he got one over on Koeman, so he's happy... still waiting for the "philosophy" to impress me... it doesn't... dropping points, or just scraping wins against teams we should beat, isn't impressive at all... Van Gall and his bullshit football can fuck off!
I dunno...i reslly thought we played really well.

We were horrible for first 25 minutes and deserved to be behind, but controlled the game afterwards. Nervy at the end, but to be expected given the poor way we conceded

We squandered away a couple of fast breaks (one in particular where Rooney just had to nudge the ball forward for 5 yards for Memphis but ended up passing it to the only defender around was particularly frustrating

And as I mentioned before our defending of non set piece crosses is horrible. Horrible vs PSV and horrible here. If we defended a little bit better, and took our fast breaks, its easily a 4-1 game
Well, I can't comment on 90 minutes, just the highlights that I saw... you say we controlled the game... sure you don't mean we had all the possession?

Whatever... judging by the highlights, we were gifted a goal, and Southampton had at least 2 other clear chances to score, that against most other keepers would have been in... so, from what I saw, it looked like we were lucky to win...

Bottom line... Van Gall has been in charge for coming on a year and a half, and spent over £200mill... yes???

Who here is impressed?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4384
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

Impressed would be too strong, but satisfied that we appear to be making progress and prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Can't argue with the fact we are second and only 2 points behind the leaders.
Not interested in the spend figure - we also shipped out a lot of dross and had to spend to repair the lack of investment.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
Anantax
Legend
Posts: 1001
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

swampash wrote:Impressed would be too strong, but satisfied that we appear to be making progress and prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Can't argue with the fact we are second and only 2 points behind the leaders.
Not interested in the spend figure - we also shipped out a lot of dross and had to spend to repair the lack of investment.
Agree with every word
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5207
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

Anantax wrote:
swampash wrote:Impressed would be too strong, but satisfied that we appear to be making progress and prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Can't argue with the fact we are second and only 2 points behind the leaders.
Not interested in the spend figure - we also shipped out a lot of dross and had to spend to repair the lack of investment.
Agree with every word
I feel 90% of the manager's skill is to get the right players. You have the players, you'll win titles.
Most managers fail because their signings don't work out and a lot of money is wasted.
I'd say even if 30% of the signings turn out good then the manager is good at transfers and better than most at buying players.

LvG has bought Herrera, Shaw, Di Maria, Blind, Rojo, Romero, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Martial, Memphis and Darmian.
A few have been bad but I think most of them look quite promising. Only Schweinsteiger looks world class mind.

There are a few idiots who think Van Gaal is only planning for immediate success but he's bought some very promising players who can really help us in the long run.

I sense that Van Gaal relies on versatile players more than even Fergie did. I mean, we know Fergie loved versatile players but Van Gaal takes it to a whole new level.
Fergie needed a huge squad. Van Gaal, I think wants a smaller squad and needs to have players to be able to fill in and do a fantastic job (not just an O'Shea/Rooney quality makeshift job) in many positions to cover injured players.
It's great for the players because they get to play a lot more games; that's the best coaching a player can get.
Post Reply