Vs the Barcodes

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

spektarm wrote:The offside rule doesn't apply only to feet? Only body part that isn't considered is the arms. Rooney was leaning, which means he is half a yard offside. But yeah, that's irrelevant now.
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:It kind of irrelevant, we shouldn't have to depend on marginal Lino calls in the first 10 mins of a game to beat Newcastle at home.

Shut out by Fabricio Collocini and Steven Taylor.
Exactly. If we had another great fast attacking 20 min spell in the second half, like the first 20 mins, we would have scored at least 1 for sure.

But of course, Van Gaal told them to keep more possession, because well, possession wins you games. Oh wait...
Did he? Or did you pull that out of your arse. Because Gaal said that the first 20 mins were the best he'd seen us play. He loved it. So why would he tell em to slow it down and pass the ball more

There's an England thing happening here. People want the players to be at it for 94 minitues, relentlessly attacking, screaming forward, bursting every blood vessel. And humans just can't do it. In every single game there are natural lulls and you just have to deal with it. It's at this point that the England fan goes THEY'RE NOT TRYING. OVERPAID, NO PASSION

And this idea that Gaal teams play awful boring sideways dead football has taken root, and games like today, and shit like Rooney's individual shitness, is blamed on that

It's this relationship with attacking football that we have, it problematic
Last edited by Sid on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

spektarm wrote:There's a positive at least. We should be striving towards this kind of football in most games.
Looks like that's the plan

Last season is looking to be a genuine transition year with lots going out and lots coming in. Same again this season.

But now you can see what's hopefully the finished product coming together, and then people will have to update their view of Gaal
spektarm
First Teamer

4 years ago

Here's another one out of my arse Sid: you should really consider dropping your anti-England charade already, it's annoying. FFS, I'm not English/British, I don't even live in the UK.

I just want us to play with attacking intent against teams that allow it. Nobody wants possession which doesn't result in chances. You'll be surprised how much I agree with your views about United...
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

We have a lot in common with England fans, it's pretty fucking obvious tbh

Not necessarily a bad thing
just1n
Legend

4 years ago

How did we play? Listened to the game on BBC and sounded like we were very attack minded and had many more shots than the 3 on target after our first two games.
Just need to finish the chances.
Heard they almost scored on a counter attack so I can understand why LVG prefers to have that protection in MF.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

4 years ago

just1n wrote:How did we play? Listened to the game on BBC and sounded like we were very attack minded and had many more shots than the 3 on target after our first two games.
Just need to finish the chances.
Heard they almost scored on a counter attack so I can understand why LVG prefers to have that protection in MF.

Tbf we're doing nearly everything right but our cutting edge is not there. He needs to rectify it asap.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:
brianofnazarethffs wrote:I should apologise for my outburst earlier. It's just 2 mins into injury time and we're sideways passing the fucking ball. Fucked me off no end.

Memphis did okay first 20 mins. When he clicks into gear (maybe next season) he's going to be class.

Fuck LVG and his sideways passing. NQAT.
There wasn't any bad sideways passes really, most of em were necessary to me

And in that situation with minutes left you need em to keep calm, keep knocking it about and trying to create a great chance rather than panicking and flinging balls into the box to create half chances, if that

That calmness is why we score so many late goals
Maybe 5 years ago... not any more...

It's Van Gall... it's just not fuckin working... week after week it's the same thing... excessive possession without threat... it's not about taking risks, it's about pursuing an attacking philosophy... Van Gall wants to claim he's attack minded, but that's a lie... he's ultimately,"safety first"... to a fault...

I'm comfortable with the passing, and patient build up... it's the refusal to unleash the attackers in the final third... I've never seen a United team so restrained when we're within 30 yards of goal... too many shots not hit first time, too many threatening passes refused for a safer option... we don't play hardly any one touch triangles, and give and goes any more...

I'm sick of it... we're stuck with the fucker for now, so I'll keep hoping... but I don't expect much form this season... we'll probably keep fourth, and have a run in the cups, but it will be a lot of 1-nils, and we'll do well to even make the final 16 in the Champs league...

Thing is... I don't think the Glazers would be disappointed with any of that...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

What was safety first about today or Brugge though? Brugge was relentless attacking football, and today we created shitloads of good situations were we threatened, so much so that we were exposed on the counter. The counter was on at other times too but Newcastle's bus park mentality prevented them from taking advantage

The football has changed. It's closer to Fergie football now with an emphasis on one v ones out wide and overlapping full backs. The boring sideways, constantly going back to the keeper narrative doesn't fit. You need to look at it for what it is, honestly, unbiased.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:What was safety first about today or Brugge though? Brugge was relentless attacking football, and today we created shitloads of good situations were we threatened, so much so that we were exposed on the counter. The counter was on at other times too but Newcastle's bus park mentality prevented them from taking advantage

The football has changed. It's closer to Fergie football now with an emphasis on one v ones out wide and overlapping full backs. The boring sideways, constantly going back to the keeper narrative doesn't fit. You need to look at it for what it is, honestly, unbiased.

Tbf, the full backs were only bombing forward of their own accord, Shaw had a little bit of an understanding with Depay but Mata ignored about 6 great overlaps and chose to square it or cut back and try a cross that was never on for him.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:What was safety first about today or Brugge though? Brugge was relentless attacking football, and today we created shitloads of good situations were we threatened, so much so that we were exposed on the counter. The counter was on at other times too but Newcastle's bus park mentality prevented them from taking advantage

It's closer to the Fergie football of his last years, sure... didn't much like that either, but at least that was more effective...

I just don't see what you see Sid... "The boring sideways, constantly going back to the keeper narrative doesn't fit"... I never said anything like that... it's the way so much of our football inside of 30 yards looks so feeble, and seldom leads to anything...

Van Gall himself admits he's satisfied with just a couple shots on goal... it's just all too deliberate... football isn't like that...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."