vs Tottenham

Forum for match day threads
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

He's bought 9 players and spent £200m (not including di Maria). He's got his players.
just1n
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:He's bought 9 players and spent £200m (not including di Maria). He's got his players.
We spent £205million and recouped £90million while getting rid of plenty of squad dross.

If we get Pedro then that's enough for now. Won't make sense to add another 3 players as certain posters on here have mentioned. That would mean 8 new players for the first team squad. That's way too much.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:He's bought 9 players and spent £200m (not including di Maria). He's got his players.

Few sensible buys but mostly third choice Id reckon, too early to properly judge but Blind Rojo etc. are just replacing squad players we let go,

Blind, Rojo, Memphis, Schnederlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Di Maria, Falcao loan,

He signed off on the Herrera and Shaw deals fair enough but they were already teed up,

We've basically done just ok because we've signed actual full backs who look decent and signed three midfielders which we needed about 4 years ago.

Some decent buys but its only bringing the squad up to the very basic level we should expect,

We are shit at getting deals done and thats it, we pay players so much that we cant offload anyone in a decent way, we are just happy to save on the wages so we let players go for fuck all. Over pay and sell for peanuts, shite.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Absolutely... and besides, he's supposed to be one of the "elite" level managers... he's got more than enough attacking talent to create chances... he chooses to NOT play that way...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
just1n
Legend

4 years ago

redzebs wrote:

Few sensible buys but mostly third choice Id reckon, too early to properly judge but Blind Rojo etc. are just replacing squad players we let go,

Blind, Rojo, Memphis, Schnederlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Di Maria, Falcao loan,

He signed off on the Herrera and Shaw deals fair enough but they were already teed up,

We've basically done just ok because we've signed actual full backs who look decent and signed three midfielders which we needed about 4 years ago.

Some decent buys but its only bringing the squad up to the very basic level we should expect,

We are shit at getting deals done and thats it, we pay players so much that we cant offload anyone in a decent way, we are just happy to save on the wages so we let players go for fuck all. Over pay and sell for peanuts, shite.
That's not LVG's fault. He does not negotiate deals or draw up contracts. That's for the suits to do.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

It's all well and good saying that, but he's essentially trying to create a top level team from scratch, one good enough to win the league or the Champions League. He walked into a wasteland:

An excellent GK in De Gea, but now Van Gaal has to replace him.
Evra, Vidic, Ferdinard -- practically an entire top class backline gone.
Only one good central midfielder, Carrick, who was injured for more than half of the season and this could well be his last season.
Giggs, gone.
RVP, past it.
Rooney, possible also past it.

So what's he got to work with? Only two players that were an important part of winning our last title, Carrick and Rooney, and both of them are in decline
A few other good players whose role in the team is not clear: Smalling, Mata, Shaw, Herrera

And that's about it. That's at best half a good team, let alone a great team. As far as I can tell, the only player that Ferguson bought in the last five years of his managership that looks like he has a future in our team is Smalling, with Jones and Young as squaddies. When you look down through the list of our signings and the players we let go, it reads like a dying club.
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

I reckon this team can win an average league

We can definitely be up there
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

just1n wrote:
redzebs wrote:

That's not LVG's fault. He does not negotiate deals or draw up contracts. That's for the suits to do.

Thats exactly my point, are Blind and Rojo really massive upgrades on Brown and O'Shea?

The suits, they must have valets because they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery never mind dress themselves or sign someone without making cunts out of us
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Anantax
Legend

4 years ago

Dunno about anyone else, but given results this weekend I am actually feeling fsirly optimistic

Yes we didnt play that well, but we were quite solid defensively, and showed flashes going forward.

Chelsea drew, arsenal lost, liverpool didnt play that well, tottenham lost, so results wise it was a good weekend.

I do think season started too early and its showing in the performances
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

4 years ago

I don't know how anyone can be optimistic after that. If he'd come out afterwards and said 'yes it was flat, but its day one, we're still looking for sharpness, the new players are gelling and we'll get better. The main thing is three points'. I'd have felt a bit better.

But he didn't. He was pleased with the performance. 'we created lots of chances through our transitions'. He can get fucked. We're awful to watch. Every other team I saw play this weekend looked brighter, sharper and had more attacking intent.

How the fuck is an attacking player meant to show anything of note in this system?

He's a stubborn, self indulgent fuck.