vs Tottenham

Forum for match day threads
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

spektarm wrote:
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote: That's why Im not putting any store in the whole 'first game of the season' thing. It was far too similar to last season.
Agreed.

Van Gaal is trying to be a smart arse again, playing Memphis at 10 (or alongside Rooney at times), instead of dropping Young who is certainly not going to get any better. Also not playing Herrera, who was arguably our best player bar De Gea last season...

One positive is Fellaini wasn't even on the bench!!! :))
I thought Young looked pretty fair, to be honest.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:Based on the rumours, I have the impression that Bayern have unofficially put Gotze in the shop window. If there's nothing else going on, I'd say we'd be mad not to get him.
Agree that. He's definitely at loggerheads with Pep. Would be a good steal imho.
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
bman2 wrote:Based on the rumours, I have the impression that Bayern have unofficially put Gotze in the shop window. If there's nothing else going on, I'd say we'd be mad not to get him.
Bit too similar to Mata for me. Pedro would be a big boost if that happens. Van Gaal will probably play him left back though.
Can't say I really get the comparison to Mata, tbf.
IrishDevil87
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

Rooney was non-existent , not sure If LVGs fault for that but he didn't offer anything when he did get the ball- it always looked like he was tripping over the ball...and that goal- he nearly fucked that up before Walker helped him out....
Remember his goals in his heyday season- the amount of first time finishes from RW crosses - he would hVe snapped that one up today no problem- now he looks half the player...

Darmain looked very solid...offered a big gojng forward and combined well with Mata, made a few good interceptions too..

Schnederlein started nervously- but ended up top passes and most interceptions/tackles... Think he'll be a starter

Bastian looked a proper leader and will be essential he's fit for the CL... Think it will be between him and Carrick most matches

Why is LVG playing Delay at 10?!
He should be on RW with Mata at 10

Agree with absolutely everything you said. I personally think Rooneys been like this since RVP came in. When he was there RVP was best no9 and Kagawa our best no10. Now Mata is our top no10, (I view Depay as a winger at the moment) I was shocked as I hadnt watched all the preseason live and noticed today how we need pace up top, or a physical presence up there and pace off it.
Its interesting the number of choices we have this year if they gel. The way I see us lining up
Romero
Darmian Smalling?/need defender? Blind/Rojo Shaw
Schneiderlin + Carrick/Schweinsteiger
Depay/Januzaj Mata/Rooney Herrera/Young
FAST PHYSICAL STRIKER (who scores with 1/2 chances per game)

We keep the ball very well and I thought about our defence. I like Romero as a keeper, so wont be TOO worried if we dont sign another keeper after degae leaves.As for defence, I see Darmian as definite starter rb and shaw should hopefully cement his place as lb this season. Defence looks a bit shaky, but the way blind is so easy taking possession deep, I think VG might look at him as first choice lcb. If we get a cb I think he will be a rightfooter but dont think we will sign anybody who is a huge improvement on our current defenders. I loved the way Schneiderlin gets stuck in. He is a bundle of energy so he might be very "balanced" with an older passer beside him comfortable on the ball in either carrick or schweinsteiger. Just really hope we go all out sign Cavani. He'd be no1 for me. You can see LVG thinking in the way he sets up teams. Falcao of old was the type of player who scored goals with minimum chances. High possession needs a clinical striker.Also, Robben and Di Maria are similar in that maybe LVG wanted a speedster behind a front striker to break away.
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

IrishDevil87 wrote:Rooney was non-existent , not sure If LVGs fault for that but he didn't offer anything when he did get the ball- it always looked like he was tripping over the ball...and that goal- he nearly fucked that up before Walker helped him out....
Remember his goals in his heyday season- the amount of first time finishes from RW crosses - he would hVe snapped that one up today no problem- now he looks half the player...

Darmain looked very solid...offered a big gojng forward and combined well with Mata, made a few good interceptions too..

Schnederlein started nervously- but ended up top passes and most interceptions/tackles... Think he'll be a starter

Bastian looked a proper leader and will be essential he's fit for the CL... Think it will be between him and Carrick most matches

Why is LVG playing Delay at 10?!
He should be on RW with Mata at 10

Agree with absolutely everything you said. I personally think Rooneys been like this since RVP came in. When he was there RVP was best no9 and Kagawa our best no10. Now Mata is our top no10, (I view Depay as a winger at the moment) I was shocked as I hadnt watched all the preseason live and noticed today how we need pace up top, or a physical presence up there and pace off it.
Its interesting the number of choices we have this year if they gel. The way I see us lining up
Romero
Darmian Smalling?/need defender? Blind/Rojo Shaw
Schneiderlin + Carrick/Schweinsteiger
Depay/Januzaj Mata/Rooney Herrera/Young
FAST PHYSICAL STRIKER (who scores with 1/2 chances per game)

We keep the ball very well and I thought about our defence. I like Romero as a keeper, so wont be TOO worried if we dont sign another keeper after degae leaves.As for defence, I see Darmian as definite starter rb and shaw should hopefully cement his place as lb this season. Defence looks a bit shaky, but the way blind is so easy taking possession deep, I think VG might look at him as first choice lcb. If we get a cb I think he will be a rightfooter but dont think we will sign anybody who is a huge improvement on our current defenders. I loved the way Schneiderlin gets stuck in. He is a bundle of energy so he might be very "balanced" with an older passer beside him comfortable on the ball in either carrick or schweinsteiger. Just really hope we go all out sign Cavani. He'd be no1 for me. You can see LVG thinking in the way he sets up teams. Falcao of old was the type of player who scored goals with minimum chances. High possession needs a clinical striker.Also, Robben and Di Maria are similar in that maybe LVG wanted a speedster behind a front striker to break away.

Herrera isn't a wide player
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
IrishDevil87
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

Herrera isn't a wide player.
Yeah I know. But where would you put him if we get a striker which I think we need. I could see us playing without out and out wingers if we got a new striker to base our attack around. Is Rooney clinical enough in the current setup? You could put Herrera at 10 and push Mata wide.But is no10 a straight shootout between Herrera Mata or Rooney. If we had a clinical striker, Rooney would be pushed back. At times the way we played football last year was barca esque and they dont play with out and out wingers..lots of movement and intelligent football. if you get the most intelligent footballers together, mata and herrera alongside pace in depay and a clinical striker in rooney, and with two solid midfielders behind them, schweinsteiger/schneiderlin, then I dont think formations matter as much..
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

I sort of agree with a lot of that, Irish. You need a core formation, but it needs to be able to shift quickly into different patterns. I don't really know enough about the tactics, but it seems to me that we haven't quite got the right mix for our core formation to be 433; looking at what we have it feels more like a 4231 that can morph into other shapes, such as 4141, without bringing on subs. I really wish I knew more about the tactical side of the game. Anyone know any good reference sources?
Anantax
Legend

5 years ago

Havign slept on it I am actually rather encouraged by our play, albeit we do lack that creative spark.

Aside from 1-2 moments of nerves/rust and the still developing fitness (2 players had cramps!) I thought many, esp the new players, performed admirably

mata and basti was good, darmian was awesome, schneiderlin and smalling were great! Depay showed flashes, and Romero, after an early case of nerves and wayward passes, were quite solid. Young was ok, but he is limited, and rooney was quite nonexistent which explains the lack of chances.

I think it explains a lot that the goal is the result of the rare instances that mata, young and rooney combining together. In lvg's system thats what needs to happen for chances to occur. To be fair spurs was sitting quite deep in the beginning, and did a great job of harassing our players immediately once they got the ball. I thought the ref could have called off some of the harrassment better (a knee to rooney's head, and all day assault on young went uncalled, whereas a little roughhness by schneiderlin is constantly whistled)

I thought we looked much better going forward once Basti came in, he controlled the midfield well.

Its early in the season and I think priority now is ensuring defensive solidity, esp with DDG being the cunt, and I thought we looked solid against a top 5 side. The 10 minute period in the end where Spurs had most of their chances was when Darmian was already withdrawn due to cramps.

I think/hope that once Basti and Memphis settles in we'd be much better going forward.
madmax
Star Man

5 years ago

danniitronix wrote:We won. Mediocre performance by all accounts.
No fuck or shit given.
spoken like a true top red. kudos danni
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

5 years ago

we wont get a striker, we'll get a shite player from barcelona wholl take matas place, his job will be to sit at the back post and wait for scraps off overhit young crosses tbf
lkhm

hoofing