vs Burnley

Forum for match day threads
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

Van Gaal thinks the midfield would fall apart without Rooney...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ld-problem

What is it that Rooney does in midfield that no one else does? The only thing I can think of is a physical presence who isn't a bad passer or too slow.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:Van Gaal thinks the midfield would fall apart without Rooney...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ld-problem

What is it that Rooney does in midfield that no one else does? The only thing I can think of is a physical presence who isn't a bad passer or too slow.
I honestly believe this is just Van Gall being a self centred cunt... seriously... he's got to be important, and there's no glory to had in doing what's expected, what everyone else would do... he's got to create drama where there isn't any, so people are talking about him...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

4 years ago

“When you look at the statistics that I am looking, for our process, then I am disappointed that we play in that way. Next match we can show that we are still in our process and positive, when you see that it's not bad I think.”

What the fuck does that even mean?
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

They've included the full audio of that interview here for context:
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... teds-style

No idea what it means, but it's obvious we're not playing the football he wants. Which is concerning - all the extra training without European football and by mid Febrauary we're playing worse than in October. Why isn't his coaching working?
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

Maybe because the players are getting away playing bullshit football. We're still in the top 4, with just 1 defeat in 18. They got away with it during Fergie's last couple of years too, playing dogshit football but losing the league on goal difference and then winning it.

Scholes played in dogshit teams too with fucked up formations and players playing in piss take positions, like Raf in midfield ffs. But Top Red romanticism tells us the Fergie years were all free flowing 442 with no exceptions

If Van Gaal can't impliment his style then who can. This cunt relandscaped Carrington so the dozy twats would pass the ball. He might literally have to sell every player who doesn't do what he wants.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:“When you look at the statistics that I am looking, for our process, then I am disappointed that we play in that way. Next match we can show that we are still in our process and positive, when you see that it's not bad I think.”

What the fuck does that even mean?
I think he means something like "progression" or "evolution", i.e. that the team is showing signs of mastering a new style of play.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

4 years ago

Maybe they just don't fucking understand him? Because I'll be honest, if he speaks to them as he does in interviews, and you'd have to think he must be, I think most of 'em will be scratching their heads. And it's not as if we're just talking about tactically naive and inflexible 'British players'. Valencia, Blind, Rojo, Di Maria, Fellaini, Falcao, Van Persie. This lot have been playing regularly.

I can kind of understand why we're shit defensively and when they look so uncomfortable with the ball at the back. What I struggle to get my head around is why we're so shit going forward. I thought Van Gaal was supposed to be about tactical invocation, attacking football, high tempo...?
Last edited by ashleyfuckingyoung on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote: No idea what it means, but it's obvious we're not playing the football he wants.
I'm not sure I believe that... we must be playing the football HE WANTS... because no one else wants it...

I don't know what the fuck he's on about, but it seems to me that, when it's good, and it's working, then Van Gall takes credit... and when it's shit, and failing, it's the players are letting him down...

He's not the first manager to blame the players when results aren't satisfactory... but he's the first one I've seen that so brazenly blames the players, even when everyone can see that it's his methods that are causing the problems... it's all but unanimous...

Like I said... Van Gall may well be a genius, and know a new way to play... but right now, he obviously doesn't have the players for what he wants to do, and he's just making a right fuckin mess of things, by trying to force players into roles, they're not capable of playing properly...

He's been at this manager lark for a long time... he obviously must be capable of managing different styles and systems... instead of being a stubborn cunt about it, he should pick the system that suits the players he's got right now... if he wants to fulfil some new vision of the game, fine... when he's got the players for it, then maybe it'll work... maybe...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Steggo
Legend

4 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Like I said... Van Gall may well be a genius, and know a new way to play... but right now, he obviously doesn't have the players for what he wants to do, and he's just making a right fuckin mess of things, by trying to force players into roles, they're not capable of playing properly...
Yes,it's quite strange. He obviously does not have the players for his system yet persists on playing either players that can't 'get it' or players that won't be here next season,instead of playing to their individual skills in a system that would work. And the reason the strikers are not working is because the service to them,whether from the wings or through the middle is so slow it's dire.Forward runs are too easy to pick up by defenders or delivery is so slow from the midfield that the runs cannot be made.Or maybe we just have crap,out of form attackers? Still,Van Gaal can argue that things can only get better!
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

Steggo wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Like I said... Van Gall may well be a genius, and know a new way to play... but right now, he obviously doesn't have the players for what he wants to do, and he's just making a right fuckin mess of things, by trying to force players into roles, they're not capable of playing properly...
Yes,it's quite strange. He obviously does not have the players for his system yet persists on playing either players that can't 'get it' or players that won't be here next season,instead of playing to their individual skills in a system that would work. And the reason the strikers are not working is because the service to them,whether from the wings or through the middle is so slow it's dire.Forward runs are too easy to pick up by defenders or delivery is so slow from the midfield that the runs cannot be made.Or maybe we just have crap,out of form attackers? Still,Van Gaal can argue that things can only get better!
Strange indeed. Hugo Strange.