vs Newcastle

Forum for match day threads
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote: If by "one or two decent crosses" you mean creating a half-dozen goal-scoring chances per game, then yeah, that's a fair appraisal of Young recently. i hate this bollocks where people act as if there's basically a number assigned to describe how good a player is, like Young's a "5/10" player and that's that, when in fact how good a player looks is massively dependent on what they're being asked to do, the system they're playing in, and the coaching they're getting. I mean, have you even fucking noticed that Young uses his left foot a lot now, so that opposition full backs are having a really hard time dealing with him? He's currently the only player we have who's creating goal-scoring opportunities against a settled defense, which is a major fucking issue when you're aspiring to have 70% possession.
To be clear, he's creating about 1 chance per game. All of Falcao, Rooney, van Persie, di Maria, Mata, Januzaj and Herrera are creating more. Valencia, Rafael and Shaw are creating the same number of chances and Rafael and Shaw have down that playing in a back 4. He's had 2 good games recently, but he's also part of the reason we're playing a back 3, which fucks the whole team up.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:
bman2 wrote: If by "one or two decent crosses" you mean creating a half-dozen goal-scoring chances per game, then yeah, that's a fair appraisal of Young recently. i hate this bollocks where people act as if there's basically a number assigned to describe how good a player is, like Young's a "5/10" player and that's that, when in fact how good a player looks is massively dependent on what they're being asked to do, the system they're playing in, and the coaching they're getting. I mean, have you even fucking noticed that Young uses his left foot a lot now, so that opposition full backs are having a really hard time dealing with him? He's currently the only player we have who's creating goal-scoring opportunities against a settled defense, which is a major fucking issue when you're aspiring to have 70% possession.
To be clear, he's creating about 1 chance per game. All of Falcao, Rooney, van Persie, di Maria, Mata, Januzaj and Herrera are creating more. Valencia, Rafael and Shaw are creating the same number of chances and Rafael and Shaw have down that playing in a back 4. He's had 2 good games recently, but he's also part of the reason we're playing a back 3, which fucks the whole team up.
To be clear, that's got nothing to do with in reality. We're playing a back 3 because we have no full backs available. None. Zero, except maybe some academy players. And the past couple of games Young has created practically all of our chances to score -- two important exceptions being two of the goals against newcastle. But fuck it, what's the point. Most people just make up their mind about a player and never change it no matter what happens on the pitch, especially if they're British or Irish and came to us from a mid-table or lower-table club.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
bman2 wrote:
If by "one or two decent crosses" you mean creating a half-dozen goal-scoring chances per game, then yeah, that's a fair appraisal of Young recently. i hate this bollocks where people act as if there's basically a number assigned to describe how good a player is, like Young's a "5/10" player and that's that, when in fact how good a player looks is massively dependent on what they're being asked to do, the system they're playing in, and the coaching they're getting. I mean, have you even fucking noticed that Young uses his left foot a lot now, so that opposition full backs are having a really hard time dealing with him? He's currently the only player we have who's creating goal-scoring opportunities against a settled defense, which is a major fucking issue when you're aspiring to have 70% possession.
Fuck me, an international, professional footballer using his left foot?
Please name all the wingers in the PL who can put in a good cross with both feet.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote:
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
bman2 wrote:
If by "one or two decent crosses" you mean creating a half-dozen goal-scoring chances per game, then yeah, that's a fair appraisal of Young recently. i hate this bollocks where people act as if there's basically a number assigned to describe how good a player is, like Young's a "5/10" player and that's that, when in fact how good a player looks is massively dependent on what they're being asked to do, the system they're playing in, and the coaching they're getting. I mean, have you even fucking noticed that Young uses his left foot a lot now, so that opposition full backs are having a really hard time dealing with him? He's currently the only player we have who's creating goal-scoring opportunities against a settled defense, which is a major fucking issue when you're aspiring to have 70% possession.
Fuck me, an international, professional footballer using his left foot?
Please name all the wingers in the PL who can put in a good cross with both feet.
I really can't be arsed thinking too hard about it, but there are plenty of players who provide quality deliveries from both feet, especially if Young is the standard. Hazard, Rooney, Oscar, Sanchez, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc. and they're all better than Young.

We're obviously on a different page. And I'll agree that Young has improved on what he offered last season, is playing with more belief and would seem to be responding to what Van Gaal is asking of him. But in my book he's a long way from being excellent, either in terms of quality or consistency, and if he were on the market right now, none of the top clubs in Europe would give him even a passing glance.

Far too many of us have become accepting of dross. I genuinely think that some supporters have 'forgotten' what real, top drawer quality looks like. Probably because it's a while since we've been at that top level.
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote:
marlon wrote:
To be clear, that's got nothing to do with in reality. We're playing a back 3 because we have no full backs available. None. Zero, except maybe some academy players. And the past couple of games Young has created practically all of our chances to score -- two important exceptions being two of the goals against newcastle. But fuck it, what's the point. Most people just make up their mind about a player and never change it no matter what happens on the pitch, especially if they're British or Irish and came to us from a mid-table or lower-table club.
He wasn't involved in any of the goals vs. Newcastle.

Like I said, he's had 2 good games - it's crazy to change your opinion on a player after 2 games. He looks like a decent squad player right now, which is better than last season, but that's about it.
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

^^^ the hypocrisy in that post is sweet.
You judge players even before they actually play for us and a player you don't like is someone you never will like whether they have 10 good games or 2.
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

What are you on about? He's been shit for three years. It's going to take more than a couple of games.
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:What are you on about? He's been shit for three years. It's going to take more than a couple of games.
Agreed but at least Young deserves credit where it's due.
He's been shite but he's been good at left wing back most of the time he's played there.
It's like the shite players are condemned even if they do well in some games.