Forum for match day threads
jason_uk
First Teamer

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
FuB wrote:
1 month ago
i think the fact we've had a long break and all the players are essentially "fit" (albeit likely a little rusty), it clearly highlights that the issues we were seeing prior to the lockdown are "the problems". James is full of bluster but just does not operate on the right well and is not the solution there. Greenwood doesn't deserve to be shoehorned into that position either. Martial frustrates more than not. Fred isn't the right choice to sit in front of defence, especially when a team is looking to hit us on the break. This is not to be read as "Fred is crap"... he's just not the right choice. Shaw was getting better before the break and does do good stuff but he's far too often a liability.

Admittedly, we were up against Mourinho's defend and let the opposition have the ball tactic but, for all our good play, we were just back to not being able to create enough chances.

I agree we're lacking the right side and this keeps forcing us to play narrow. Spurs exposed this several times by pinging crossfield balls over the top of the entire team.
Yep. You just called out all the positions we need to improve on except that we also need to replace Lindelof. He's the weakness especially when we find ourselves defending more.

Even Rashford isn't anywhere close to the top players in other clubs who play on the left wing.

On Rashford, just out of interest which left sided players do you think are better, aside from Mane? Are you talking about PL, or europe, as in the premier leageue I don't see many teams having a better left attacker.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

jason_uk wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
FuB wrote:
1 month ago
i think the fact we've had a long break and all the players are essentially "fit" (albeit likely a little rusty), it clearly highlights that the issues we were seeing prior to the lockdown are "the problems". James is full of bluster but just does not operate on the right well and is not the solution there. Greenwood doesn't deserve to be shoehorned into that position either. Martial frustrates more than not. Fred isn't the right choice to sit in front of defence, especially when a team is looking to hit us on the break. This is not to be read as "Fred is crap"... he's just not the right choice. Shaw was getting better before the break and does do good stuff but he's far too often a liability.

Admittedly, we were up against Mourinho's defend and let the opposition have the ball tactic but, for all our good play, we were just back to not being able to create enough chances.

I agree we're lacking the right side and this keeps forcing us to play narrow. Spurs exposed this several times by pinging crossfield balls over the top of the entire team.
Yep. You just called out all the positions we need to improve on except that we also need to replace Lindelof. He's the weakness especially when we find ourselves defending more.

Even Rashford isn't anywhere close to the top players in other clubs who play on the left wing.

On Rashford, just out of interest which left sided players do you think are better, aside from Mane? Are you talking about PL, or europe, as in the premier leageue I don't see many teams having a better left attacker.
Sterling is also better.
I'm talking about the premier league. Which also means champs league winning quality.
But in the EPL alone he doesn't start for the teams competing for the title.
jason_uk
First Teamer

1 month ago

So 2 clubs, Liverpool and City, yeah Mane is better than Rashford currently, but is 6 years older, and in prime of his career. Sterling is subjective, is he really better than Rashford? I'm not so sure, he has been trash this season (12 goals 2 assists vs Rashford 14 goals 5 assists) and thats with Sterling playing in a much better attacking team than Rashford.

Out of of the positions where we can improve, Rashford as an attacking left winger is low on the list for me - he not even on the list for me.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

jason_uk wrote:
1 month ago
So 2 clubs, Liverpool and City, yeah Mane is better than Rashford currently, but is 6 years older, and in prime of his career. Sterling is subjective, is he really better than Rashford? I'm not so sure, he has been trash this season (12 goals 2 assists vs Rashford 14 goals 5 assists) and thats with Sterling playing in a much better attacking team than Rashford.

Out of of the positions where we can improve, Rashford as an attacking left winger is low on the list for me - he not even on the list for me.
Point is he's not a top top player. He won't start for the only 2 teams competing for the league. Or any league.
He's had his time... I'm convinced that this is his limit.

Yes... We need to replace others first perhaps but if we get a good left winger we should look away.