vs Brighton

Forum for match day threads
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

[ quote="Alfonso Bedoya"]Hard to score against a team you can't get the ball off of...[/quote]
Wait, you want possession football now?
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

Like Cantona, I think most of us would have preferred Pep, but it wasn’t to be. I’m mostly ok with Jose. My biggest problem is his short-termism: frankly I’m worried every week that he’s about to storm out. So there’s a lot about the “project” to like, but the truth is that the project is sitting on a time bomb. History shows that it’s very unlikely that he finishes next season at United. So should the club fully back him in the summer? Should it even start the season with him? I could see us selling the likes of Miki and Martial, only for a new manager to join halfway through the season and complain that we sold our best creative players.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

Yeah, Bernie... it's hard to picture Mourinho in the long term... all the more reason to think about a DoF, who would be involved in building the team, following a plan that suits Mourinho but sees past him as well.......
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

[ quote="Alfonso Bedoya"]Hard to score against a team you can't get the ball off of...[/quote]
Wait, you want possession football now?

Fuck sake Sid... take a day off Mate... you're just making a tit of yourself...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Alf, Mourinho doesn't need a DoF, he's building to his plan without one. He's got 7 players and spent 350m ffs. Granted you can't see the end result yet, but his vision, his philosophy is taking shape. You just don't like the look of it.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

3 years ago

I don't disagree with that Alf. We are making progress, and Mourinho will always be a pragmatic manager. I've been very vocal about the need for rework in the squad, and am in favour of a DoF role to provide proper longer term football direction within the club.

However, I think the criticism that most have isn't specifically about a desire to see more attacking players - it's to see more attacking balance and technical competency in the side. We don't look to have much cohesion about how we attack. It just seems thrown together. We've needed a proper wide player for a while - not bringing one in during the summer was a mistake. Though in fairness to Mourinho it seems as though he did want Perisic - albeit it sounds like he was earmarked to play as a wing back rather than being a dynamic attacking player to help us open up teams.

I watch the likes of Hazard with envy. For a club like us, with the money we've spent, to not have a player like that is criminal.
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

"" "Mikki and Martial our best players" :)) =)) =))

And you wonder why your clinically depressed. :)) :)) :ymapplause: ""

Deliberate misquotation, fundamental grammatical errors, overabundance of emoticons. Yup, it's a Harry Classic.
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

In terms of DoF, it seemed to fly under the radar, but in the summer we hired that guy who is credited with being Juve's transfer magician over the past few years, the guy who snapped up bargains like Pogba and Khedira and got Juve back to the very top on a relative shoestring.

So I don't know what's going on there, but I hope this summer, or even January, we finally start seeing some canny transfers of our own, besides just spending big time.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

@Ash

Yeah, but it seems to me that the traditional 4-4-2 winger is old school now, and quality wingbacks is the way forward... compact in the middle is more important than a dedicated line runner...

And you're right about the money we've spent... but had we picked the right manager from the start, after Ferguson retired, and that one man spent all the money we have spent on one team, instead of 3 different rebuilds, what a team we might have now...

Ferguson left an old team, on it's vinegars, in need of a complete rebuild...

Mopes squandered money in desperation cause he got stuck chasing fairies, Van Gall spent a ton, but how much was wasted on Di Maria and Depay, and he didn't last long enough to follow his plan anyway, and Mourinho then comes along, and spends a ton according to his ideas...

When you need such a deep overhaul, it's impossible to fix all at once... one manager could have prioritized, and repaired the whole team by now, with real quality... but each manager has a different set of priorities, and we've wasted a lot of money... in fact, you could argue we've actually got the most value from Mopes 2 additions... what the fuck does that tell you???
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

@Bernie...

Mopes copped a lot of stick for turfing out all Fergusons backroom staff, when he could have used their experience, and connection to the squad, and that's a fair point... but it was just as big a fuck up from the top, to allow both Ferguson AND Gill to go at the same time as well...

The whole club couldn't have made a bigger mess of Fergusons retirement, if they'd let a Liverpool fan sort it...