vs Brighton

Forum for match day threads
bman2
Legend

2 years ago

And to be fair, Conte just shat himself against Liverpool as well. He started with 3 CBs at the back and three DMs in the middle - Conte, Drinkwater, and Bakayoko. Pulled the DMs for the likes of Fabregas when he was chasing the game, then they battered Liverpool, they should have shown more bollocks from the beginning.

City look unstoppable. But this might be a glorious one-off season for them, they look like magic. The fact is that the three previous winners of the PL: Chelsea under Mourinho, Leicester, and Chelsea under Conte, won the league by playing defensive counter-attacking football. So in spite of what City are doing at the moment, it's plainly not true to argue that Mourinho's approach is out of date. but the sad fact is I think we are battling for second.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Maybe not out of date, but less effective now that Pep has changed the game? What do you reckon bman?
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

2 years ago

I have a concern with Jose's comments post match. I watched a program on sky a couple of weeks ago where one of the media fellas talked about how negative press comments really get to Mourinho, get under his skin...

“I wouldn’t be surprised if, today, some of the pundits say we play with too many attackers, but, if they say that, I think they are right. Sometimes you play with too many attacking players and you lose control of the game. We had a few problems defensively because [Nemanja] Matic and [Paul] Pogba were a bit isolated in the centre of the park and, if you compensate that with more creation, that's a good risk. And, against Newcastle, it was good because we were not solid defensively but we were really strong in creation. Today, our creation was poor. The three players that played with Lukaku did not get the ball, we weren’t successful on the one against one. Marcus [Rashford] did not have a happy match at all. So we did not have that creation and could expect some defensive problems against a good team on the counter attack.”

I think his last couple of selections, with very attacking line ups are a response to some of the criticism he's been getting. Maybe the higher ups at the club have been persuading him to be more expansive? In any event, reading between the lines I think his comments above are akin to 'see, just playing more attackers doesn't make you more effective in an attacking sense, so shut the fuck up'
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Think you're right there, Ash. It's misleading counter criticism as well. Nobody wants him to dump a ton of attackig players on the pitch and let them to get on with it. We want balance, to be able to get the ball from back to front through midfield. That's his job, to set that up and make it happen.

And it's worrying if Pog and Matic struggled against Brighton at home ffs. It must have been bad if Jose acknowledged it. 2005 Mourinho would have crushed them in midfield. When are we going to have a top midfield? All that money spent by Fergie, Moyes, Gaal and Mourinho and it's still not happening
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

Peps style is brilliant when it works, but it is so dependent on a specific type of high level footballer... right now City have got an excellent team, but it's cost a lot of money to put together, and will need a lot of money to maintain... as long as the Arabs are willing to fund it, they'll be the best team in the PL... we'll have to spend just as heavy to catch them, but more importantly, we need a vision of how we're going to play... and we'll need to stick with that vision and see it through... if we don't want Mourinhio football, or if Mourinho isn't going to stay, then we're throwing money at a project that won't get built... we've spent the past 5 years building a squad, based on 3 different plans... that's just daft, and will never work...

Our squad is expensive, but a mismatch of ideas... that's it's biggest flaw...

Fuck knows if Mourinho will stick around even if we do back him with large investment... but eventually we have to stick to a long term plan of where we want to go as club... easy to blame Mourinho for what happens on the pitch, but the fact is, he's managing his way, to his vision... whatever's wrong with our football ultimately falls on Woodworm and the Glazers for me, because they either don't see, or just dispute the need for a DoF, who could oversee the development of our entire football structure regardless of what happens with the manager...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

"I think his last couple of selections, with very attacking line ups are a response to some of the criticism he's been getting. Maybe the higher ups at the club have been persuading him to be more expansive? In any event, reading between the lines I think his comments above are akin to 'see, just playing more attackers doesn't make you more effective in an attacking sense, so shut the fuck up'"

--------------------------------

And he's absolutely right... too many people are expecting him to not only play against his nature, but to do it with a flawed team... I think Mourinho knows exactly what he wants, but doesn't have the players for it yet, and until he does, he'll stick to 1-0 wins, and dull, ground out results...

Many won't like it, and claim he needs to spend too much money to have a winning team, but if you look around at what the top teams are spending, we're not exceptional... as good as City are this year, they needed to spend a ton this summer to get there... Pep didn't just make that happen for free...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
bman2
Legend

2 years ago

Among the big club managers, for me only Poch and Pep are currently performing well. For the most part, the clubs are positioned in the table where they “should” be in terms of transfer and salary expenses. Spurs are doing extremely well these days for their budget. City “should” be top, but they’re also top with style, scoring an unbelievable number of goals and hardly conceding at all either.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

Hard to score against a team you can't get the ball off of...
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

If it went purely on money spent not philosophy and coaching as well then Tottenham wouldn't have finished second last season, ahead of City and us, Leicester shouldn't have won the league the year before etc.

If we spent another 80m to equal City's spending we'd still play shite football. 80m is one player or two at best, which int enough to transform this team. It's a player on Lukaku's level n all, not a 150m + x factor player that we need.

Fact is Jose has never played football as good and intricate and dynamic as Pep, and he never will. That's not why you hire him. Shite football is part of the deal as most of us knew. That's why wanting Jose to replace Gaal was a bit daft as I and other sensible people pointed out at the time to great rational and sensible debate from Alf etc
Last edited by Sid on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

FFS...