vs West Ham

Forum for match day threads
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

Might even bother with MotD tonight... don't usually bother, but with only 2 games today, it should be extended highlights... and it's always good to see Shearer have to force some praise for United...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
FuB wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:Excellent first day.

THAT looked like a proper Jose side, arguably for the first time.

Lots to be pleased with, The win, the intent, the manner of our performance, the improvement brought about by our new additions and the quality by the older heads. Lukaku has some rough edges but his pace and directness will make us more dangerous. Pogba has magic in his boots and if his decision making is on point, he's a star. Miki needs to play centrally, Jones is a quality defender if he can stay fit and Matic was outstanding; a real asset. We were good to watch today and that sort of performance in that sort of game had been missing for a while.

We still need a player in the final third who can beat players with pace and open teams up. A Giggs, a Ronaldo, even a Nani. But as first days go, that'll do very, very nicely.
What about Griezmann for Christmas?
can't see him signing an extra year's extension in a big media show of loyalty and then leaving six months later
Why not? Coutinho signed a 5 year contract with Liverpool, and then tossed them a pissy transfer request less than 7 months later...
that's a fair point alf. you can't really count on a player's loyalty but he already had a deal till 2021 and then made a pretty big media show about his feelings of loyalty before signing an extension. i don't recall any massive media show over coutinho and, well, liverpool to barcelona is clearly a step up whereas it's hard to see united as a step up from atletico over the last few seasons. obviously money talks in all of these circumstances so i'm not saying it's a definite impossibility. it certainly seemed as if he'd had his head turned at the end of the last season anyway.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Might even bother with MotD tonight... don't usually bother, but with only 2 games today, it should be extended highlights... and it's always good to see Shearer have to force some praise for United...
Shearer's already tipped us for the title, though.
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

FuB wrote:

Lots to be pleased with, The win, the intent, the manner of our performance, the improvement brought about by our new additions and the quality by the older heads. Lukaku has some rough edges but his pace and directness will make us more dangerous. Pogba has magic in his boots and if his decision making is on point, he's a star. Miki needs to play centrally, Jones is a quality defender if he can stay fit and Matic was outstanding; a real asset. We were good to watch today and that sort of performance in that sort of game had been missing for a while.

We still need a player in the final third who can beat players with pace and open teams up. A Giggs, a Ronaldo, even a Nani. But as first days go, that'll do very, very nicely.
to be fair, ash, you already mentioned Mhiki. Isn't he a player in the final third that beat players with pace and open teams up. That he isn't doing so - and only did so sporadically last season - is something that needs to be addressed. maybe he's not quite right, maybe he's lacking confidence or feeling lack of confidence in him within this setup but i think this season will answer that once and for all. rashford also has that ability to beat players with pace... he just needs to learn when he's done enough.
He seems to be happier beating players in the middle of the pitch. I can't remember him facing up to a fullback out wide like Martial. More of a pick it up in midfield on the turn and drive at the defence kind of dribbler.
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

marlon wrote:
FuB wrote:

to be fair, ash, you already mentioned Mhiki. Isn't he a player in the final third that beat players with pace and open teams up. That he isn't doing so - and only did so sporadically last season - is something that needs to be addressed. maybe he's not quite right, maybe he's lacking confidence or feeling lack of confidence in him within this setup but i think this season will answer that once and for all. rashford also has that ability to beat players with pace... he just needs to learn when he's done enough.
He seems to be happier beating players in the middle of the pitch. I can't remember him facing up to a fullback out wide like Martial. More of a pick it up in midfield on the turn and drive at the defence kind of dribbler.
yes, hence ash saying he needs to play centrally - which i agree with. you're right to bring martial into the conversation though... ultimately, i think ash is sort of implying that none of these are are impressive enough despite all fitting the bill of a player that beats other players with pace. i'm not sure any of them have shown enough or been given enough of a chance to shine
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

Other than the new players, the big difference today was scoring first and early-ish and then continuing to go for it when we had the lead (although we wobbled a bit at 2-0). It's a lot easier to play with the lead - pretty much every team who wins the league has a knack (or a bit of luck) of scoring first, which separates them from otherwise equally good rivals.
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

FuB wrote: yes, hence ash saying he needs to play centrally - which i agree with. you're right to bring martial into the conversation though... ultimately, i think ash is sort of implying that none of these are are impressive enough despite all fitting the bill of a player that beats other players with pace. i'm not sure any of them have shown enough or been given enough of a chance to shine
Martial and Rashford are still so young. They're good enough to share the LW for the season (and rotate with Lukaku). Upgrading on the right where our threat is Valencia and Mata who drifts inside would be a bigger upgrade tbh. And while Griezmann would be great, he wouldn't solve that particular problem of pace and skill.
senna
Legend

2 years ago

marlon wrote:
FuB wrote: yes, hence ash saying he needs to play centrally - which i agree with. you're right to bring martial into the conversation though... ultimately, i think ash is sort of implying that none of these are are impressive enough despite all fitting the bill of a player that beats other players with pace. i'm not sure any of them have shown enough or been given enough of a chance to shine
Martial and Rashford are still so young. They're good enough to share the LW for the season (and rotate with Lukaku). Upgrading on the right where our threat is Valencia and Mata who drifts inside would be a bigger upgrade tbh. And while Griezmann would be great, he wouldn't solve that particular problem of pace and skill.
The problem is they are sharing it with Lingard.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

HARRY wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:

What about Griezmann for Christmas?
Yes please. New Ping G400 Driver, and then Griezmann. :D :D
I love my Burner, but I wouldn't mind their irons...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

2 years ago

Playing against Real Madrid last week was probably the ideal preparation. Playing against the best sets a standard and will have honed our players in terms of being sharp for yesterday