vs Cardiff City

Forum for match day threads
Twat
Reserves

5 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:I don't know...
We will likely only ever see Januzaj, Rooney, and Mata behind RvP late in a match when we're one goal down. If they couldn't be played together against Cardiff, who could they be played against? I know there were some mitigating factors: Carrick out with injury, Rooney and RvP just back in the side and not ready to play 90 minutes, but what side is so bad that Moyes would feel comfortable with those four playing in front of our current midfield and back four?
Suspect that front four is going to have to wait for next season when hopefully our central midfield won't have to consist of a young centre back and a middle aged left winger.
Pikey McScum
Star Man

5 years ago

Didn't see the game, haven't watched the highlights, but am reliably informed this was Smalling's best game of the season?
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
dozer
Legend

5 years ago

Twat wrote:
We will likely only ever see Januzaj, Rooney, and Mata behind RvP late in a match when we're one goal down. If they couldn't be played together against Cardiff, who could they be played against? I know there were some mitigating factors: Carrick out with injury, Rooney and RvP just back in the side and not ready to play 90 minutes, but what side is so bad that Moyes would feel comfortable with those four playing in front of our current midfield and back four?
Suspect that front four is going to have to wait for next season when hopefully our central midfield won't have to consist of a young centre back and a middle aged left winger.
Next season you'll see Mata, RVP and Adnan, with Rooney playing for Chelsea or Real.
Anantax
Legend

5 years ago

Pikey McScum wrote:Didn't see the game, haven't watched the highlights, but am reliably informed this was Smalling's best game of the season?
Hmm...i dont think do. We were lucky not to concede really. Smalling's best 90 is probably against Snderland tbf....
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

That was about as defensive a lineup as Moyes could put out, and, despite the clean sheet, the defending wasn't very good. I'm not sure it will improve that much when Carrick is on instead of Giggs. If RvP, Rooney, and Mata play together, one of those defensive wingers will not, so any improvement Carrick brings will probably be balanced out.

On offense, Mata wasn't the key that unlocked Cardiff's defense; it was getting half a season's worth of output from Young in one match that made the difference. Not that Mata wasn't good, he was, and, in time, will surely develop an understanding with Rooney and RvP, but our best XI still gets smashed by City, probably Cheatsea, and any of the top sides in Europe.

Should we really be playing our best XI vs. Cardiff at home? If we were under Fergie, playing the likes of Young against the worst team in the league would've been fairly normal rotation. With the way things are going now, it was an opportunity missed to build on the optimism that came with the Mata signing. When you've got a big squad though, you generally don't play all your best forwards against the worst teams.

Young is not a good defensive winger. Even Kagawa and Januzaj do more than him. Valencia's errors have cost us more defensively (even when playing as a winger) than any other winger at United this season, although he's involved more than the rest. We wouldn't lose much defensively taking either out.

Not sure why you're criticising the defending? They created one chance, when they got behind Rafael and they didn't even get a shot from it. 1 shot on target (from distance) the whole game. We spent a lot of time defending, because the midfield wasn't dominating, but the defending wasn't bad.
RobDiablo
Legend

5 years ago

marlon wrote:Should we really be playing our best XI vs. Cardiff at home?
This season, yeah. It would be nice to have a match out of reach for the opposition by halftime for a change.
marlon wrote:Not sure why you're criticising the defending? They created one chance, when they got behind Rafael and they didn't even get a shot from it. 1 shot on target (from distance) the whole game...
You obviously missed Kim's shot from inside the box; he could have put it anywhere, but shot straight at de Gea. 2-1 is a scoreline that would more accurately have described the match, and 2-2 was not beyond the realm of possibility. It required Cardiff to be absolutely woeful at creating chances to keep a clean sheet.
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

The one from a corner? Not sure any team plays every game without conceding a chance or two. Individual errors have cost us (what do you expect with one of the most unsettled back lines in the league), but the attack is much more concerning. Relies entirely on van Persie and Rooney creating and finishing their own chances and they're not creating enough.
RobDiablo
Legend

5 years ago

marlon wrote:The one from a corner? Not sure any team plays every game without conceding a chance or two. Individual errors have cost us (what do you expect with one of the most unsettled back lines in the league), but the attack is much more concerning. Relies entirely on van Persie and Rooney creating and finishing their own chances and they're not creating enough.
I was merely pointing out that your stats were inaccurate. Otherwise, I don't think we are that far apart in our assessments regarding this side. I don't believe that Smalling and Evans played badly, but I wasn't impressed by the defending as a whole. That defensive midfield lineup did not do much to shield the back four.

Have to agree with you about the attack, but that was pretty much my point in the original post. It wasn't great saves and near misses that kept United from scoring more, it was a lack of incision in the final third. We've bought a world class player, but in the wrong position. The side is not markedly better than it was, and will still get battered by the better sides at home and in Europe.
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

Mostly agree, but you can't judge United without Rooney. He's the only player we have who can (partly) compensate for our midfield. Really hard to judge Smalling-Evans, because they've played well almost every time, but they've only faced a good team (Liverpool) once and that was in the league cup.