vs Norwich

Forum for match day threads
madredmonkey
Legend

3 years ago

That was a win , but agony to watch.
football at its most painful.
LEFT THE SITE SADLY GOT BORED OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS, NOT WHAT IT USTED TO BE, GOODBYE TO THE FELLOW MEMBERS.
JUST NEED SOMETHING NEW.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:Right Laz I know you're going to blow your top if I mention him again - and I accept the entire team is being shit, Gaal's shite etc

But watch Rooney. He walks. He stays tight to their centreback. He'll maybe run in behind 3 times this half. But mostly he's sideways shuffling. No movement, no danger, no pace. He might as well be on his holidays
Missed the game... couldn't be arsed... a day out with my girl beats United anyway, but when they're not even worth watching, I'm not even arsed to keep an eye on the score... anyway... just got home, reading the posts, and saw this... not looking to pick a fight Sid, but what you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what Van Gall said he wanted from Rooney... his job was to "occupy the centrebacks"...

No?
Because that's all he's good for up front these days?
Haha... of course... nothing at all to do with how Van Gall uses him...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ville.html

"Neville spoke of how he could barely recognise Rooney's style of play compared to the player he spent years playing alongside at United and coaching in his role with the England national team.

'Having played with Wayne Rooney for 3 or 4 years, having worked with him with England for three or four years, he's a street football player, he can chase the ball, wants to get involved, wants to get everywhere on the pitch,' Neville said.

'I think Louis van Gaal must have him on a lead in training, (saying) "that's not your position, that's not what you're there to do". He runs back up straight in between Manchester City's two centre backs and he's in position. Now, that is a big achievement by Louis van Gaal, trust me."
There might be something in it. But I along with everybody else who is doing the same thing, is right to question whether you can be a "steet footballer" who wants to be everywhere like Nev says, when you've been a pro at the top level for 13, going on 14 years. His mate and neighbour would never admit that though.

I agree with what Stuart Pearce said during the game, he said Rooney looks like a player whose been around for a long time, who is playing on a sunny day in may, who knows the season is coming to an end and a big international tournament is coming up where a lot is expected of him, so he's saving himself

Because tbf today he was a lot worse today than in previous games in terms of movement, threat, effort even. He's done that role better in the past
Mumford
First Teamer

3 years ago

Watched this dire shit and honestly can't see things changing for next season.

Watched Leicester on MOTD with the smug Lineker, but when you watch how those guys play, a specualtive ball into the box, going nowhere, and Vardy appears, and it's 1-0, we used to play like that, it seems now that none of our players are willing to bust a gut for the goal, or the team.

Can't see Woodward being given a load more cash to put things right, but there are several players in the suad who shouldn't be there next season, unless LVG goes.

Wanting City to win and us to lose the next two seems wrong, but I oh so want it to happen because it could mean the end of LVG, especially if Palace put one over us in the cup.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
Robbo
Legend

3 years ago

Mumford wrote:Watched this dire shit and honestly can't see things changing for next season.

Watched Leicester on MOTD with the smug Lineker, but when you watch how those guys play, a specualtive ball into the box, going nowhere, and Vardy appears, and it's 1-0, we used to play like that, it seems now that none of our players are willing to bust a gut for the goal, or the team.

Can't see Woodward being given a load more cash to put things right, but there are several players in the suad who shouldn't be there next season, unless LVG goes.

Wanting City to win and us to lose the next two seems wrong, but I oh so want it to happen because it could mean the end of LVG, especially if Palace put one over us in the cup.
The thing is the amount of United fans wanting this to happen, never experienced this before in all my years supporting United.
-----------------------------------------------------
urboystook1hellofabeating
First Teamer

3 years ago

Robbo wrote:
Mumford wrote:Watched this dire shit and honestly can't see things changing for next season.

The thing is the amount of United fans wanting this to happen, never experienced this before in all my years supporting United.
It's a choice between us being in the CL next season, or Guardiola - regardless of whether Van Gaal stays or not.
I'd much rather see us there & Pep in the UEFA Cup!
I'm still not sure if Mourinho is the right man to take over - but obviously I have doubts regarding Van Gaal. The only way 'Laugh-A-Minute-Louis' (see his sex ref on Microphone Head interview) will succeed if he stays is by the players ignoring his 2nd & 3rd phase instructions. Perhaps Wayne could organise that after winning Euro 2016...??!!!!
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:Right Laz I know you're going to blow your top if I mention him again - and I accept the entire team is being shit, Gaal's shite etc

But watch Rooney. He walks. He stays tight to their centreback. He'll maybe run in behind 3 times this half. But mostly he's sideways shuffling. No movement, no danger, no pace. He might as well be on his holidays
Missed the game... couldn't be arsed... a day out with my girl beats United anyway, but when they're not even worth watching, I'm not even arsed to keep an eye on the score... anyway... just got home, reading the posts, and saw this... not looking to pick a fight Sid, but what you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what Van Gall said he wanted from Rooney... his job was to "occupy the centrebacks"...

No?
Because that's all he's good for up front these days?
Haha... of course... nothing at all to do with how Van Gall uses him...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ville.html

"Neville spoke of how he could barely recognise Rooney's style of play compared to the player he spent years playing alongside at United and coaching in his role with the England national team.

'Having played with Wayne Rooney for 3 or 4 years, having worked with him with England for three or four years, he's a street football player, he can chase the ball, wants to get involved, wants to get everywhere on the pitch,' Neville said.

'I think Louis van Gaal must have him on a lead in training, (saying) "that's not your position, that's not what you're there to do". He runs back up straight in between Manchester City's two centre backs and he's in position. Now, that is a big achievement by Louis van Gaal, trust me."
There might be something in it. But I along with everybody else who is doing the same thing, is right to question whether you can be a "steet footballer" who wants to be everywhere like Nev says, when you've been a pro at the top level for 13, going on 14 years. His mate and neighbour would never admit that though.

I agree with what Stuart Pearce said during the game, he said Rooney looks like a player whose been around for a long time, who is playing on a sunny day in may, who knows the season is coming to an end and a big international tournament is coming up where a lot is expected of him, so he's saving himself

Because tbf today he was a lot worse today than in previous games in terms of movement, threat, effort even. He's done that role better in the past
Fair enough... but you could say the same thing for most of the team, except for the kids, who Louis has brought in who are obviously playing with the motivation of trying to prove themselves...

But if that's the best Looey's got... piss poor man management of the senior pros... players who should be carrying the team, but have lost interest, and so he relies on kids to play with the fire that he can't get from anyone else... ???

Rooney looks done... he's still got the odd moment of class in him, but the fire seems gone... that might well be his lot... but it's not about his age, because he's not really that old yet... but I look around the whole team, and the only players who seem genuinely arsed are the kids... Looey likes to make out like that's his doing... it's not... the kids are motivated by their own ambition to progress, and to get the big pay rise... it says a lot about Looey that he can't get the same from established players who look like they're just marking time now... even Depay looks like he's lost interest, and it's his first year... and apparently Van Gall humiliated Januzaj yesterday, getting him ready to come on, then sitting him down, twice!

And the smug fuck had the cheek to declare he was a "happy manager" after the game... where every article I've read said it was one of our worst games of the season...

OUT!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
pint vulger
Legend

3 years ago

A very very poor game (both teams ,Norwich were awful)but nothing different that what I experienced under SAF ,although the difference we were going for title.
Depay was just terrible,Mata and Lingard just dont get that.Back four were ok v a toothless Norwich,Rooney did great for the goal but other than that 'on the beach' Herrera ,sorry not for me.
In summary the board, the management team ,the players should hang their heads in shame when they glance at the table,Leicester 17 points in front,Unbelievable.
Do the right thing Louis .
Steggo
Legend

3 years ago

There are two things that come to mind should Van Gaal stay. The first is-how is he going to improve on anything that has gone before.There is only one season left for him and I honestly can't see how things will improve. I think he has conned Woodworm into believing that his 'philosophy' will be inherent in the club and that it will be the solid foundation on which the club can build for the next decade.And with such a deeply seated basis for a club,and because the system is in place the next manager (Giggs) needs no experience in order to operate it.

Thus we come onto the second question.Which top club would hand over the managers role to someone totally inexperienced?Its like asking the lollipop person to become head teacher because they know the school and pupils so well.If Giggs had any balls he would have left after Moyes and got experience in one of the lower divisions.And what happens if Giggs is a complete disaster? We are back to square one.

The 'philosophy' has been a complete waste of time. Its easy now,but I'll make the comparison anyway. Leicester City play a very simple system,but its a system that plays to the players strengths whereas Van Gaals system seems to be the opposite,the system is rigid and the players fit into that.As for the 'holy grail' of possession, you only have to contrast the two teams this season.

One of the key ingredients of watching football is excitement.When was the last time any of us got excited about a United game?And that is fundamentally wrong.Yesterday was a prime example.

Must have a say on Pearces comments.So,what we have is the captain of England taking it easy in a game that is vital to Uniteds season.That is a disgrace on so many levels.I would have thought Rooney would want to impress Woy as his place must be in some danger. Unless he has the same contract with England as he does with United.........?
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Rooney has to save himself for the Euros because his legs aren't what they used to be. Second half against Everton he completely disappeared. So in the game after that one he made adjustments. He didn't run into open space, he played long balls instead. He has to manage his stamina now. If he gives it all in one game, he'll drop off early in the next one.

It's not prioritising England over United for me, it's doing what he has to do.

And Alf you mention how he is only 30 but it's redundant because he's been a pro way before most other 30 year olds. And not just a pro but a key player that managers have looked to. And unlike Giggs he hasn't looked after himself. He smokes, drinks and if you watch footage of him when he was young, he was carrying a lot of extra weight.

I agree that Gaal's man management of older players can be piss poor. But it's speculation to say the senior players lack motivation. I think that would be shocking for professionals like Carrick and Rooney to be unmotivated. An instant sackable offence.
Steggo
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Rooney has to save himself for the Euros because his legs aren't what they used to be. Second half against Everton he completely disappeared. So in the game after that one he made adjustments. He didn't run into open space, he played long balls instead. He has to manage his stamina now. If he gives it all in one game, he'll drop off early in the next one.

It's not prioritising England over United for me, it's doing what he has to do.
Not good enough,Sid.He is employed by United,not England and it really does seem he is prioritising England over United. If his legs 'aren't what they used to be' and he is 'doing what he has to do' then he needs to question himself as a professional.First step-not going to the Euros.He should take a tip from the many other professionals who gave up international football to lengthen their club careers. With Rooney though its 'cake and eat it'. Its not as if he has influenced an international tournament,ever.