Americans crash FIFA party

Non-United football chat
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

Holy shit, the Americans just had the Swiss arrest a big bunch of FIFA crooks on corruption and bribery charges:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sport ... .html?_r=0
http://www.theguardian.com/football/liv ... arges-live

I'm looking forward to some of these rats turning on their friends, maybe they'll even get to Blatta the Hulk eventually. I wonder if it could affect the vote for the presidency on Friday?

It looks like another case of ridiculous jurisdictional overreach, but to nail these scumbags, I'm all in favour!
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

I was just about to start this thread...

"It looks like another case of ridiculous jurisdictional overreach"

I don't think so Bernie... the Americans have had the FBI working on bringing down FIFA for years... the US hates how powerful football is around the world, as it stifles their attempts to promote their own sports... I don't know if the Americans are after football just out of spite, or if they've just given up trying to fight the monster, and are now trying to get more involved, to get more of the action... either way, they've gone to great lengths this time... even had their own rep, Chuck Blazer working with the FBI undercover...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32895048

Somehow I doubt it will bring down Blatter though... it seems to me that his entire agenda is all about the power of the job... he's obviously aware of the corruption, and might even find ways to benefit from playing one crook against another... but I think he's always managed to protect himself, and not get personally involved... for Blatter, it's not about money... it's about votes... he just wants to be the president of FIFA, end of... and he's always been very good at acting like the champion for the underdog FAs... and there a lot more of them, willing to back him, than there are powerful FAs, who would like to bring him down...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

Maybe, but the US criminal justice system is oriented around negotiating plea bargains, and the feds in New York are particularly adept at unravelling conspiracies by making the smaller fish turn on their bosses. And if you're a federal prosecutor in New York you have major political ambitions: dragging Blatter's hauling fat arse into court like a prize whale will write your ticket nicely. These FIFA clowns are used to living it up 5 star hotels, they're far from hardened criminals. I'm sure most of them would sell out their own mothers to avoid jail time and the seizure of all their assets.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

bman2 wrote:Maybe, but the US criminal justice system is oriented around negotiating plea bargains, and the feds in New York are particularly adept at unravelling conspiracies by making the smaller fish turn on their bosses. And if you're a federal prosecutor in New York you have major political ambitions: dragging Blatter's hauling fat arse into court like a prize whale will write your ticket nicely. These FIFA clowns are used to living it up 5 star hotels, they're far from hardened criminals. I'm sure most of them would sell out their own mothers to avoid jail time and the seizure of all their assets.
I agree 100%, but I'm not sure there's anything to hang on Blatter... nothing criminal anyway... I don't think this investigation will prove anything we don't already know... Blatter is the king of pigs, face buried in the FIFA junket swill bucket, sucking it up like there's no seconds... but in the end, all that matters is that he gets enough votes... that's the way FIFA works, all the knobs that vote, are pigs as well... Blatter looks after them, they'll look after him...

It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath... still, if this investigation turns over enough filth, it might lead to the whole FIFA system being overhauled... and that, might actually make a difference...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Spudiator
Star Man

4 years ago

Blatter won't be touched in all this. I don't doubt for a second that he's just as corrupt as the rest of these fuckers, but evidently he's a lot better at covering his tracks than the rest are.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Nah Im with the yanks on this one, from what I gather, their own sports are better run and I don't think they would be naive enough to think that if they curtailed FIFA and soccer a bit in general, we'd all start watching NFL, their college football is bigger in attendances than some half decent Euro leagues!

Plus the MLS is growing, I was watching some team, can't remember who play la galaxy at their home ground, ie la were away, and their attendance was something like 40,000,

Orlando drew 1-1 with that team Lampards going to who are bottom of the league and got over 62,000!

Fuck Fifa and their sand, let's kill all the Indians and Nepalese and any other poor cunt we've managed to rope into building this shite, World Cup.

Hope Qatar lose their World Cup and all the corruption and forced labour is exposed big big time.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

4 years ago

Take 'em down. Time for a new broom, clean sweep. Corrupt fuckers.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Bring back safe standing, beer on the terraces and singing like fuck and loads of banter, I know they have that in other leagues and its an FA/prem thing, but maybe in my heart of hearts and wildest dreams, FIFA get absolutely battered then we can clear out the dinosaurs at the FA next, viva ze revolution!
Spudiator
Star Man

4 years ago

Call me a cynic, but I'm not convinced this'll change a fucking thing. Even if this did somehow result in a total clearout at FIFA, even including Blatter, all the corrupt cunts would just be replaced eventually with a different bunch of corrupt cunts. It's like the political parties, doesn't matter what colour rosettes they're wearing, they're all just as self-serving and bent as each other.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Spudiator wrote:Call me a cynic, but I'm not convinced this'll change a fucking thing. Even if this did somehow result in a total clearout at FIFA, even including Blatter, all the corrupt cunts would just be replaced eventually with a different bunch of corrupt cunts. It's like the political parties, doesn't matter what colour rosettes they're wearing, they're all just as self-serving and bent as each other.

You are a cynic