Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
2 months ago
Psg had the easiest run in for champs league final for so many years and they fucked it up.
Atlanta, rbl, Lyon etc... I think this defeat could get their manager sacked.
Cannot see that happening. Second best manager lost to the best manager. Simple.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

Bayern are just a better team. Great players, proper balance, brilliant coaching.

I mean, Serge Gnabry couldn't get a game on loan under Pulis at West Brom!!
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Bayern are just a better team. Great players, proper balance, brilliant coaching.

I read a bit of an article earlier (can't find it now) that said Bayern are an example of what separates the rich clubs in this era: well run. PSG have just had money thrown at them. 200m on Neymar, 160m on Mbappe. And then the rest. But they're not as balanced as Bayern, or as good a team. The same is true of us. We've thrown money at it since Fergie left but still been shite.

Having world class players isn't enough right now. You have to be well run too.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago

I read a bit of an article earlier (can't find it now) that said Bayern are an example of what separates the rich clubs in this era: well run. PSG have just had money thrown at them. 200m on Neymar, 160m on Mbappe. And then the rest. But they're not as balanced as Bayern, or as good a team. The same is true of us. We've thrown money at it since Fergie left but still been shite.

Indeed, and quite right too.

It’s what I don’t get about the Glazers. Yes, they’re money grabbing leeches who don’t give a fuck about football, or winning. But get the top of the club right - a DOF and proper recruitment setup, and you actually increase your chance of success whilst reducing your costs and increasing your revenue. I don’t get it.

When was the last time we signed a quality player, relatively under the radar, for a price that was shown to be relatively good value? I.e. a well scouted, well negotiated transfer who worked out? De Gea? Hernandez? Possibly Martial, although he wasn’t exactly cheap. Our scouting and recruitment setup is bollocks. If I were the Glazers, its the first thing I’d do. Fence off Woodworm to sort the commercial deals, bring in a proven DOF. I really don’t fucking get it.
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago

Indeed, and quite right too.

It’s what I don’t get about the Glazers. Yes, they’re money grabbing leeches who don’t give a fuck about football, or winning. But get the top of the club right - a DOF and proper recruitment setup, and you actually increase your chance of success whilst reducing your costs and increasing your revenue. I don’t get it.

When was the last time we signed a quality player, relatively under the radar, for a price that was shown to be relatively good value? I.e. a well scouted, well negotiated transfer who worked out? De Gea? Hernandez? Possibly Martial, although he wasn’t exactly cheap. Our scouting and recruitment setup is bollocks. If I were the Glazers, its the first thing I’d do. Fence off Woodworm to sort the commercial deals, bring in a proven DOF. I really don’t fucking get it.
this just comes down to a boringly conservative risk analysis. why risk the extra expenditure on getting the right, expensive people/structure when you can do just enough for a good enough, guaranteed return?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Yeah you’re absolutely right. The problem with the Glazers is not so much the financial aspect but their incompetence. We were ok when Gill and Ferguson just keep running the place, though they obviously had less money available than they should have had. But things totally fell apart when they left. And the scale of the incompetence is made very clear when you realise that the glazers actually finally opened the coffers when Ferguson and gill left: we spent a shitload, and pissed almost all of it away.

Now we’ve the worst of both worlds: a return to greater financial caution combined with incompetence. City and Chelsea are spending big to go out and win the league and CL in the next season. We’re doing nothing.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Agreed. It is dismal...and yet so easy to fix.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Anybody watching Leeds v Liverpool?

Leeds are gonna beat some top teams this season. Probably spank a few as well.

We're interested in one of their CBs, the one that's class on the ball
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago

They’ll beat us this season, at least once.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

They’ll beat us this season, at least once.
Yeah that's my feeling too. They've waited 16 years to play us in the Prem. But Bielsa's football is just class - while the players aren't knackered like. We'll see what Ole's made of.