The Euros

Non-United football chat
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

swampash wrote:
Sid wrote:But third world also includes countries with a colonial past from africa, asia, latin america. And now it is entirely used in that context.
Yes, like a lot of things it's been misappropriated. But it wasn't originally meant to be a pejorative term.
Exactly. It was first coined by a French demographer/economist, Afred Sauvey, in a 1953 article in which he defined the Third World countries as those with very high birth rates (essentially Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Asia). "Third World" was a reference to the "Third Estate" of pre-revolutionary France -- i.e. long-oppressed masses who were on the verge of revolution.

The term was subsequently picked up and popularised by political elites in the developing/postcolonial world, with that same positive revolutionary connotation in mind. Their goal was to create a new, better kind of society than those seen in the industrialised Northern Hemisphere, which had given rise to imperialism, two world wars, and the nuclear arms race.

So the original meaning is more like "society version 3.0" than "third rate".
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

There's a remarkable list of players not included in the French squad: Benzema, Fekir, Ben Arfa, Lacazette, Varane, Zouma etc. I know a couple of those are injured or just back from a long injury, but it seems a bit strange to me.
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

bman2 wrote:
swampash wrote:
Sid wrote:But third world also includes countries with a colonial past from africa, asia, latin america. And now it is entirely used in that context.
Yes, like a lot of things it's been misappropriated. But it wasn't originally meant to be a pejorative term.
Exactly. It was first coined by a French demographer/economist, Afred Sauvey, in a 1953 article in which he defined the Third World countries as those with very high birth rates (essentially Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Asia). "Third World" was a reference to the "Third Estate" of pre-revolutionary France -- i.e. long-oppressed masses who were on the verge of revolution.

The term was subsequently picked up and popularised by political elites in the developing/postcolonial world, with that same positive revolutionary connotation in mind. Their goal was to create a new, better kind of society than those seen in the industrialised Northern Hemisphere, which had given rise to imperialism, two world wars, and the nuclear arms race.

Nice one bman. On the money again.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Film wasn't considered a proper enough subject to study on its own so it has to be paired with a proper degree that the Daily Mail approve of, even though films now are considered vital historical documents and the best media platform to bring history and stories to life

I was too busy making music to learn a lot though tbf. You're only in 10 hours a week and you're given almost enough money to live on. You can't turn that down. 4 years oht of work? Fuck yeah
were you studying film from a perspective of making music for film then?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

So then football aye........
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

...oh yeah, football.
England team doesn't look like a tournament winning one to me.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
bman2
Legend

3 years ago

Nah. Hard to see past Germany, France, and Spain. No team looks complete though: Germany and Spain don't really have proper strikers, for example. On paper, Belgium might actually have the most complete team. De Bruyne and Hazard behind Lukaku looks very dangerous, in theory.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

bman2 wrote:
swampash wrote:

Nice one. It's like a lot of derogatory terms, some were considered acceptable at the time, then they come to mean something else.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

FuB wrote:
Sid wrote:Film wasn't considered a proper enough subject to study on its own so it has to be paired with a proper degree that the Daily Mail approve of, even though films now are considered vital historical documents and the best media platform to bring history and stories to life

I was too busy making music to learn a lot though tbf. You're only in 10 hours a week and you're given almost enough money to live on. You can't turn that down. 4 years oht of work? Fuck yeah
were you studying film from a perspective of making music for film then?
Nope. I studied film and history so I could get time and money in order to carry on making music outside of education. It's a good way of dodging work for 3 or 4 years. I'm not keen on studying music properly, then writing tunes. You learn more from playing in bands and listening to good bands then you do in a classroom. Ideas and creativity make a good band, a good song, not just technique and ability which is what schooling teaches you. Most music in higher education is classical as well. It's very bourgeoise and fucking dry. Some of them fucking saps don't have anything interesting to say, let alone to express through an instrument.
Steggo
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Most music in higher education is classical as well. It's very bourgeoise and fucking dry. Some of them fucking saps don't have anything interesting to say, let alone to express through an instrument.
That is quite a moronic statement from somebody who supposedly loves music.Classical music is only 'bourgeoise and fucking dry' because you,as an individual,let it be so. I suppose that's your Marxist leanings showing through.Try some of Beethoven's violin or piano concertos and listen to them with the ear of a musician - not as you think you should listen to them. If you still think there is no magic then there is no hope for you.Classical music can lift and enlighten your soul.

As for the 'fucking saps'-give them a try,engage them in conversation about the music you love. They may surprise you.