Hello, and an apology

The original Den of Iniquity
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 25725
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

It is a grim looking forum though. If Ed can just find time inbetween his international arms dealing to tart it up a bit with some colour I would be grateful
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 25725
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Colour is good though......
Laz are you high?
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 16181
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Sid wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Colour is good though......
Laz are you high?
Usually...... what's the point otherwise, it's mostly medical......
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
brianofnazarethffs
Legend
Posts: 4711
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Listen, this place needs a shake up. I've spoken with Ed via Twitter and asked him to promote us via the social media sites to attract new members.

He's keen to hear ideas on how we can link this forum to his Twitter/Facebook etc and I was thinking that the match day threads are normally the busiest ones so maybe a shout out for that on the actual match day?

Any suggestions.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...


Rant's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:Listen, this place needs a shake up. I've spoken with Ed via Twitter and asked him to promote us via the social media sites to attract new members.

He's keen to hear ideas on how we can link this forum to his Twitter/Facebook etc and I was thinking that the match day threads are normally the busiest ones so maybe a shout out for that on the actual match day?

Any suggestions.
People who use twitter and facebook are very difficult to covert to forums, it's been proven.

Idon't think phpBB has a plugin that will allow it to connect to the Facebook or Twitter API,

Suggestions :

The forum needs it's own TLD, being a subdomain makes it diffcult to promote and index.

Move away from phpBB to Xenforo, Xenforo is better for SEO. ( I have a spare licence)

Change the colour scheme, this one is not very "United"

Alter the front page to make the different forums easier to locate and more accessible

You need static content, that is stuff that dosen't change, Forums are a nightmare for search engines because the content is changing so quickly, by the time it's indexed it's out of date, so you need static content to allow search engines like Google to index you.
Static content has to be well written and reliable.

Content needs to be structured with built in links, you also need to build links to and from other reputable football sites and forums.

Finally

The forum has to be friendly, banter is fine, but slagging each other off is a no no, there is no better way to put people off joining.

It's hard work and would need about 20 posters, posting regularly to climb the organic search pages.

I can offer :

Xenforo software
A TLD (Top Level Domain)
Expertise in SEO and Forum administration
Commitment to get the Forum running

Why :

Because I'm a United fan .. born and bred

I've been lurking for a long time, and despite the slagging off, you guys are passionate about the club, and you know your stuff

I reckon together, we can get a great forum up and running, ready to start promoting in force for next season. ( yes it takes that long)

it can al be linked to United Rants to maintain the indentity, or it can be a separate entity..... your choice
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13448
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Mumford wrote:
brianofnazarethffs wrote:Listen, this place needs a shake up. I've spoken with Ed via Twitter and asked him to promote us via the social media sites to attract new members.

He's keen to hear ideas on how we can link this forum to his Twitter/Facebook etc and I was thinking that the match day threads are normally the busiest ones so maybe a shout out for that on the actual match day?

Any suggestions.
People who use twitter and facebook are very difficult to covert to forums, it's been proven.

Idon't think phpBB has a plugin that will allow it to connect to the Facebook or Twitter API,

Suggestions :

The forum needs it's own TLD, being a subdomain makes it diffcult to promote and index.

Move away from phpBB to Xenforo, Xenforo is better for SEO. ( I have a spare licence)

Change the colour scheme, this one is not very "United"

Alter the front page to make the different forums easier to locate and more accessible

You need static content, that is stuff that dosen't change, Forums are a nightmare for search engines because the content is changing so quickly, by the time it's indexed it's out of date, so you need static content to allow search engines like Google to index you.
Static content has to be well written and reliable.

Content needs to be structured with built in links, you also need to build links to and from other reputable football sites and forums.

Finally

The forum has to be friendly, banter is fine, but slagging each other off is a no no, there is no better way to put people off joining.

It's hard work and would need about 20 posters, posting regularly to climb the organic search pages.

I can offer :

Xenforo software
A TLD (Top Level Domain)
Expertise in SEO and Forum administration
Commitment to get the Forum running

Why :

Because I'm a United fan .. born and bred

I've been lurking for a long time, and despite the slagging off, you guys are passionate about the club, and you know your stuff

I reckon together, we can get a great forum up and running, ready to start promoting in force for next season. ( yes it takes that long)

it can al be linked to United Rants to maintain the indentity, or it can be a separate entity..... your choice
Pal... you obviously know what you're talking about regarding forums, and such... but you just as obviously know fuck all about this forum...

"Rant", has been through 3 or 4 renditions, but for the most part it's had the same core members who've been "Ranting" here for over 10 fuckin years... they come HERE, because they don't want the phony, "we're all good Redz, let's all be good friends too" crap, that you get at all the other, "well behaved" shit holes...

"Slagging each other off is a big part of what we do... it goes over the top once in a while, and it probably scares away more than it attracts... but change it, and you'll lose most of the group who made it what it is... ask anyone who's been here from the early days, and they'll tell you, we've already mellowed a fuck of a lot... you think it's bad now??? you should have seen this place 7/8 years ago...

To be honest, I think it's pretentious as fuck of you to come in here, after what? 8 fuckin posts??? and tell people here that, "together, we can get a great forum up and running"... come on Mate... you've got a bit of cheek... don't you think?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:Sounds exciting Mumsy, Mumfy, Mumfo, (I'll get there in the end). But there are some "choice" Ranters who don't know anything else or know of anywhere else. Rant has fast become the Amish society of United forums. The vast majority of us are trapped here because Red Caf's thinks United were born on May 26th 1999, and Red Ish is all about "Who's the biggest Red".

I'll admit it, I'm scared of change.

I'm scared Mumsy. :-s

Dosen't have to change the members, doesn't have to change how it views United.

However if you want to attract more like minded members, you need to up the game a little, put yourselves out there.

FWIW, I was and Admin on another United forum.. then it went all PC, I hated it.. so I left

I've been on the Cafe and lots of others, but they too are a bit PC, I'm looking for a forum that is the same as getting round the table in the pub, banter is fine, slagging off is ok to an extent, just not the personal stuff.


Rants are great, we need to get things out there, and ranting expresses how we feel, my view is, if you don't have a rant now and again you are not really passionate about this club.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
User avatar
Mumford
First Teamer
Posts: 459
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Earth sometimes

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Mumford wrote:
brianofnazarethffs wrote:Listen, this place needs a shake up. I've spoken with Ed via Twitter and asked him to promote us via the social media sites to attract new members.

He's keen to hear ideas on how we can link this forum to his Twitter/Facebook etc and I was thinking that the match day threads are normally the busiest ones so maybe a shout out for that on the actual match day?

Any suggestions.
People who use twitter and facebook are very difficult to covert to forums, it's been proven.

Idon't think phpBB has a plugin that will allow it to connect to the Facebook or Twitter API,

Suggestions :

The forum needs it's own TLD, being a subdomain makes it diffcult to promote and index.

Move away from phpBB to Xenforo, Xenforo is better for SEO. ( I have a spare licence)

Change the colour scheme, this one is not very "United"

Alter the front page to make the different forums easier to locate and more accessible

You need static content, that is stuff that dosen't change, Forums are a nightmare for search engines because the content is changing so quickly, by the time it's indexed it's out of date, so you need static content to allow search engines like Google to index you.
Static content has to be well written and reliable.

Content needs to be structured with built in links, you also need to build links to and from other reputable football sites and forums.

Finally

The forum has to be friendly, banter is fine, but slagging each other off is a no no, there is no better way to put people off joining.

It's hard work and would need about 20 posters, posting regularly to climb the organic search pages.

I can offer :

Xenforo software
A TLD (Top Level Domain)
Expertise in SEO and Forum administration
Commitment to get the Forum running

Why :

Because I'm a United fan .. born and bred

I've been lurking for a long time, and despite the slagging off, you guys are passionate about the club, and you know your stuff

I reckon together, we can get a great forum up and running, ready to start promoting in force for next season. ( yes it takes that long)

it can al be linked to United Rants to maintain the indentity, or it can be a separate entity..... your choice
Pal... you obviously know what you're talking about regarding forums, and such... but you just as obviously know fuck all about this forum...

"Rant", has been through 3 or 4 renditions, but for the most part it's had the same core members who've been "Ranting" here for over 10 fuckin years... they come HERE, because they don't want the phony, "we're all good Redz, let's all be good friends too" crap, that you get at all the other, "well behaved" shit holes...

"Slagging each other off is a big part of what we do... it goes over the top once in a while, and it probably scares away more than it attracts... but change it, and you'll lose most of the group who made it what it is... ask anyone who's been here from the early days, and they'll tell you, we've already mellowed a fuck of a lot... you think it's bad now??? you should have seen this place 7/8 years ago...

To be honest, I think it's pretentious as fuck of you to come in here, after what? 8 fuckin posts??? and tell people here that, "together, we can get a great forum up and running"... come on Mate... you've got a bit of cheek... don't you think?
The amount of posts you have doesn't mean you are a better member than someone else.

8 posts or 1, suggestions were asked for, I put my two pennorth in, which is a bit more than you have ?

See my other posts about banter and slagging off, when it comes down to it I can be a nightmare,

But if you want to attract new members, then you have to look at whats right and whats wrong, thats all I'm saying.


As for me knowing fuck all about this forum... forums are forums, people join, people go....personally I hate the long goodbyes, if you are going go.

If you don't want the help ... for free... then I'll fuck off...but I've been lurking here for while... and I like the way this place feels... I might just want to hang around....and try to improve it a little
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13448
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Mumford wrote:[

The amount of posts you have doesn't mean you are a better member than someone else.

8 posts or 1, suggestions were asked for, I put my two pennorth in, which is a bit more than you have ?

See my other posts about banter and slagging off, when it comes down to it I can be a nightmare,

But if you want to attract new members, then you have to look at whats right and whats wrong, thats all I'm saying.


As for me knowing fuck all about this forum... forums are forums, people join, people go....personally I hate the long goodbyes, if you are going go.

If you don't want the help ... for free... then I'll fuck off...but I've been lurking here for while... and I like the way this place feels... I might just want to hang around....and try to improve it a little
Haha... you want some suggestions? ok... I agree that Zebs could be a Mod, and some colour would be nice, and the "wankin smiley" is a must... other than that, I'm fine with the way it is... if I wasn't, I wouldn't come here... for fuck sake, it's a football forum, where we talk a lot of shit, and bitch about Rooney, Van Gall, shitty refs, and David Cameron... we're not trying to save the planet...

I gave you your due, regarding your obvious knowledge about "forum tech"... but where has anyone said the forum needs major change?

You're right... "amount of posts you have doesn't mean you are a better member than someone else"... never said it was... but for someone with only a fist full of posts to come in and start givin it large about "what's a "no no", shows a lack of tact... and that alone, probably shows that you do, in fact belong here... but I'm calling you a cheeky fucker for it... and if you can't take that... then maybe you don't belong here... you starting to get this place yet?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11439
Joined: 7 years ago

5 years ago

Appreciate the love I'm feeling here guys, have to say. And yes Sid, Joe Hart is a cunt, could we have a Joe Hart Avatar, only to be used in the direst of circumstances, like when replying to a Danni post?

Alf, bit harsh on the new kid on the block with his Commodore 64 Mario cart duck hunt tomb raider shite that I didn't understand a word of either, but it's probably a better approach than using up all my email accounts on the caf to detail how shit TC23 was and to promote this place, it even detects my IP address now on a new phone, tech mumf probably understands how that works when I'm out and about and it's not a usual wi fi address.

Anyway, aye, bit more red and the ability to insert photos and other attachments on phone or other devices without having to get the laptop or pc on, if this can be done already can someone explain how to do it because none of the buttons on a reply work for me unless I'm on a laptop.

With regards to promoting the forum, why do we need to do it externally, on the main page with the articles and the rant cast, why can't the forum be promoted on the cast each week and why can't it be promoted on the articles, in fact, why can't each article be posted and locked at the top of the forum for a week and that comments bit on each article be removed so all those randoms who never post on here can't have their own wee mini forum as they do now, just put a link at the end of the article which takes them to the forum if they want a discussion.

Easy fixes?
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Post Reply